Rule 17; social interaction, classifieds, friends etc:

Hi, I don't see anything wrong with editing rule 17 to allow to let people look for non-sexual, non-illegal, general classifieds like Craigslist used to host. 

Example, /ad [CLASSIFIELD] Looking for a social group or friends to hang out with, sms or call me! 

I don't see the problem with this as it's not like you're spamming it every 20 minutes or something, once an hour it pops up for maybe 30 seconds and allows people who don't want to OOCly look for a faction create new, IG - IC RP right there on the spot.  

It takes too much OOC time and hassle to join a social media website, which not everyone wants to do - or make a IC post on the forums. This would make it to where you'd need to find OOC timezones etc to make it work, when the solution would be a simple, harmless ad which could quickly connect people IC. 

TLDR: Let people use /ad for social requests, since according to a tester "Craigslist lets a lot of illegal stuff on their site, so it's not allowed here!"

Can’t really get behind this.

I see the ad system as something the radio/advertisement agency would air, and people looking for friends isn’t something that’d be aired, even for money, which leads me to my next point.

You’re not the only one in the city that wants friends, people will just use the advertisements for social matters and will definitely add to the pop up spam.

FaceBrowser is an IC website that you can access through your phone in-game, you’re able to communicate and create group chats with people who may not be logged in at the time, or if they’re on a different character. It’s the perfect platform to meet and organise friend groups based on your timezone.

There’s also the method of being consistently around your character’s local area, they’ll soon find someone that looks somewhat social enough to kick up a neighbour conversation.

14 hours ago, Law said:

I see the ad system as something the radio/advertisement agency would air, and people looking for friends isn’t something that’d be aired.

If that's your view, then do you have a problem with people posting ads selling personal items of value, cars, and personal properties? They allow that now according to the rules. Radio/advertisement agencies wouldn't be airing these types of personal ads. You wouldn't hear a radio channel or see an advertisement agency in the US saying, "Jenny is selling her Vapid Torrence for 70 grand, call her at 555-0303". Under these guidelines, it's much more like a classified ads medium right now to which I'd argue personal / social classified ads should be allowed. The problem is the medium has never officially been clarified and it's very much a mix of both at the moment. It's just been cherry picked as to which kinds of ads are allowed and which ones aren't, which leads to the confusion.

Edited by 99
  • Upvote 2
9 hours ago, 99 said:

If that's your view, then do you have a problem with people posting ads selling personal items of value, cars, and personal properties?…

No and yes, although personal, those ads aren’t for social reasons, they offer a product or service which is what paid local advertisements should be for, to make money back.

And whilst yes, it can be confusing and uncertain why some advertisements aren’t allowed, personally, I wouldn’t want to see social ads like “M|19|Vespucci, new to the city and looking for friends” popping up on my screen.

40 minutes ago, Law said:

No and yes, although personal, those ads aren’t for social reasons, they offer a product or service which is what paid local advertisements should be for, to make money back.

And whilst yes, it can be confusing and uncertain why some advertisements aren’t allowed, personally, I wouldn’t want to see social ads like “M|19|Vespucci, new to the city and looking for friends” popping up on my screen.

Why does that bother you so much though lol? It goes away in a few seconds. 

I swear one of the biggest annoying things about GTA:World and this is from someone who's been here since the start, is this community loves making it 1:1 with real life, and it's just not fun. It's really not. I'm not saying making social ads would be the peak fun of the server, but damn what if maybe someone doesn't want to feel obligated to make an account on another website, or join a faction?

2 hours ago, Ronnie two poles said:

Why does that bother you so much though lol? It goes away in a few seconds. 

I swear one of the biggest annoying things about GTA:World and this is from someone who's been here since the start, is this community loves making it 1:1 with real life, and it's just not fun. It's really not. I'm not saying making social ads would be the peak fun of the server, but damn what if maybe someone doesn't want to feel obligated to make an account on another website, or join a faction?

Apparently my opinion to your suggestion bothers you more. Guess we’ll only allow “+1”

4 hours ago, Law said:

I'm sure it could be very easy to code in something that would let those be posted in /ads, but not post on the real-time ad popup. Maybe using a separate command like /socialad or /classified or similar and thus triggering the system to post in /ads but not post on the pop ups at the bottom of your screen. In reality a lot of players don't use the forums a lot or the social media sites especially while they are in-game and playing. They can at times be toxic, inappropriate and borderline trollish. It's not everyone's cup of tea. I don't think it's particularly fair to push someone to use them in order to find and meet people in-game. I think people should be given the choice and freedom to do so as they wish. I don't see a harm in allowing them to show up on the /ads menu, maybe in its own category so you don't even have to see it if you don't want to. Just establish some rules around them like everything else.

Edited by 99
  • Upvote 1