[LSNN] A sex worker's confession: "Los Santos isn't safe."

starcaller

5yHwzO3.png

Y8l4IDT.png

Y8l4IDT.png

A sex worker's confession: "Los Santos isn't safe."

BY VALERIA ANDREEVA

The beauty of a woman has been the cause of wars, and it has been worshiped since ancient times. It is the desire to own it, to control it, that has made the human race devolve into an unrecognizable, repulsive mess of cruelty, brutality, and violence. 

Ry4r7s2BPvskolp6FaCztNvLfZeECwFsIadJdiUwi4GUP0hz7UUqrEtKmuEPk4A2ogcpABs6vUp0632vvRZ4Www8yPADHPUBuepCRcTu9WpPWrR9XUo7nSl86PvDaLNhIoV5bIm2=s0

I met with a lady whom I’ll call Alice, for the sake of respecting her anonymity. We met at a club through a mutual friend; she was a mature woman, mid-thirties. We discussed trending topics about Los Santos, spoke about our past, and laughed. I was surprised when she told me what she does for a living; I would’ve never guessed. I told her I was a journalist and that only piqued her interest Alice told me she was a prostitute, and even a “veteran” at it, as she so delicately put it with a chuckle. In the following evening, I pried into Alice’s life and she agreed to tell her story. 

Alice comes from France and came to America when she was eighteen, now being at the age of thirty-six. She takes splendid care of herself; ebony hair, delicate posture, beautiful complexion, and azure eyes; dewy, sorrowful eyes that betray a grim past. 

Alice and I disconnected from the world as we sat in a local pub. It was dimly lit, serene and quiet. The only noise was the silent chattering of the people inside and the subtle jazz music that enchanted the atmosphere. Alice wanted to share her story, and I gave her the chance. I listened to her and looked into her past, and I found myself utterly shocked. 

Alice introduced me to her family’s background shortly; she wasn’t very uncomfortable talking about it and couldn’t meet my gaze when we spoke of it. Alice's story begins when she was eighteen and sold to a wealthy man by her father, destined to marry. Shortly after their honeymoon was over, Alice was forced to prostitute and sell her body to complete strangers.

“During dinner once, shortly before I had turned eighteen, my father, who was turkish and believed in old traditions, told me that he’s sold me to an arranged marriage type of deal. My mother and I were shocked-- no, that’s an understatement. No words could describe how my mother and I felt--.. how I felt, knowing that I was sold to a complete stranger. My mother desperately tried to talk him out of it, even threatened him with divorce, contacting authorities and whatnot; he didn’t relent. My father was a big, tall and bearish man. He didn’t take no for an answer. That was the first time money bought me. My heart sunk.”

As Alice’s story unfolded and dwelled into the depths of her past, her emotions fluttered out of her; she describes herself as a frigid, cold, and distant person, saying that emotions are for the weak. But reminiscing about the beginning of her tragedy brought tears to her eyes, which only told me that everything she’s experienced was buried deep inside of her and she kept burying it deeper and deeper. Her facade dropped. She told me about her arranged marriage and the man she wed, whom I’ll call John in this story.

“I married a Turkish man. He had the same crazed flames dancing in his deep hazel eyes, just like my dad did. He was part of his circle and they knew each other personally and very well at that. The wedding trial was pure suffering, as far as I remember. I have completely blocked out that day from my memory, so I can’t go into details about it. We moved to Mexico after the wedding. We lived in a big, fancy mansion- but it felt empty. I didn’t feel at home there and I wanted to leave and considered it many times. But I didn’t, because I was scared. John was uncomfortably calm, very refined, and well-mannered. He came from a wealthy family. The first month with him was quiet and I endured it with ease, but things got progressively worse after it.” 

Alice paused after this; she needed a moment to collect herself and gather her thoughts. This is when a new chapter opens in her story; a chapter of misery, suffering, and abuse. Her husband, or rather pimp, begins to force her into sex work along with other women from his secret affairs. Broken and bridled, Alice’s mentality shatters to pieces and what we consider shocking and describe as a repulsive lifestyle, is a normal reality for her. Domestic violence, drug overdoses, physical and mental abuse were only some of the things she experienced in her youth. Things that not many people could handle and survive, Alice suffered through them. 

“We barely spoke. His English was not good, but good enough for basic communication. He told me about the plans he had for me and that if I try to run away or seek help, I won’t like the outcome. I was a girl of eighteen, fragile and scared. Could I really oppose a man twice my size? I surely tried, and that’s one of the many times where he beat me senselessly after using me. When night came, one of his men dressed me scantly and very cheaply. Cougar print everything; heels, skirt, and corset. Those were the clothes that my clients knew me for. Every night, one of his men drove me around clubs, shady corners, and clients’ houses. John booked me with clients. At least ten per night. They liked that I was young. I always put up a fight beforehand, hoping that someone would help me. That only enthralled them. Some of the men were gentle, some were brutal. I was unlucky to get more of the second ones, sadly. I did not know that men enjoyed broken women. I only thought that John did, but I was wrong. Every night, I came ‘home’ bruised and bloodied, with my makeup smudged. I looked awful- I looked like the women I always despised. I was one of those women, now- one of those cheap, senseless women. John collected the money I made every night, not even giving me a penny. And of course, every following night that I was working, he was the last one to use me. I was at the bottom and I was only digging deeper. I became a drug addict. I couldn’t lose myself any further.”

tDH_w8WTvlZLCjSYy--cYIyYf0yvDGBSx8XVSHMILwGcik7Z5a6Yc-iI1tcAMJCkGJqBRPp-QqntK_q0jJ6kg_SUj5qRhpCk4hM4_cFL13I3KI3EKuQMU5RzVLuDqZDTmOOs9HYm=s0

I listened and I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, but I did. Alice couldn’t be any more sincere and genuine than she already was. Her eyes were dewy and watered, and her voice was constantly cracking and on the verge of breaking; a sound that gave me goosebumps. Alices showed me many of the scars scattered along her body; slices, deep cuts, and primarily, cigarette burns. Some men used her as an ashtray, she told me. I could not muster any questions back to her. Alice was an open book and continued narrating her story. After lighting up a cigarette and sticking it between her crimson-painted lips, she continued. 

“This continued for twelve years. Until I was thirty. I had grown used to this lifestyle and I learned how to slither low to avoid John’s violence. He had tamed me, he told all of his friends. I didn’t stop thinking about leaving him during all those years, though. But I couldn’t, not without getting as close as I could to him. He learned to trust me, and even let me manage his flock of concubines. Although, he still continued to sell me on the streets frequently; to the most disgusting men I’ve ever met. You know, I’ve actually been with -thousands- of men. Anyway, he trusted me, and that was all I wanted. We had stopped sleeping in the same bed after our marriage, but after all these years, he occasionally allowed me in his bed after he was done with me. We were still legally married at that point and we attended places together. We were at this club, me and him, along with his group of men. They were all pimps, by the way, accompanied by their workers. To this day, I still recall how a fight broke between three of the men that ended up distracting them all. I was carrying heroin and cocaine in my purse, as always, along with some other things. I carried it because I either sold it or took it myself. I don’t know how I got the courage, but I remember dumping a package of cocaine and another package of heroin in his drink. He always drank whiskey and was constantly drunk, so he couldn’t really make out the difference in color or texture. My heart was racing, and when I tell you this, I mean it was about to explode. The pig was greedy enough and drank his remaining drink at once. He always had health issues and specifically, heart problems. He rarely took drugs because he couldn’t handle them. He had a seizure and an ambulance took him to the ER. He died from overdosing. That was my chance and I took it. I and another one of his girls ran that same night. Some of the men followed us everywhere, even here. ”

Alice paused here. The tears were no more, nor was the cracking of her voice. I assumed the story ends here- expecting a happily ever after, just like in a fairytale. Although, I knew her story didn’t conclude there.

“I was thirty when I ended up in the state of San Andreas. Five years there, in different cities, I was somewhat lost. I had grown so used to a specific lifestyle that I couldn’t live in different circumstances. No money, no drugs, nothing- just emptiness. All I had was my body and my freedom. And I did what I was taught. I sold my body, letting money buy me for God knows how many times more. Prostituting, nearly overdosing, and almost getting killed by clients. I knew I wasn’t worth much.”

Those five years passed for Alice, living with the same habits she once had. She is a drug addict and a sex worker. Money buys her and continues to do so. She was ‘satisfied’ back then. That brings us to now. I asked Alice about Los Santos and how she ended up here.

I still prostitute and sell myself. I’ve been here for a year and a half, so far. Los Santos is a big city with a lot of people. You’d be surprised at what goes around and who does what. Many of the people have clean public images, but they don’t want you to know what happens behind the curtains. A lot of people know them, but not many know what they do. It’s the same for me. Many know me, but they don’t know this and why I do it. I was owned by a pimp here too. I worked for him for a while, under similar circumstances. He was a monster. But he’s dead now, for good. Although, during the time that I worked for him, it was equally bad. I'll call him Daneiel. Daniel was involved in the mafia and all sorts of affairs. He stayed low, but people knew him. He did a lot of money laundering and drug trafficking. Even I sold drugs for him. It was a similar situation, and I couldn't really leave or seek help, since I would likely not be here if I did. He let clients do whatever they want to me and some other girls. A lot of men from my past are here, and they know I’m here too. And there are men that have similar intentions towards women here, but they’re very low and ones that people wouldn’t suspect. I will go about this in-depth, but I don’t want the following included.”

After Alice told me about her experience in Los Santos, it made me wonder. We are familiar with the nightlife of Los Santos, but what else does it hold? I had another question and I asked about prostitution in Los Santos.

“You don’t see them often, do you? Not many do. But prostitutes exist in Los Santos, they’re everywhere. The majority of dancers in clubs? Prostitutes. Some have pimps, some don’t- but they’ll end up getting themselves one if they’re not careful enough. Some of the girls I've met work on their own, just to make some extra money on the side. Most have pimps, though. Are we safe? I don't think so. I know many girls who sell themselves, just like I do. You just have to be cautious. I know there was a bill about legalizing sex workers, but I don’t know more about it. Los Santos isn’t a safe city for women who sell themselves, whether by choice or force.  At all."

Alice paused here. It’s a rarity, but I was at a loss for words; I didn’t know if I was shocked, pitiful, or remorseless. After asking her if she had any last words, she smiled.

“Life exists, even after this much damage and trauma. There is life after people have told you that you belong nowhere, that you are nothing, that you are worthless, and that you will never mean anything. No one deserves to be sold against their will, be it man or woman. I will probably will never recover. Don’t be afraid to seek help, girls. Do it before it’s too late.”

Alice claimed that many women work in this trade, but so far I’ve only found one more from the industry, despite my efforts to find more, but allegedly, they're all around us. As pointed out, they’re careful and tip-toe their way around. Alice told me in-depth about her story so far in Los Santos, but she asked me not to include it in this article, otherwise I would be compromising her safety. The bill that Alice addressed wasn’t successful, lacking the necessary votes to pass and take power. Prostitution is the most ancient profession known to mankind, and it is surely practiced in Los Santos; but to what extent? Prostitution is illegal in Los Santos and the dangers of it are numerous, as Alice told me. The prostitution market in Los Santos is grim and shady and often involves affairs other than women selling their bodies, such as drug trafficking.

u_WNdnB0NG1mzNQ5zfMIA56b-Z09L40nHbXntC-XIEdGjHeiC0iPKu40v7SNefAvEMsCyzMjkhe0EejHeN2M8iDHXaQQFG85WDZ6jJcRNyfiBND5c-qkfP5wlsLRpCMCOHxNSuZD=s0

The story of Alice; a girl sold to an arranged marriage by her money-hungry father, against her will. A woman that was forced to sell her dignity, soul, and body for nothing. A woman that is broken beyond repair.

If you have a story from Los Santos that you wish to share under complete anonymity, contact me.

Y8l4IDT.png

vBDvzT0.png

> Comments are enabled.

Username: 

Comment:

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 2

Username: 1pizza

Comment: You call this shit news? This stuff's a joke, that's like me making an article about how the sky is blue. Literally EVERYONE fucking knows this is true, not just in LS, literally EVERYWHERE. You guys really need to step up your game, this shit's getting close to Buzzfeed level.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, HaminLord said:

Username: 1pizza

Comment: You call this shit news? This stuff's a joke, that's like me making an article about how the sky is blue. Literally EVERYONE fucking knows this is true, not just in LS, literally EVERYWHERE. You guys really need to step up your game, this shit's getting close to Buzzfeed level.

Username: Phoebe H.

Comment: It kinda does qualify as news when the Republican party shot down the sex work legalization bill in the State Senate, which is partly why 'Alice' here has to operate in the shadows?

Edited by books
1 hour ago, books said:

Comment: It kinda does qualify as news when the Republican party shot down the sex work legalization bill in the State Senate, which is partly why 'Alice' here has to operate in the shadows?

Username: Ayzee

Comment: Please explain how the sex work bill failing explains how her father sold her into sex slavery and her husband is a pimp. Facts were presented, passing that bill statistically shows more abuse in women because it’s legalized and easier to claim legitimacy. I feel like I’m the only one that heard these facts being presented during the hearing.

Also. Political bias?? We can never have unbiased news reporting.

Edited by Zani
  • Upvote 1

Username: in.kaos.we.trust

Comment: sex work is real work. it's time to move past outdated conservative agendas controlling our future. legalizing sex work will bring safety to those who choose to do it. republicans are always against abortions and prostitution until the time comes to get one for their hooker.

2 hours ago, Zani said:

Username: Ayzee

Comment: Please explain how the sex work bill failing explains how her father sold her into sex slavery and her husband is a pimp. Facts were presented, passing that bill statistically shows more abuse in women because it’s legalized and easier to claim legitimacy. I feel like I’m the only one that heard these facts being presented during the hearing.

Also. Political bias?? We can never have unbiased news reporting.

Comment: It doesn't, but that's not what I claimed? 'Alice' operates outside of any legal framework because such a framework does not exist. State Republicans think it shouldn't exist, because they don't think it prevents harm coming her way. That isn't a statement that comes from a place of bias? It is a simple explanation of what happened...

3 hours ago, Gecko said:

Username: in.kaos.we.trust

Comment: sex work is real work. it's time to move past outdated conservative agendas controlling our future. legalizing sex work will bring safety to those who choose to do it. republicans are always against abortions and prostitution until the time comes to get one for their hooker.

Username: Trump

Comment:

9 minutes ago, Velja said:

Username: Trump

Comment:

Username: Alien

Comment: Actually with the new Director Daniel Edison in charge our LSNN became like CNN. Mia Adler should start supervising again instead of just sitting on her ass, what's this pro-Democratic article? Sex work is not work, it's a deviation in society and a mental sickness (lack of self-worth) and psychologists should help prostitutes, instead of society enabling such actions.

• Upvote 2