Delete

Flou

I appreciate the thought behind the overall idea, but the proposed solution is not practical. Instead, when presented with bad English to the extent as described above, it is far easier to simply ban the player and perform any English tests deemed relevant during ban appeals.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

I appreciate the thought behind the overall idea, but the proposed solution is not practical. Instead, when presented with bad English to the extent as described above, it is far easier to simply ban the player and perform any English tests deemed relevant during ban appeals.

Pretty much this.

15 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

The problem with this is that it's not strictly enforced by admins. I've reported countless times IG about bad English and nothing was done. In fact, this suggestion wouldn't be here if such players were not let in during the application process. How many forum reports have you seen about bad English? Practically zero, and I don't blame players for not doing so. It'll seem like an extremely petty move especially after falling victim to a robbery/murder committed by the player with bad English.

Adding to this, players might be reluctant to report others due to interactions IG or being OOC friends, because they know their friends may be banned. You must also know that not all players respond kindly to criticism. Probation allows players to continue RP that they already had ongoing.

Here's an example of how things go now:

Scenario 1: Player uses bad English -> faction member PMs them to correct them -> Player responds with "whatever idc lol" -> faction is unwilling to report due to fear of getting player banned/faction simply kicks him and player goes to another faction that is more 'welcoming' -> Bad English continues (due to lack of enforcement).

Scenario 2: Player uses bad English -> acquaintance notices, PMs them to correct them -> player responds with "whatever idc lol" -> acquaintance wants to report but finds it too petty/has dealings with them ICly (reporting them could cause them to lose a plug or w/e) -> Bad English continues (due to lack of enforcement).

With probation in place, these scenarios would likely change:

Scenario 1: Player uses bad English -> faction member PMs to correct them -> Player responds with "whatever idc lol" -> faction is more willing to report player due to the absence of a ban -> player gets probation, understands that if he doesn't improve, he'll go. Therefore, player is more willing to seek help -> faction is there to guide player along the way -> English improves.

Scenario 2: Player uses bad English -> acquaintance notices, PMs them to correct them -> player responds with "whatever idc lol" -> acquaintance is more willing to report -> player gets probation -> the RP they had will continue -> English improves

I understand that admins are already busy as it is. Perhaps players with good English can be recruited as staff (not the actual support/admin team) to see through the probation process (handling reports, appeals and releases). 

1 hour ago, Daquan Kingston said:

I disagree. I often play on Spanish servers and the community is helpful instead of punishing for my Spanish level. It really makes roleplaying overall more enjoyable and the player more inclined towards learning, plus Latinas.

That's basically the whole idea of my suggestion - to allow players with poor English to enjoy the game and be helped rather than simply banning them. I don't know what you're disagreeing with...?

1 hour ago, honey. said:

The process of reporting as it is is pretty simple, this would just add unnecessary hoops to an already easy system. See it, report it, sort it. Not all reports will be reviewed as sometimes we get thousands of reports in one night, that's why we have the forums.

I'm trying to put this as politely as I can... take a look at the forum reports section. There are reports that have been left untouched since the start of this month. That's a month's worth of poor quality interactions with zero help rendered or enforcement if we were to simply leave it to forum reports.

This is also why I included this in one of my replies, in order to reduce admin workload if this is implemented: "I understand that admins are already busy as it is. Perhaps players with good English can be recruited as staff (not the actual support/admin team) to see through the probation process (handling reports, appeals and releases). "

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 3:50 PM, Daquan Kingston said:

I disagree. I often play on Spanish servers and the community is helpful instead of punishing for my Spanish level. It really makes roleplaying overall more enjoyable and the player more inclined towards learning, plus Latinas.

Amen. We need to help other players instead of being elitists.

Secondly, I fear that there will be whole army of "grammar nazis" who will be reporting players for minor grammar mistakes. 

Thirdly, I think that people who have quote on quote "subpar english" find themselves quickly enough without a job, without a faction and without the people that are willing to RP with them. Therefore, they have to learn the english better or they eventually quit the game because it's boring just to drive around without job/faction/friends. So, I think it's natural process! Of course, folks who can't speak english at all, well... I fear that banning them is only option. Learning a language from a scratch takes years, so... You have to know the ropes.

TL:DR We shouldn't intervene because people who know the ropes will naturally better themselves or quit the game all together.

Edited by Revolter

I'm sure there's a line to draw between what's acceptable and what is not. I'd personally say that as long as that player can understand you and you can understand them, it's alright. If there are more major communication issues, that's when it becomes a problem. We have /autogrammar, which means that the script already detects some grammar issues - maybe automatically scan new players' dialogues and flag those with questionable English, then automatically prompt them with warnings to push them towards using punctuation and capitalization - this idea can be expanded, it's automatic and won't put a strain on the admin team's workload, while also giving people a chance to join even without perfect English skills. It's also relatively easy to code.

The bigger problem here is not that they're not speaking perfectly, but rather that they likely had someone else write their applications for them, which means they shouldn't be in-game in the first place. I've heard of people getting denied for issues relating to their grammar or overall knowledge of the English language, so it's highly unlikely that someone who doesn't speak English well at all managed to write an acceptable application and only showed their true colors once they were online.

• Flou changed the title to Delete
  • Wuhtah locked this topic