dungeon masters

dbdizk2

There is one thing though. GTA is openPVP. Other games mentioned are not.

But I fully agree on events. Especially for suppliers. How do they supply the server? Meth needs to be cooked. Guns shipped from Russia or wherever.

Weed needs to be grown. Electronics made or stolen from somewhere. Do suppliers have these mini events? Like waiting on Cocaine shipment from Colombia or cooking meth before they are given their weekly batch?

Edited by Engelbert
1 hour ago, Engelbert said:

But I fully agree on events. Especially for suppliers. How do they supply the server? Meth needs to be cooked. Guns shipped from Russia or wherever.

Weed needs to be grown. Electronics made or stolen from somewhere. Do suppliers have these mini events? Like waiting on Cocaine shipment from Colombia or cooking meth before they are given their weekly batch?

Yes.

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not happening.

• Upvote 1
On 9/16/2021 at 6:09 PM, dbdizk2 said:

a thread about dungeon masters on gtaw, why they dont exist and why they should/shouldnt exist.

every rp community ive been in before has had dungeon masters and they certainly breath a lot of life in to the community and it's events, allowing for a wider variety of activities/events to be roleplayed to the max. gtaw could definitely use DMs imo, maybe via a request-a-dm service, which could be ran by either admins, or a specific set of players specifically recruited for being said dungeon masters. this way players could host events and do activities that cannot be done due to certain limitations which are faced when there is no admin/dungeon master assistance.

This already exists, if you want to do something extraordinary, you may get admin permission to host events and activities of that sort, provided you have the necessary means, money and that it makes sense. Admins will just not run it for you, you're responsible for your own roleplay. In a server with a population that peaks at over 800 concurrent people, I don't know what you could think of that needs admin assistance and direction that couldn't be run by players, unless it wasn't meant to be run by normal civilians anyway.

You can be your own DM if you organize RP, simple as. In fact, most factions are built by players with Dungeon Master mentalities and they create RP opportunities for others.

Edited by Koko
2 hours ago, Koko said:

I don't know what you could think of that needs admin assistance and direction that couldn't be run by players

i.e if ULSA wanted to host a class with a tour of an army facility, or a showcase of the things they'd realistically portray. there is no functional military faction on the server, but a lot of players are interested by such things, and would surely like if they could integrate a simple event in to their rp, such as the one in example.

another example that pops in to my mind is a wine tour. the vineyard isnt (afaik, or wasnt at least) owned by any player/business, and thus very little or no rp will take place within the premises. this is something that i personally asked about before, /reporting and asking if there was an admin that would be interested to rp a tour guide walking us through the yards ICly. i got hit back with the answer being "we dont do that", which initially brought me the idea of making this thread.

obviously the possible ideas/events are nearly endless, and can be just about anything that the current script/player abilities don't allow, or simply stuff that's not player controlled at the moment, which is why in my opinion it'd be a great idea to gather a group of dungeon masters that could be requested for such manners. said DMs could pick what events/situations they themselves want to rp, and have the knowledge to. i dont honestly see any way that this would hurt the server, as it's something that only brings more roleplayable content to it. obviously every event that can be hosted by players would still be hosted by them.

a lot of people on this thread have brought in extreme ideas, such as natural catastrophes and other ones alike. surely these use DMs, but admins are already filling the job as said before on the thread. as a player hailing from a wow rp community myself, my idea is more so for the lesser ideas, and ones that are simply limited by the script, rules or the player owned businesses themselves. like i mentioned above, i dont really see any way this would harm the server, and my ideas are just examples. the actual opportunities are nearly endless.

Edited by dbdizk2

I believe one of the main problems of ANY roleplayer I've met in my long time RP journey is they completely LACK of initiative.

Everytime I lead a faction or a small group (like right now) I see people that simply WAIT for me to be online to perform the roleplay. Without my presence they couldn't involve themselves into any fun or interesting roleplay. But, I have no script advantages or anything else they cannot afford... I just have more initiative and I can create roleplay around me. People here always ask for admins and staff to create events and to improve the "fun", but imho the fun is given by the amount of POSSIBILITIES you have to get yourself involved into any kind of roleplay. And, trust me, in this server you can LITERALLY do anything to create roleplay and have fun. Open your minds.

Edited by GambloTwitch

The only type of GM'ing/DM'ing that occurs in game to my knowledge, that isn't entirely player driven, is whenever a player or a group of players break into a home and an admin describes what is found, and unless an admin is really into it, the RP itself is more often than not, rather lackluster.

Just do your own thing, really. If you want GM/DM a few NPC's then go for it, nobody's really stopping you.

The DMs/GMs in the GTA RP scene have always been just the people who create role play and events (they're often faction leaders or high ranks but not always). When you join any group/faction setting, you'll always see between one to a few guys who somehow create role play and story opportunities for the rest of the players in the group. Some are good at it, some aren't. Meanwhile the rest of the players can't create stories (lack of time or creativity) so they depend on certain people to be online to have fun; at most they just react to what is presented to them in the current narrative. The people creating role play often make events, narrate the environment, present characters with dilemmas, decide actions the script can't carry out, create the group lore, do NPC stuff, come up with stuff out of thin air, etc.

That chunk of events suggested above are already possible to do (maybe with a little admin help). Just needs someone to take initiative and a little imagining of the hundreds of staff that would be walking around those areas.

This is actually already a thing with FM I believe, like they are allowed to play one off characters (e.g. cartel representatives) for the purpose of story/continuity. 

If they actually do it or not is another story.

This was my interpretation from reading the rules on what types of rp/factions are allowed anyway. 

Totally see what you're saying though and I agree, I'd love to do it myself, was some good money to be made amd fun to be has running storylines for ArmA 3 Zeus matches back in the day.

Edited by EMC
  • Wuhtah locked this topic