The GTA World wiki needs your help

mj2002

Hey there!

As only a few of you might know, GTA World has a wiki. It is located here;

https://wiki.gta.world/

Right now, there isn't that much to see on the wiki, and what is there is somewhat outdated. I'm asking for your help to assist in expanding the useful information on this wiki. It doesn't require a lot of work, and you can do as much or as little as you prefer. If you lost interest at this stage, that's alright. Editing a wiki is not for everyone. Perhaps you can check back on the wiki a little later on, and hopefully you'll find some useful information. However, if you're someone who sometimes has some extra time, or perhaps plays at times when there isn't much to do, helping out might be something for you.

What is the wiki for?

It is very important to keep in mind what a wiki, and specifically this wiki, is for, and what it is not for. Wikis operate best as information reference, a knowledge base, or a compendium. This means that it is suitable for information and data that is objective, and fairly static. It isn't suitable for opinions or information that changes frequently. Beyond this, any recording of  IC information that is not to be NPC'd, is a risk for metagaming. Therefor, it is recommended to only add information that is entirely OOC, or information that is widely known and has been reported on (for instance, who the mayor is). Beyond that, keep in mind that the information must be somewhat relevant to the community at large. When adding information, try to predict if it will be relevant for anyone in a few months time.

• SUITABLE: List of commands for new players to reference
  • SUITABLE: A showcase, guide or explanation on how to use a feature
  • SUITABLE: Location of the DMV

• NOT SUITABLE: Background of a new faction
  • NOT SUITABLE: Description of a new business
  • NOT SUITABLE: An overview of which faction controls which area

Some additional details on this. A lot of information that is suitable or nearly suitable for the wiki is currently contained on the forums. In my personal view, some information is better suited to be on the wiki, and some information is better placed on the forums. This follows the same basic guidelines as listed above, with an additional note that collaborative editing on the wiki provides advantages over posts on the forums. This is relevant mostly for guides. Therefor, make a distinction between guides written by a user that lists their opinion and perspective (for example, roleplaying guides) and guides that are for reference and data. The latter is better suited for a wiki, the former is best for the forums.

How do I edit the wiki?

First, sign up here;

https://forum.gta.world/en/forum/886-wiki-editor-rights-request/

The actual editing is far easier than you may imagine. Don't be scared off by some basics in source formatting. 90% of the source formatting work is done with these simple and intuitive commands, and beyond that you can use the normal formatting tools you're used to when writing in forums or other text processors.

iwRTi2d.png

OAjqJns.png

layW9iC.png

0M6cHcX.png

When in doubt, just look at other pages on how things are done. Otherwise, ask around or search on the MediaWiki sites.

What needs doing?

If you made it this far, you might actually be interested in helping out. This is great, so now what to start on? You may have something in mind already, which is the best way to start. However, keep the guidelines above in mind on what actually belongs on the wiki, and what does not. Next, simply check if what you're wishing to work on already exists, or if you can start from scratch, then go for it.

If you want to help out with existing work, then here are a few articles that need to be updated, expanded upon or refreshed.

Can I make a page for my character?

Generally, this is not a good idea. It invites metagaming and is mostly irrelevant for other readers. If you do really wish to immortalize your character beyond a thread on the Community Showcase (Screenshot Gallery and Character Stories) forums, then be advised that this is best done when the character is already deceased. This is to discourage any form of metagaming.

I have questions!

Ask them here!

Edited by mj2002
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
  • mj2002 changed the title to The GTA World wiki needs your help
1 hour ago, Scrat Knapp said:

The wiki requests information post indicates that if your post has been locked, it means your editing rights have been added. However, no posts have been locked since November of last year. Are these requests still even being processed?

I believe @Nervous can answer this.

Does it really though?   Everything you mention being on the wiki is on the forum.  Why do we need a drive to get people to copy information from one format to another when the majority of people browse the forums more often than they play the game, and are more likely to look here first?

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Phased said:

Does it really though?   Everything you mention being on the wiki is on the forum.  Why do we need a drive to get people to copy information from one format to another when the majority of people browse the forums more often than they play the game, and are more likely to look here first?

Thanks for your interest in this project. As I mentioned in the post, there is a lot of information available on the forums. However, a wiki has a distinct advantage over the forum format, which is collaboration. Anything posted on the forums is subject to access and editing restrictions set by the forum software. If you, personally, have a sudden burst of inspiration and want to assist in providing information to players of this community, your options on the forums are more limited than they are on a wiki.

This is why every single gaming project of reasonable size has a wiki for its community, where players can reference information and look up things easily, and editors from the community can keep these pages up to date. This is efficient because it allows, you, me, someone else, and others, to edit a page without being required to ask someone else to make a change for them. You see an error in one of the guides or feature showcases on these forums? You see a new update that makes a change to a specific system? You, very likely, cannot easily make a change at this time. In a wiki, you can make this information available to the community immediately, or whenever it suits you.

Edited by mj2002
  • Wuhtah locked this topic