how and why are there so many rich people

np

1 minute ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

While there is some truth to what you say, that those people don’t open 20 hours / week is their choice - nothing stops them.

someone RPing a cop for 20 hours a week is earning ~half what a 24/7 person earns an hour.

Ontop of that, the 24/7 employee is also earning 800/hour for an unlimited number of hours per week where as the most a gov employee can earn is 20*their hourly salary.

Well, obviously comparing the possibilities for RP standing 21 hours a week behind an LTD counter versus the assured certainty that 20h played (regardless of being in active duty) will give you a constant influx of money through existing are apples to oranges, and that people in salaried positions routinely AFK grind their 20 hours overnight anyway, and work as they feel like, while having ample free range to RP whatever they want as ABAS is relatively low for factions (you can do a long shift a week and do what you want the rest of the month and be more than safe).

The people who will grind an LTD job will not be stopped by capping low wage script jobs because if you have that sort of grind mentality you'll find somewhere else to put it into, that's not your average script job worker and they represent an extreme of the scale.

I also agree that $800 is absolutely ridiculous and it should be reduced or removed completely once you reach a number of hours played/assets gained. Right now my character has 2.5 million in assets and $500 paychecks (never got the $800) and I still make $250 an hour for staring at the sky.

7 minutes ago, Koko said:

Actually this server is even closer to real life in that most rich characters inherited that wealth from a past character.

True, but there are plenty of self made ones. At least I am one, when I started my character Shaw I had about 60k on her? Fast forward nearly 2 years and Shaw can be considered rich. There's plenty of avenue's to earn money, people always look at the negatives of this economy and not that the richest chars are certainly rich, but their not Aline/4Billion Dollars type of rich.

1 minute ago, Mecovy said:

True, but there are plenty of self made ones. At least I am one, when I started my character Shaw I had about 60k on her? Fast forward nearly 2 years and Shaw can be considered rich. There's plenty of avenue's to earn money, people always look at the negatives of this economy and not that the richest chars are certainly rich, but their not Aline/4Billion Dollars type of rich.

The problem is that being rich or not doesn't matter. Being rich isn't the money you earn, it's the money you don't spend. Being rich in GTAW simply means "do I have the economic stability to make a purchase I want without having to consider this loss". Unless you're in the market for $1.5Mil mansions, a HUGE sector of the population is in this bracket, considering how they routinely blow $3.000 a night easy just in entrance fees to Clubs for the hope of finding around an hour's worth of RP.

How and why are so many people rich? Simply put? They value script mechanics over R.P.

When people decide to put R.P. over script mechanics? Then, you won't see a large ratio of wealthy people. 

The "economy" or "script-paycheques" aren't the issue. It's the quality of the player.

OOC money is not IC money.

Edited by DLimit
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, DLimit said:

How and why are so many people rich? Simply put? They value script mechanics over R.P.

When people decide to put R.P. over script mechanics? Then, you won't see a large ratio of wealthy people. 

The "economy" or "script-paycheques" aren't the issue. It's the quality of the player.

OOC money is not IC money.

Agree to an extent. I think the problem has multiple dimensions but player portrayal definitely is a driving factor.

My recommendation for people is to decide if their character is lower, middle or upper class when planning them and forget about your OOC money.

Imagine if we just scrapped the scripted money.  You RP a garbageman? You RP buying a car fitting of that status.  You RP a famous rapper? Ok sure have your top $$$ sportscar.  Would never happen of course, but as a thought experiment it's interesting to ponder why scripted money is even needed if we're meant to be heavy RP 😉

6 minutes ago, Paenymion said:

Imagine if we just scrapped the scripted money.  You RP a garbageman? You RP buying a car fitting of that status.  You RP a famous rapper? Ok sure have your top $$$ sportscar.  Would never happen of course, but as a thought experiment it's interesting to ponder why scripted money is even needed if we're meant to be heavy RP 😉

And how would you rp buying a cat fitting your status if you have no money? A garbage man is paid with script money as all other jobs are. Only jobs that are not script money based are hookers, strippers, bartenders and security guard. That's it. I roleplay a tattoo artist. I ask 4.000+ for 60 minutes of roleplay.

And that's not even script money. That's additional 4.000 for roleplay session.

Edited by Engelbert
3 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

And how would you rp buying a cat fitting your status if you have no money? A garbage man is paid with script money as all other jobs are. Only jobs that are no script money are hookers, strippers, bartenders and security guard. That's it.

You would have the money, but it would be imaginary money.  What I mean is basically just scrapping that number in the top right completely.  Basically everything would be "free" scriptly but you only buy it if you could justify having it based on your character's background/work/story.  As I said, would never happen.  It would cause too many people to go "wtf" and leave.  Just a vision of something completely different where RP is placed above all else 🙂

Edited by Paenymion
1 minute ago, Paenymion said:

You would have the money, but it would be imaginary money.  What I mean is basically just scrapping that number in the top right completely.  Basically everything would be "free" scriptly but you only buy it if you could justify having it based on your character's background/work/story.  As I said, would never happen.  It would cause too many people to go "wtf" and leave.  Just a vision of something completely different where RP is placed above all else 🙂

While good on paper, you need to keep track of your wealth. If people had none, they wouldn't work.

• Wuhtah locked this topic