Make Kidnapping work similar to the Deathmatching Rule

LizziePup

I don't think it's a worthy addition just because there will be people who will try to metagame as soon as they get /pm. It shouldn't be mandatory to request kidnap permissions if it's portrayed realistically with proper reasoning behind it. 

Edited by Eficion

whats next?

if you can come up with this and try to explain yourself, you'll definitely post a thread in a month suggesting that people should start PMing eachother if they're allowed to shoot them, use drugs in front of them, curse in front of them.... please stop posting these threads.

saying that it'll upgrade the RP standard is just bullshit, people will metagame and do whatever they can to avoid it so it doesn't happen, use the fat glob of meat and bones on your shoulders.

Edited by authentic lifestyle

No. I don't think permission should need to be given, but the amount of kidnappings just to get a few bucks or a phone is absurd and it should really be a last resort. Just kidnapping someone to rob them in a quiet place is ridiculous, scope out your locations better. If there is a well developed reason sure, but I feel like this should really be more frowned upon, you're forcing people into role-play for like an hour because you want to drive them across the map because you're scared of being caught.

• Upvote 1

Some of the replies on this are eyeroll-inducing. The player's just suggesting some kind of gate to prevent the three-deep sedan kidnappings of random people off the street most of you who are against this don't even participate in, because you're better roleplayers than that. But, along with the piss-poor robberies many people complain about, shitty kidnappings are absolutely things that happen. Just because you don't see it happen because your faction is better than that doesn't mean it isn't a thing- That's the same as saying there can be no police brutality because the cops you know are nice people. It's pretty obvious based on the explosion of responses and my familiarity with some of the users here that this thread bounced off a discord and is being bombed, but instead of just saying 'no' or trying to grill them over it, offer something constructive instead? "I think this is a bad idea because it makes gang roleplay more complicated." That's entirely valid, and is one of the first replies.

I think this guy put it best, instead of a rule where you need to report prior, just require people to need a proper reason to do so. Fishing for wallets ain't it.

On 9/26/2021 at 11:14 AM, Martyn said:

Easy solution to the problem is adding Kidnapping to the deathmatching rule. If you have a proper, well developed reason to kidnap someone and you portray it realistically? Go ahead, be my guest. You kidnap someone, just to take them somewhere quiet for a robbery or any other kind of terrible reason? Or if you roleplay it extremely poorly? You can catch an ajail. 

• Upvote 1

Imagine trying to kidnap someone at peak hours and it takes an admin 2 hours to give you the permission.

^that's exactly why this suggestion doesn't work

Also, if you pm someone asking for kidnap perms... What if they say no? Even the most poorly RP'ed kidnappings, were planned. It's not an in the moment, mid robbery, decision to kidnap someone. If someone rejects your kidnapping request, it'll basically force a voiding on the entire situation unless there's a good alternate way to do the RP. You better believe this'll be abused heavily.

Example: Group A rolls up on person B planning to kidnap them for whatever reason. Person B rejects kidnapping attempt via /pm. The only viable thing for Group A to do at this point is simply leave. They weren't gonna rob the guy nor kill him. Now with no kidnapping perms, they can't really continue the RP. You're basically giving the civilians the power to void a kidnapping scenario just by declining the perms.

Edited by ScarletRose

The issue is that the kidnappings literally aren't planned. They're planned in the same way as robberies are; roll around, find random person, do crime at them. It's unrealistic and shit, unfun roleplay that can forcefully sap several hours of your time whether you like it or not. Would you like to be forced to roleplay in the trunk of a car for five hours, just because somebody felt like kidnapping a random stranger? This is a thing that literally happens; as SWAT and PD in general, I see it multiple times a week. Untargeted, unplanned, unmotivated, and it always lasts SEVERAL hours, during which the victim can do next to nothing.

Ask yourself this: would you like to be locked in a small box with precisely no roleplay for multiple hours? You have to stay at your keyboard, and if you close the game, you'll be ajailed, definitively. That's literally what the vast majority of kidnappings on the server are. If that's your idea of fun, I don't know what to tell you.

EDIT: I should clarify planned kidnappings aren't the issue, which is what I'm trying to get at here. If you've got a good reason to take a specific someone to the woods to do whatever, that makes sense. But the non-targeted nonsense has to stop, seriously.

Edited by Sabess
8 minutes ago, Sabess said:

The issue is that the kidnappings literally aren't planned. They're planned in the same way as robberies are; roll around, find random person, do crime at them. It's unrealistic and shit, unfun roleplay that can forcefully sap several hours of your time whether you like it or not. Would you like to be forced to roleplay in the trunk of a car for five hours, just because somebody felt like kidnapping a random stranger? This is a thing that literally happens; as SWAT and PD in general, I see it multiple times a week. Untargeted, unplanned, unmotivated, and it always lasts SEVERAL hours, during which the victim can do next to nothing.

Ask yourself this: would you like to be locked in a small box with precisely no roleplay for multiple hours? You have to stay at your keyboard, and if you close the game, you'll be ajailed, definitively. That's literally what the vast majority of kidnappings on the server are. If that's your idea of fun, I don't know what to tell you.

I would not like to RP that, that's true. That just sounds like terrible RP.

But my point still stands. Giving people the ability to simply say "No" to a kidnapping attempt is not the way to go. Kidnapping isn't like ERP where you can just opt out of it simply because you don't want to experience the RP. Doesn't work like that. 

It's why I'm supporting to just making it an official rule, stating that you can't kidnap someone for no reason. PMing someone will have issues. Getting admin permission takes forever. 

Edited by ScarletRose
6 minutes ago, Sabess said:

I have to agree with this. Only few options left. Given the city has crime rate of Venezuela, because people are lazy when it comes to crime. Hell some of them don't even roleplay just blatanly go for a gun or cash grab with a stupid pre-typed oneliner. But that's not even the worst thing. Worst thing is that same idiots who want you to rp for hours during a kidnapping, are exactly those who complain when they have to sit in prison.

Edited by Engelbert
  • LizziePup changed the title to Make Kidnapping work similar to the Deathmatching Rule