police response numbers

ZaE

6 hours ago, Engelbert said:

Police officers are not out there to rack up likes from the public. That's a common misconception.

IRL public relations are actually hugely important for any significant PD. IRL the LAPD certainly puts a big priority on public relations. Most modern policing in 2021 actually has a strong emphasis on PR since its pretty universally acknowledged that police-public trust is very badly eroded in 2021. This doesn't mean ignoring things, or doing whatever the public wants, but it does mean public reaction is considered as an important factor.

6 hours ago, Engelbert said:

People complain that cops are robocops without personality. Wrong, they are not allowed to express their personalities on duty. 

Okay, as an adult that lives in America IRL, this is silly. Cops are very personable all the time. I've had lots of encounters with police -- no not as a violent criminal, duh -- but from traffic stops, to the fact that we had police in our highschools, to having cops come into places I work, and so on. Police are absolutely allowed to joke around, be personable, and use quite a bit of discretion in how they react to situations.

All in all I'm personally all for the current level of police response, its appropriate, but the notion that public relations don't matter and cops aren't personable is just not an accurate reflection of modern America.

Yes that's US, I am talking about EU mostly. Here where I live, they pull you over, tell you what they want from you and expect you to obey without a word.

If you won't, they will tell you to step out. And if by any means they suspect, you were doing something, or you having something on you. They won't even ask you in polite tone. They simply tell you to face the wall and frisk you. You could argue about that being an abuse, but that's how our laws work and that's why in my country people live their lives without being worried about being mugged or something. Cause that does not happen here as often as in other countries.

Edited by Engelbert
17 hours ago, averycoolguy said:

Those calls are usually someone throwing verbal diarheea at you and they have no follow-ups. Unless you've got video proof of what happened cops can't do anything about it. They're not gonna arrest a guy just because you say they shagged your nan.

If you have a crime to report go to the LSPD forums and write a crime complaint.

I was literally reporting dead bodies.

8 hours ago, Sycamour said:

I was literally reporting dead bodies.

A lot of LEOs avoid dead body calls because they're take a lot of time to 'resolve' and frustrating most of the time. Since the guy already did /acceptdeath there isn't much the LEO character or LSFD can do, casings mean nothing because criminals usually use stolen guns, you can't contact the victim for details on how they died and it almost never ( maybe 1 in 1000 ) leads to a follow-up where you can actually pursue a lead on someone. Add in the fact that LSFD and DMEC ( coroners ) take ages to respond sometimes, and it's no wonder people avoid those calls.

Also we have like 100 bodies show up daily.

This is just another consequence of the ridiculous amount of crime and guns we have.

Edited by averycoolguy
19 hours ago, averycoolguy said:

A lot of LEOs avoid dead body calls because they're take a lot of time to 'resolve' and frustrating most of the time. Since the guy already did /acceptdeath there isn't much the LEO character or LSFD can do, casings mean nothing because criminals usually use stolen guns, you can't contact the victim for details on how they died and it almost never ( maybe 1 in 1000 ) leads to a follow-up where you can actually pursue a lead on someone. Add in the fact that LSFD and DMEC ( coroners ) take ages to respond sometimes, and it's no wonder people avoid those calls.

Also we have like 100 bodies show up daily.

This is just another consequence of the ridiculous amount of crime and guns we have.

That's not a valid response for ducking a call. You're actually talking to a coroner here.

Cops are supposed to attend the call and secure the scene for the coroners to come in and do their work. It's not a valid response that 'it takes a long time'. We're in and out in 10 minutes. It's the tradeoff for leaving a dead body in the street unattended instead.  We cannot attend a body scene without you. Furthermore, if no coroners are present, LEO's have the ability to /sendtomorgue to remove the body and passive coroners. It's always finished within ten minutes unless it's a larger scene.

Edited by Sycamour
9 hours ago, Sycamour said:

That's not a valid response for ducking a call. You're actually talking to a coroner here.

Cops are supposed to attend the call and secure the scene for the coroners to come in and do their work. It's not a valid response that 'it takes a long time'. We're in and out in 10 minutes. It's the tradeoff for leaving a dead body in the street unattended instead.  We cannot attend a body scene without you. Furthermore, if no coroners are present, LEO's have the ability to /sendtomorgue to remove the body and passive coroners. It's always finished within ten minutes unless it's a larger scene.

I disagree. Time is a precious resource. People shouldn't be expected to invest upwards of 10 minutes on a scene while waiting on a faction that's clearly undermanned. If you can't make it within 5 minutes you should ask them to NPC. If you're at another scene, ask them to NPC.

There's a reason so many LEOs duck corpse calls. It's because they're boring, a waste of time, and you're usually stuck waiting and doing nothing. It sucks. People spend 8 hours at their office job, the last thing they want is more paperwork in their free time or wait around for FD/DMEC which are clearly undermanned when compared to this server's crime rate.

Edited by averycoolguy
12 hours ago, Sycamour said:

Respectfully, I would like to ask you to get into LEO's shoes because I believe you will understand why LEOs dodge most corpse calls.

Corpse calls can indeed take away your time because; you have to secure the area, call detectives and fill an incident report. All these can take 30 mins to 60. Now, multiple that with... 10 corpse calls? 100? You are no longer RPing, you are now playing a Corpse Simulator game.

I'm not sure how long it takes for Coroners to write up reports and so on but for LEO factions, it can be very tiring. Besides, most corpse calls end up nothing (no leads to pursue, etc) therefore the investigation was waste of time.

I think we went off-topic too much here.

Edited by thekillergreece
5 hours ago, averycoolguy said:

I disagree. Time is a precious resource. People shouldn't be expected to invest upwards of 10 minutes on a scene while waiting on a faction that's clearly undermanned. If you can't make it within 5 minutes you should ask them to NPC. If you're at another scene, ask them to NPC.

There's a reason so many LEOs duck corpse calls. It's because they're boring, a waste of time, and you're usually stuck waiting and doing nothing. It sucks. People spend 8 hours at their office job, the last thing they want is more paperwork in their free time or wait around for FD/DMEC which are clearly undermanned when compared to this server's crime rate.

It's part of an LEO's job. Arguably LEOs have the highest rate of activity per minute played when on duty as it is, part of it is also the boring calls. For most FD members the 20th GSW call of the night is also generally boring but that's a fundamental part of the work you signed up for.

2 hours ago, thekillergreece said:

Corpse calls can indeed take away your time because; you have to secure the area, call detectives and fill an incident report. All these can take 30 mins to 60. Now, multiple that with... 10 corpse calls? 100? You are no longer RPing, you are now playing a Corpse Simulator game.

... but you are RPing. You're RPing the aftermath and the scene management of a murder. That you OOC know that it will likely take you nowhere has no effect on the fact that this is part of the RP of being an LEO.

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Koko said:

It's part of an LEO's job. Arguably LEOs have the highest rate of activity per minute played when on duty as it is, part of it is also the boring calls. For most FD members the 20th GSW call of the night is also generally boring but that's a fundamental part of the work you signed up for.

... but you are RPing. You're RPing the aftermath and the scene management of a murder.

Then you're going to end up without LEOs on the server really quick if you force people to do it, because clearly a lot of people don't like doing it, based on the ducked calls.

It's up to the server and LFM, IFM to reduce the number of bodies, improve investigation tools and reduce the homicide rate.

That you OOC know that it will likely take you nowhere has no effect on the fact that this is part of the RP of being an LEO.

Sorry champ, can't force someone to do stuff that they hate doing and is a waste of their precious time.

If FD/DMEC isn't responding fast enough I don't see why people should be forced to AFK waiting for them. I'd even argue it's against the server rules to AFK in public.

You're RPing the aftermath and the scene management of a murder

Ah yes, AFKing on a scene waiting for FD/DMEC, picking up 50 casings and running through a building to turn them in, knowing it'll never lead anywhere. How EXCITING. You really think anyone would look forward to spending 1 hour of their life doing that + paperwork after 8 hours on the job?

Be realistic.

Edited by averycoolguy
  • Upvote 2
On 10/4/2021 at 6:03 AM, Engelbert said:

Police officers are not out there to rack up likes from the public. That's a common misconception. Police is here to maintain order, that is their priority.

If the law says you cannot have tint grade 3 on your windows, why would you even put it there? In my country, for example speeding through the city or blowing it on red light is not only considered as traffic violation, but depending on traffic density and time of the day also endangering of public safety, which warrants for license suspension and driving school re-examination. People complain that cops are robocops without personality. Wrong, they are not allowed to express their personalities on duty.  As for the rest. Increased police presence anywhere from a traffic stop to shooting in Davis is direct consequence of loose cannon habit of majority of criminals.

Public consensus and a good relationship with the community is important to policing.

Edited by Wuhtah
Took out unneeded comment.
  • Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic