The Park Rangers Discussion

aughh capybara

Hear me out before making a specific comment about why you agree with their presence or disagree with it. 

Before we deep dive into the aspect of Park Rangers, can we simply discuss the current job meta on the server? How to earn money through the server's jobs and everything? I'll start with a few basic paths of employment on the server and their general rate of return:

Taxi Drivers - $5,000 plus $500 for both licenses, as well as $300 every time you rent a taxi. From the start, you're down around $5,800 before you begin to work.
Garbage Collectors - $500 for your driver's license. From that, you're down $500 before you work.
Mechanic Work - $0. It takes you as an employee $0 to start working as a mechanic, which is one of the most (if not the best) profitable moneymakers on the server.
Bartenders - $0. As an employee, you don't have to pay anything to begin to earn $4,000 (Or however much your employer pays) per hour.
Hunters -  $10,000+ for weapons and ammunition, $25,000+ to get a decent vehicle to move carcasses - which means $10,000+$25,000 is $35,000+ before work starts. 

Which means realistically, based off of how much money you make hunting, it can be upwards of 20 runs to even get your money back and break even. 

Now I highlighted the points above because the Park Rangers' main duties involve preserving the parks and checking hunting licenses, doing scout work and working in the capacity as a Law Enforcement Officer, though restricted to the county's forests. With the current job climate in mind, the rates of return for individuals working as a Hunter are simply not worth it. When somebody DOES get the chance to go up and hunt, they're often found surrounded by Park Rangers. Me myself, I've had it before where I've had about four different cars come up and ask for some ID. I understand that the roleplay up there can be quite scarce, which is why I drive the point home.

Are Park Rangers TRULY needed? 

In theory and in practice, it's a wonderful idea... IF the job climate was more favourable for hunters. Even before they've stepped foot on the hunting grounds they're looking at paying around $35,000 for a low end car, a rifle, ammunition and the proper licensing to actually get up there and start to shoot. I get that some people might do it recreationally, and that's fine, but the problem still stands. Is a full faction truly justified for such an endeavour? I understand that yes, it also encourages roleplay up in the county, but what are they doing that the LSSD can't handle up there? 

I also got word that this:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdQmskETefp6yQ8fU2o-mWUWE3ysIqZJeN6p-nxQQr6j3Zf9g/viewform

A survey for SAPR was posted in their OWN SAPR discord. 

Discuss. And please keep it civil. 

Edited by Akali
  • Thanks 1

Let me just comment before people start to reply to the thread: I understand it encourages roleplay and the SAPR faction does a hell of a lot more than just check licenses and patrol the woods, I certainly understand that - not every portion of roleplay is supposed to accelerate server and character development. I've been asked twice with two separate SAPR surveys to fill them out and give an opinion, so instead of that where nobody sees the feedback, this is what this thread is for!

i initially thought park rangers was cool when I though they would play a more non-leo park ranger/nature conservation role with some influence to preventing wrongful or illegal hunting. but from what I’ve seen ingame they are essentially a LSSD copy and act more like a state wide law enforcement faction 

• Upvote 6
20 minutes ago, Akali said:

Hunters -  $10,000+ for weapons and ammunition, $25,000+ to get a decent vehicle to move carcasses - which means $10,000+$25,000 is $35,000+ before work starts. 

Just wanted to pop in and point out that the license alone is 10k.  The weapon required for hunting is 15k.  Ammunition is, well, whatever you want to spend on it up to a certain point.  25k can net you a cheap truck, but a Bodhi which is generally one of the cheaper, better options for that type of RP (Winch on the front to get you out of mud/etc) I think costs around 35k?  So factoring that all together it's closer to around 55k to start hunting.  Though from what I have been told, hunting was supposed to be more of a hobby than a job.

As for the topic itself-- I always expected more conservation efforts from Park Rangers, but I haven't been seeing that for the most part.  Most of it's been just another flavor of LEO RP.  While that is a fraction of a Ranger's job, I'd like to see more conservation RP from them as a whole.  There's a lot that can be done with that sort of RP that could make for enjoyable events.  A civilian section for like conservation RP (Nursing wounded animals back to health/public educational events etc.) might be a good addition to the faction.

Edited by Dewclaw
1 minute ago, Pádraig said:

I don't think focusing on the job meta or script is the correct approach to deciding whether something has merit to be on the server. If good RP is created have at it. Other great examples include the port and LSX gate guards 

I think I only really highlighted the job meta is because if the job meta was more favourable towards hunters, where they'd earn MORE money, there'd be a much higher presence of hunters up there that aren't just there for recreation, but employment! 

• aughh capybara changed the title to The Park Rangers Discussion
18 minutes ago, starbuck said:

i initially thought park rangers was cool when I though they would play a more non-leo park ranger/nature conservation role with some influence to preventing wrongful or illegal hunting. but from what I’ve seen ingame they are essentially a LSSD copy and act more like a state wide law enforcement faction 

That's because it's the exact role they take in modern day California, they are state police. It's their purpose.

As someone else mentioned, at the start it was okay but they've just turned into a 4th law enforcement faction. From my perspective they don't provide RP to encourage people to leave the city and visit the national parks. I would so much rather the faction be removed and replaced with a SADCR to faciliate prison RP over county jail. Prison works so much better and is easier for players to understand.

Edited by shotgun_sam
  • Applaud 1
2 minutes ago, shotgun_sam said:

As someone else mentioned, at the start it was okay but they've just turned into a 4th law enforcement faction. From my perspective they don't provide RP to encourage people to leave the city and visit the national parks. I would so much rather the faction be removed and replaced with a SADCR to faciliate prison RP over county jail. Prison works so much better and is easier for players to understand.

Just as a notice (for everyone also), the SAPR have very heavy restrictions on themselves with regards to how they exercise their law enforcement powers. Yes, the San Andreas Park Rangers are a fourth law enforcement faction. By definition, this is true. The agency is a state-level agency and they provide for a lot of roleplay. They don't answer calls unless it's park/forest related, within the bounds of what SAPR should be handling, if it happens right in front of a Ranger (because otherwise, imagine a Ranger driving away as you need help), or if they're requested to take the call or assist.

• Thanks 1

Reform is needed in my opinion.

I’m not too educated on the topic but something irks me about seeing another law enforcement faction that is the equivalent to Grapeseed PD.

Ive heard some bad things about SAPR, and a member trying to fine someone for running back to their car after crashing. 

It just needs a shape up or should be replaced with SADCR.

• Upvote 2
  • Wuhtah locked this topic