Signal Jammers [Car-Jacking Scene]

hipsxn

This would be cool to see. At the same time, we would also have to expect that we don't get a pop-up saying our vehicles were locked or unlocked anymore, but we would instead have to observe (hazard) lights flashing to indicate that. It might become a bit finnicky when it comes to vehicles that would realistically not have a remote and would still be opened with a key (i.e. old cars). This means that vehicles should be categorized by the script, whether you have to be right up next to them and use a key, or they're modern enough to have a remote and you can do it from afar (with the risk of having the signal jammed.)

20 hours ago, Triple Seven said:

I'm torn on this idea.

Before long it'll be in every thief's possession, so it should either be quite limited or one-use while still a significant financial hit for the criminal, or not work terribly reliably. I understand balance issues exist, but criminal character roleplayers also need to understand it's not easy to jack high-end vehicles and police often have the upper hand against crime, that's natural, otherwise it would be anarchy (which it already is in LS).

Or the jammer should be detectable somehow, which can make for interesting counter play from law enforcement.

8 hours ago, mj2002 said:

Or the jammer should be detectable somehow, which can make for interesting counter play from law enforcement.

That's another alternative for sure, and I know police have devices that detect their regular radar being scanned, but not sure on these jamming devices' signal frequencies, so could be a realism concern if they don't.

A few things.

1) 15 minutes seems far too long - that’s basically long enough to steal, chop and be done with a scene with 0 chance of being caught. In its current format, this is a bad game mechanic.

2) These Jammers once used should perish (be used), otherwise despite any promises suppliers make, this item will become like drugs and weapons and be extremely commonplace across the server. 

3) It should cost a lot - as much as 50% the reward for chopping a car, because you’re removing much of the risk, you should also remove a significant portion of the reward.

4) There should be a hidden failure chance.  It shouldn’t automatically work & the person using it should not be notified that it has failed. Maybe depending on the quality of the jammer, this fail risk would be between 50-25%

5) This feels over simplified and in general too easy - A modern car’s key works by proximity to the engine (or more correctly the computer), and only when nearby can the engine start.

If you are jamming signals to prevent an alarm system from notifying authorities etc, you’re also jamming the signal from the key to the engine, I.e, such a device would stop the car thief from moving the very car they’re attempting to steal?

To simulate this & that certain frequencies would need to be allowed, maybe tie ‘jammers’ to a particular vehicle type - meaning the car thief has to do some homework rather than have a ‘Swiss army knife’ to steal whatever car they want.

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy

+1

Good game balance. For everybody claiming it's too overpowered, the same exact thing goes for the anti-theft system as a whole. And if you're going to argue for total realism when it comes to these car models, then let me have a character that can whip out his phone that can exploit a car's CAN Bus system and undo its electronic lock with the press of a few buttons.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic