Make Kidnapping work similar to the Deathmatching Rule

LizziePup

It's more of an educational problem than an enforcement one. People need to learn to differentiate between a robbery and a kidnapping. Robberies are supposed to be a spur-of-the-moment and smash-and-grab situation if they're in the heat of the moment. Kidnappings are ordinarily planned and coordinated, whether it's for ransom or to address a vendetta. What people need to stop doing is forcing people into their cars during a robbery to drive them to a "quieter" place. If the risk is that great in the first place, you probably shouldn't be robbing people in that area to begin with. People want the reward without the risk and that's what the problem is here.

No restrictions are needed. Maybe a guideline or informative post on the expectations of a robbery would be suitable.

Edited by Chuckles
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, honey. said:

Heavily against further restrictions against illegal players and/or putting roleplay behind the admin pray-wall; this is not a PG server, we will only force criminals into a demotivation spiral if everything they do needs approval.

32 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

It's more of an educational problem than an enforcement one. People need to learn to differentiate between a robbery and a kidnapping. Robberies are supposed to be a spur-of-the-moment and smash-and-grab situation if they're in the heat of the moment. Kidnappings are ordinarily planned and coordinated, whether it's for ransom or to address a vendetta. What people need to stop doing is forcing people into their cars during a robbery to drive them to a "quieter" place. If the risk is that great in the first place, you probably shouldn't be robbing people in that area to begin with. People want the reward without the risk and that's what the problem is here.

No restrictions are needed. Maybe a guideline or informative post on the expectations of a robbery would be suitable.

Both of these pretty much. I also feel that if kidnapping permissions were a thing, most people would just opt out to avoid losing any items and it already can be pretty difficult for illegal roleplayers to find a robbery target.

3 hours ago, honey. said:

Heavily against further restrictions against illegal players and/or putting roleplay behind the admin pray-wall; this is not a PG server, we will only force criminals into a demotivation spiral if everything they do needs approval.

Putting it behind an admin pray-wall is not the right way to go about it indeed, but I think my suggestion I presented previously on this thread isn't actually all that far fetched. If you put kidnapping under the same rules as deathmatching you're basically solving the whole issue. Kidnapping people for absolutely no reason is extremely silly. Kidnapping them to rob them in a quiet place is extremely silly. You're going from robbery, to robbery and kidnapping. Escalating a possible IC sentence over nothing.

I also don't understand how people say it's hard to rob people if you can't kidnap them beforehand, it's really not that difficult. Criminals already have the advantage of being able to rob people anywhere they want, regardless of day of time. If you can't find a suitable victim in a suitable location where you can quickly go in and out to conduct your robbery? Then perhaps try again the next day.

We have the deathmatch rule in place to avoid chaos and mayhem and peoples playing experience being ruined. But I can guarantee you that a lot of people, much like me would rather get DMed by a random person out of nowhere. So we can shrug it off, spawn at the hospital and continue our day. Compared to being kidnapped out of the blue, for no reason at all and forced to roleplay that for several hours. It's a huge waste of time, and it's not exactly something that is beneficial to anyone's roleplay due to the amount of robberies/kidnappings that already occur. If you were to roleplay everything out that your character witnesses or hears, they would not leave their house because Los Santos is a scary city.

If people have a proper reason to kidnap someone, they likely have to thank themselves for it and its a direct consequense of something they've previously roleplayed so it's the risk they took by performing said actions and then the kidnapping is completely justified and it actually works properly for a persons development too as it's part of the scene they roleplay in. Random civilians being kidnapped so they can be robbed later is just not it, and it is definitely not the type of roleplay we should promote on a hardcore roleplaying server. 

Edit: I'm not advocating for a permission system, just kidnapping being treated the same way as deathmatching.

Edited by Martyn
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 2

Not going to read through this bible of a topic, but OP has a point in saying kidnapping wouldn't be done as lightly as it is now. Taking someone's freedom isn't to be taken lightly, yet it is for OOC reasons (no people around, no cops around, but on the off chance there might be in a minute, kidnapping is used to avoid that risk). Needing permissions doesn't sound like a solution, enforcing standards does.

• LizziePup changed the title to Make Kidnapping work similar to the Deathmatching Rule