The Park Rangers Discussion

aughh capybara

I don't really mind SAPR not being an exact replica of their irl counterparts when it comes to their duties. I've had a lot of RP generated as being part of SD just because SAPR stumbled across something patroling the great empty and called for us.

As for the hunting job, maybe the payout or entry cost for the job can be adjusted if it's such a big problem, but SAPR walking up to you mid hunting shouldn't be an issue. If anything it's giving more roleplay to you, eventually your character would be known in the are so you don't have to get bugged for a license everytime. Just like how frequent hunters irl would eventually know their local rangers and what not.

• Upvote 1

I like the SAPR, I love the SAPR and it's the only LEO faction that gladly accepted a handicapped person (aka, me. Deaf) as other factions weren't too happy about that idea, in old days. 

We create passive RP within the parks and forest. PR's Public Relations team exists and we make our presence frequency across the parks, attending events within the jurisdiction, interacting with the county locals and so on. Just because you don't see it, it don't mean we aren't doing these stuff! 🙂

Ah, LEO. "Remove SAPR, we got LSSD". The SAPR is different, we do stuff that other LEO factions don't and that's animal handling, checking hunters' papers, 100% passive LEO RP and so on. Besides, I'm confused. Why do you want SAHP if you don't want a 4th LEO faction (aka "why is SAPR leo")? But, to be frank? The LSSD loves us and I'm sure they would be bothered if SAPR ceases to exist.

I don't think we are "taking away" anyones RP nor fun. Most players I interacted with stated they had fun RPing with us. One of them even stated that we were the only ones who developed human emotions as LEO member.  (click link)

Fishing update is coming soon and Vassilios will work on Hunting updates (ahem, can we have mountain lions please?), it's just up to Nervous when they will be implemented.

I don't know what else needed to be said. We are a state police which has specific duties and responsibilities within the jurisdiction as well as limited duties outside of the jurisdiction. If you see a park ranger enforcing the speed limit within the parks, that's acceptable. It wouldn't be acceptable if they do it outside the jurisdiction. There's a report section, there's Internal Affairs in place and so on if you need to report someone.

Please take that survey, thanks. 🙂

• Applaud 1

Was fun in the beginning, and park rangers are generally not bad roleplayers. They just love to choke out criminal roleplay and stomp their foot down on your throat. As of late there’s no going around them, the county used to be a niche sanctuary with a certain vibe to it. Now there’s times where its more heavily patrolled than Davis. You’ll get rangers camping laboratories, digging in the ground in the most remote corners of the Grand Senora desert gets you surround by rangers. Nearly every run be it on trails or just the open road gets you scrutinized by rangers. And nearly everything is a national park.

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Was fun in the beginning, and park rangers are generally not bad roleplayers. They just love to choke out criminal roleplay and stomp their foot down on your throat. As of late there’s no going around them, the county used to be a niche sanctuary with a certain vibe to it. Now there’s times where its more heavily patrolled than Davis. You’ll get rangers camping laboratories, digging in the ground in the most remote corners of the Grand Senora desert gets you surround by rangers. Nearly every run be it on trails or just the open road gets you scrutinized by rangers. And nearly everything is a national park.

And guess who's at fault? People hunting hunters for guns and people randomly finding a car in the wilderness and breaking into it.

Just now, Engelbert said:

And guess who's at fault? People hunting hunters for guns and people randomly finding a car in the wilderness and breaking into it.

It’d fault the faction more than the Front Street Watts Crips robbing people in the county. The park rangers as an organization has no respect for the people in the county, there’s no development or relationship to it. Notice that I’ve never said the act of checking people or doing a speed trap is inherently bad, but look at the LSSD. The LSSD doesn’t choke or suppress people in the county, meanwhile I could spend hours in a drug lab only to walk out the door and find park rangers using the lawn as their staging point for a DUI speed enforcement task force because “NATIONAL PARK”. 

The fact that SAPR are here isn’t the problem. I want more, I’d love to see the SAHP and many more agencies, California and Los Angeles County in particular is a hot mess of agencies webbed together, on top of each other or through each other. That said, the way the SAPR goes about waving their power around could do with a little more discretion and awareness.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

I'm honestly unsure what you're proposing here. That SAPR turns blind eyes to labs and people digging suspicious holes in the desert?

No, the faction is definitely not needed and I was genuinely surprised it was made, considering so many people asked for a 4th law enforcement faction and were told instantly that it's not happening. I suppose having an orange name comes with it's own benefits (:eyes:). 

About a year ago there was also the discussion about state parks and the Tonga valley tribe and (while I was in the LSSD) we were actually busy creating a unit that would do actually what the park rangers would do, but on a smaller scale and it did not require a whole new faction to be made. In my opinion, that would've been way better.

Prove me wrong but less in half a year, you'll have Park Rangers do more than they were originally made to do. Every faction wants to expand and try out areas that they don't have so I wouldn't be surprised at all. 

6 hours ago, Vassilios said:

1. I am pretty sure hunting was created as a recreational activity and not as a means to become rich.

2. Does a faction existing, even if as you say it's not really needed, hurt anyone? SAPR people are having fun, people interacting with SAPR mostly have fun. You lose nothing.

To comment on your second question: I understand that it brings roleplay but with that mindset you could allow anything to pop up as it provides roleplay and fun.

Something I would be really passionate about once I start playing again. Albeit in Australia, I've worked in regulation and currently studying postgrad ag science primarily around land management. I don't mind the idea of LE per se but from what I can really see is a lot of the RP is limited within the parks, the counties, and those players in it. I've noted earlier comments about Fish and Wildlife and it appears to have been well received.

• Approaching legal factions to discuss emergency spill or cleanup procedures. I could see a lot of RP coming out of Aurum for example in ensuring they have correct environmental protection plans in place. Can not be a "show us your plan or we'll shut you down", more like working together to devise the plan.
  • Flora/fauna surveys. Consulting with SAPR prior to any major developments, etc. Along the lines of planning approval, but having SAPR ecologists surveying areas to ensure it seems appropriate to bulldoze. Creating publications on animals in urban areas (eg: racoons?)
  • Contracting. Assume for some reason there is a sudden growth in wild boar population. In real life, these animals can cause major damage to farmland, etc. Go through all the RP of contracting hunters, going through legal channels to allow for a hunt in a prohibited area, then conducting a hunt with a lot of hunters simultaneously, and the issues and tribulations that can obviously cause.
  • Wildfires. Not sure on how possible this is, but discussions and subsequent RP working with FD/State on wildfire zones. Follow up RP - managing fuel reduction burns, burning off. Lot of work with FD with S&R as well I imagine. California is huge for wildfires obviously. Firebans, etc also a possibility. 
  • Big fishing update coming obviously. However would be cool to see more in the way of RP surround SCUBA. It's cool underwater. Random events like shark sightings at a beach or two. Going through process of shoot v catch. 
  • RP surround planes. Link to above point on wildfires. Use planes to release fish (look it up, its cool as fuck). S&R
  • Farming. RPing random site checks (with players if anyone RPs farming) ensuring chemical application rates etc are all above board. Working with State on legislation re: when you can/cannot spray herbicides/fertilizers, etc. 
  • Construction. Organizing contractors with construction or trucking factions to maintain trails, walkways. Trucking factions would have fun I'm sure RPing a transportation of whatever supplies necessary to maintain cable car station for example.

Forgive my ignorance if any of this is already done. Limited personal experience with the faction.

Edited by Adm
  • Wuhtah locked this topic