Car Theft/Vandalism & You

khadijeh.

2 hours ago, honey. said:

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone - we're already making moves for some changes to better this scene.

I'll keep this open a little longer and will explain everything that IFM will be doing as a result of this thread and discussion in a conclusion post, every opinion and perspective regardless of how detailed or not. It really helps to get a wide span of views, I myself do not roleplay around the legal scene any more so thank you to the multiple PD/SD/Legal roleplayers that have given their piece too.

The current script around /vpark makes vehicles that are not despawned appear with an immaginary flag on top of them saying “50% chance that it has weapons inside” since you cannot /vpark a car with weapons inside. If we were to incline more towards realism and make limited or removal of /vpark, car thefts would be less profitable/succesful/ worth it since there would be much more cars worth little or nothing in sight, therefore it would demotivate the crime rate to an extent while the server would gain realism.

Edited by Daquan Kingston

People are coerced towards stealing the wrong type of cars by the chop shop script randomly selecting cars each day. Older cars from older generations sell for more due to them not being produced anymore, this in fact actually makes cutting them up essentially even worse of an option than leaving it alone. You lose value. The type of vehicles that should provide the most parts are large family cars, not too modern that they're caked in security but not too old they're vintage. The same goes for modern sports and super cars - better to sell it on illegally than slice it to pieces for chump change. The amount of parts per vehicle needs to be changed based on the vehicle itself, not the script price like it is currently.

There should be a daily limit of cars that can be chopped per garage and every single car should be able to be chopped, the only "random" thing being the amount that car will provide should you steal the same person's exact same car repeatedly every day after they have recovered it. Otherwise, you'll make car theft an epidemic again. There's got to be a line with incentivising it without making people steal every car in sight.

(IMO)

2 minutes ago, L I C E said:

The amount of parts per vehicle needs to be changed based on the vehicle itself, not the script price like it is currently.

Quite frankly, I'd rather the metallurgy stuff was gone and it was either cash payment for chopping, or purely components for the garage to profit off later on top of this change.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
1 minute ago, Phased said:

Quite frankly, I'd rather the metallurgy stuff was gone and it was either cash payment for chopping, or purely components for the garage to profit off later on top of this change.

Yeah the metallurgy stuff doesn't make too much sense but I assume we're sticking with it, soooooo..!

• Upvote 1

Can we have it to people being able to actually smash a window and not awkwardly ask someone for a $20,000 ya mum innit bruv tool to break into cars, when everywhere in the US has a Home Depot in a 4 mile radius that you can just buy a set at for cheap?

Imagine if some of you guys discovered a spark plug and how it smashes a window.

But anywayyyysssss, make it to that you can smash a window. If ppl bitch about cars possibly getting stolen, add a one hour smash timer or something. 

• Upvote 1

I've done a lot of car boosting RP and it's always with a partner.  One of the biggest issues I've come across is how the idea of what qualifies as sufficient enough RP varies from player to player.  Some players are a lot more detailed with their RP than others, but everyone (in my experience) feels like they're being detailed enough.  There have been player reports against players who claim to have properly RP'd boosting a car only for an admin to conclude that it wasn't sufficient.

It'd be nice to see some guidelines for car boosting RP so that everyone is on the same page for what qualifies as acceptable in terms of how detailed the RP should be (and even what methods should be used). 

--------------------

On another note, when I first started doing boosting RP, it was rare to be able to find the opportunity ICly. Chop shops were hard to learn about and the RP around all of it was unique.  Currently, it seems like everyone in illegal RP is boosting cars.  It's kind of lost it's appeal because it's so common to come across characters in this line of work.

Edited by Taina
  • Upvote 1

• How do you feel about the frequency of car theft?

Personally, I feel like car theft lost its appeal to the community. This used to be something that was actively used as a source of income for gangs around the city. I honestly don’t know what happened, I guess people just got tired or they’re limited when it comes to the amount of chop shops around the city.

• How do you feel about IFM offering alternative routes instead of relying on the script? 

Alternative routes: Smashing car windows instead of using a lockpick, /report so an admin can unlock the car for you. Letting people steal items from the car instead of the whole car like radios, tires, etc.

• How do you feel about the current quality of car theft?

The current quality can be improved. There needs to be set guidelines on what is considered good RP and what’s considered poor RP when it comes to car theft because it seems like some community members might not understand the quality of RP the admin teams look for pertaining to this.

• Have you ever seen information markers left at cars/buildings regarding metal having been stolen?

The only time I’ve seen this was in a recent forum report other than that no.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see the implementation of salvage yards that offer auto-recycling. When vehicles are /v scrapped the aforementioned yards could be given the vehicle but in a bare-bones capacity. No doors, locks, alarms and maybe even engines. Chop shops should look to purchase the stripped-down vehicles at a price designated by the yard, a little more than the scrap value and if they're to restore it they should be given a third or half of its market value upon completion after it's registered out-of-town or shipped out. Salvage yards should also be given the ability to purchase parts from chop shops, so it's a reciprocal relationship.