Constant unexplained crashes on launch

Miharu

Hi all,

I have googled this, searched YouTube, tried the Rage forums, read through topics on here, and I just can't find any sort of an answer that works. I am desperate to solve this problem because it is so frustrating, and I've just bought a new gaming laptop to play here but really cannot sustain spending 30-40 minutes trying to get in game just to play.

I am running Windows 10.

I have GTA V running through the Rockstar Games Launcher.

I have both GTA V and RageMP installed on the same drive - the internal C drive SSD on my computer.

I launch updater.exe in Administrator mode. The server selector client opens. I select GTA:W.

The selector closes and a box pops up with a GTA style image saying 'Validating Server Assets'.

This window disappears, and Rockstar Games Launcher opens. It says 'Loading'.

That window disappears, and a black screen loads in windowed mode.

That window stays for 3-4 seconds, then disappears

The RageMP client is no longer running, and and the window for Rockstar Games Launcher is gone, although it is still running in the tray.

It takes 20-30 re-attempts of doing this every single time I want to play. Eventually, it will work and the game will load randomly, despite just doing the same thing over and over again.

I'm open to literally any ideas to try and make this stop, because it's so frustrating. I end up being annoyed by the time I get in game... games are supposed to chill you out, not wind you up! 

Grateful for any ideas. 

1 hour ago, Castellanos said:

Hi all,

I have googled this, searched YouTube, tried the Rage forums, read through topics on here, and I just can't find any sort of an answer that works. I am desperate to solve this problem because it is so frustrating, and I've just bought a new gaming laptop to play here but really cannot sustain spending 30-40 minutes trying to get in game just to play.

I am running Windows 10.

I have GTA V running through the Rockstar Games Launcher.

I have both GTA V and RageMP installed on the same drive - the internal C drive SSD on my computer.

I launch updater.exe in Administrator mode. The server selector client opens. I select GTA:W.

The selector closes and a box pops up with a GTA style image saying 'Validating Server Assets'.

This window disappears, and Rockstar Games Launcher opens. It says 'Loading'.

That window disappears, and a black screen loads in windowed mode.

That window stays for 3-4 seconds, then disappears

The RageMP client is no longer running, and and the window for Rockstar Games Launcher is gone, although it is still running in the tray.

It takes 20-30 re-attempts of doing this every single time I want to play. Eventually, it will work and the game will load randomly, despite just doing the same thing over and over again.

I'm open to literally any ideas to try and make this stop, because it's so frustrating. I end up being annoyed by the time I get in game... games are supposed to chill you out, not wind you up! 

Grateful for any ideas. 

https://forum.gta.world/en/topic/60237-ragemp-goes-to-black-screen-then-crashes/

Personally if there is any form of video playing, youtube, vlc, anything, then I crash everytime I log in.

Having discord open causes issues for me too.

Not sure if this will help, just thought I mention just in case, as you said you're open to anything. 

Edited by EMC
On 9/28/2021 at 9:19 PM, Jankara said:

I experienced something similar recently and it turned out I had a left part of a single player mod in my main folder.  

Thanks for your reply - I'm confident it's not this as the only thing I've done with GTA:V is play GTAW. I haven't modded anything SP related whatsoever.

On 9/29/2021 at 11:54 AM, Kimberly said:

I had this problem, anything Xbox related esp Xbox Identity Provider was my issue. Must be closed via processes every single time. 

Thanks for the reply. I've checked for xbox-related processes and quit them. I didn't have Xbox Identity Provider running, but did have 'Game Services' with two sub-processes. I tried quitting them and re-launching, no luck. Same problem.

14 hours ago, EMC said:

Personally if there is any form of video playing, youtube, vlc, anything, then I crash everytime I log in.

Having discord open causes issues for me too.

Not sure if this will help, just thought I mention just in case, as you said you're open to anything. 

Thanks for the reply. I definitely don't have anything running in the background, literally just the RageMP client.

I've tried quitting Discord and re-launching, no luck, same problem.

Edited by Castellanos

I would love if anyone has any ideas. I've spent the last two hours sat trying to connect to the server, which is all the time I'm available to play. I've tried other servers and the problem is the same. I've uninstalled Rage and reinstalled it again. I've updated the drivers on my computer. I've attempted to connect to the server 60+ times today and the problem remains the same.

Given that I just sunk a thousand pounds into a laptop to play this game, I'd love if someone could help me to make this work so that I don't have a thousand pound paperweight I don't have any other use for, haha. 

Edit: Found reference to turning off NVIDIA shadowplay. Tried this, and disabled NVIDIA experience altogether. Still no change.

Another edit: I'm now attempting uninstalling Rockstar Game Launcher and Rage and have re-bought the game through Steam and will try re-installing again. 

Edited by Castellanos
  • Orbit locked this topic