The Park Rangers Discussion

aughh capybara

18 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

It’d fault the faction more than the Front Street Watts Crips robbing people in the county. The park rangers as an organization has no respect for the people in the county, there’s no development or relationship to it. Notice that I’ve never said the act of checking people or doing a speed trap is inherently bad, but look at the LSSD. The LSSD doesn’t choke or suppress people in the county, meanwhile I could spend hours in a drug lab only to walk out the door and find park rangers using the lawn as their staging point for a DUI speed enforcement task force because “NATIONAL PARK”. 

The fact that SAPR are here isn’t the problem. I want more, I’d love to see the SAHP and many more agencies, California and Los Angeles County in particular is a hot mess of agencies webbed together, on top of each other or through each other. That said, the way the SAPR goes about waving their power around could do with a little more discretion and awareness.

I find this kinda hard to believe, but I am not saying it's not happening. I can only speak from my own experience with SAPR, which were random checks on hippie parties where weed was smoked (they ignored that). Speedtraps around Chilliad where I was caught few times and left with a warning every time. In the end, it's a park. And in the park the ranger is the boss imo. Piping down would help perhaps, but criminal situation on the server is that horrible at times, that I wonder why cops still have to warn you before shooting. I wouldn't.

Edited by Engelbert
5 minutes ago, Tseard said:

To comment on your second question: I understand that it brings roleplay but with that mindset you could allow anything to pop up as it provides roleplay and fun.

The real question is: Why aren't we doing this given it's a roleplay server?

Oh right, jealously defending "hard earned" privileges in a game rofl

• Thanks 1

Would like if it SAPR had some more quality controls to permitting members, quite a significant amount of my interactions with rangers have had them speaking in below average English, and general eyebrow raising character design. If SAPR is going to look at itself as akin to a LEO faction some more education could be provided to them about these roles, I assume they are trained but I've seen SAPR rangers shit around in TTCF with no idea what they're doing in the place, nevermind the sentencing procedure. As always, this doesn't refer to all rangers, but it's enough that my opinion is unfortunately tainted.

I have an idea. How about we actually decide where the park is. SAPR could only partrol there with few limitations. If a ranger crosses those limitations, they could be sued? Cause interactions are IC. you cannot put OOC stuff on an IC interaction where Ranger is rough or outright an asshole at you. Go from there. Then I believe every LEO or other government institution has certain dresscode and rules. So make them.

Edited by Engelbert
9 minutes ago, Vassilios said:

I'm honestly unsure what you're proposing here. That SAPR turns blind eyes to labs and people digging suspicious holes in the desert?

Law enforcement and it’s roleplay are at the core of every GTA RP community in our setting. They are the agencies everyone interacts with at some point and uphold the front and back end of a fully functional legal system. It’s also one of the areas requiring a great deal of genuine responsibility. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. The LSPD and LSSD both have the means and the cause to cut, choke and subject criminal roleplay - yet they don’t. They mind the massive machine that is modern law enforcement and yield breathing room where appropriate. For some reason the SAPR hasn’t figured out that tech tree yet. 

4 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

I find this kinda hard to believe, but I am not saying it's not happening. I can only speak from my own experience with SAPR, which were random checks on hippie parties where weed was smoked (they ignored that). Speedtraps around Chilliad where I was caught few times and left with a warning every time. In the end, it's a park. And in the park the ranger is the boss imo. Piping down would help perhaps, but criminal situation on the server is that horrible at times, that I wonder why cops still have to warn you before shooting. I wouldn't.

I’ve never suggested that park rangers are bad roleplayers or that the checks are unpleasant. Like I said, I like having multiple agencies. And I’ve never had a roleplay technical issue with the park rangers, but that’s because my characters have either haphazardly bullshitted their way out or they just weren’t carrying at the time. Of course our criminal activity adapts and changes to the park rangers, but where the LSSD and LSPD leave so called sanctuaries for each field respectively, SAPR does not. 

Telling me to pipe down isn’t fair at all, regardless of what I roleplay I shouldn’t be stifled in my ability to voice the issues I see and issues that concern me. GTA W isn’t just a legal slice of life roleplay server, all the areas of roleplay coexisting is what makes this server great. I like gangbangers trolling the county as much as you do, but none of my characters are gangbangers and our roleplay has been here in the county for years. 

2 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Lol I didn't mean you. I meant, that if they act like that perhaps making rules to pipe them down, would be better solution than discussing the same thing over and over.

@eTaylor

I’m just a player, I don’t make rules or decide anything for the SAPR so discussing it is just about the only thing I can do.  Whether they do something about it is their prerogative. Limiting SAPR to just an arbitrarily drawn “park” is stupid in my opinion and goes against it being a state agency. The LSSD and LSPD function fine with mutual respect, so why can’t the SAPR show the same consideration? 

15 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Law enforcement and it’s roleplay are at the core of every GTA RP community in our setting. They are the agencies everyone interacts with at some point and uphold the front and back end of a fully functional legal system. It’s also one of the areas requiring a great deal of genuine responsibility. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. The LSPD and LSSD both have the means and the cause to cut, choke and subject criminal roleplay - yet they don’t. They mind the massive machine that is modern law enforcement and yield breathing room where appropriate. For some reason the SAPR hasn’t figured out that tech tree yet. 

But there is no shortage of opportunities for criminal roleplay at all. There is never a concern that criminal roleplay is being choked out. Its entirely the opposite, and it goes way further in that direction. If anything, poor criminal roleplay suffers from law enforcement presence. If your character doesn't wish to be spotted by law enforcement, then the default reaction shouldn't be "there is too much law enforcement present", but "perhaps my character wasn't careful enough and got caught". The reaction towards law enforcement presence also assumes that you are taking some sort of OOC loss by having a character arrested or a plan that's being thwarted. Why is this? Your character's story doesn't stop, it continues (assuming they survive) but perhaps in a different direction than the character had wished for, so what? Its not roleplaying to win, its roleplaying to tell a story.

Edited by mj2002
  • Upvote 5
  • Wuhtah locked this topic