Jump to content

how and why are there so many rich people


np

Recommended Posts

On 11/1/2021 at 5:37 PM, Engelbert said:

No you don't really have to make IC effort as long as you can portray how are you making the money required for your lifestyle. It's roleplay we are talking about not game progression. Roleplaying a concept doesn't necessarily mean you have to start from a zero and make it up to a hero. I for instance rp'd a different concept before renaming the character and portraying actual concept I wanted. Yes my advantage is, that I have a lucrative job on top of it. But I begun already with few hundred thousands. My point being, you don't really have to roleplay earning those money as long as you can justify your wealth and portray it properly. Why I think this way? Cause many concepts are simply impossible to portray IG, given GTA setting is quite limited script-wise and nobody will simply send you money as twitch subs or donations. No if you wanna roleplay something different from usual club, shop owners or investors, you gotta think outside the box. But we are talking about proper portrayal. If it's poor portrayal, then simply report that, same as with any other poor portrayal.

 You kind of both do have to do that and don't. It's fine to role-play a rich person if you do it properly, and I've actually seen someone portraying the rich wife of some mobster - and they were doing it really well - but you will have to have some sort of backstory as to how you can afford such lifestyle, which more often than not requires you to actually have that background built up, not only as a simple story, otherwise I personally don't find it alright.

 

If you want to role-play a rich tech mogul, for example, it would be wrong to just act as if you have an enormous platform in France, which is why you have millions of dollars, mansions, sports cars and private jets. Sure, there are exceptions, but these are very few. More often than not, if you want to role-play a rich business owner or politician, you also need to build an actually successful business or career in politics, or else it'll just feel and look cheap.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

 You kind of both do have to do that and don't. It's fine to role-play a rich person if you do it properly, and I've actually seen someone portraying the rich wife of some mobster - and they were doing it really well - but you will have to have some sort of backstory as to how you can afford such lifestyle, which more often than not requires you to actually have that background built up, not only as a simple story, otherwise I personally don't find it alright.

 

If you want to role-play a rich tech mogul, for example, it would be wrong to just act as if you have an enormous platform in France, which is why you have millions of dollars, mansions, sports cars and private jets. Sure, there are exceptions, but these are very few. More often than not, if you want to role-play a rich business owner or politician, you also need to build an actually successful business or career in politics, or else it'll just feel and look cheap.

What you said exactly, I am not good at wording my thoughts it seems. Basically what I see when I look around is just people flashing this or that wealth around. But we have to keep in mind, that the economy is different. Handing few hundreds to a homeless man is the same is if you gave them 5 dollars in real life. Also regarding portraying the wealth, I agree. If there is an option to portray your income IG you should do that, but if your concept is something, that has no support in the game, you have to somehow emulate the income. But in order to do that, you need a solid background plus of course ways to support that income. Which is tricky because easiest way are scripted jobs, but those require roleplay. So my personal conclusion is, that in order to portray a wealthy character with a job which is not supported IG, you roleplay some other concept in order to generate desired amount of funds necessary for your wealthy character portrayal. Because you can simply work in 24/7 while having a house in the hills and driving 5 cars.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
  • 3 months later...

every work rp should be done for fun, or to engage with other players, make commections, not for the money. Expensive vehicles or houses should be only available to characters who own or manage businesses or have an actual justification for such wealth.

Link to comment
On 2/6/2022 at 7:09 AM, Lurleen said:

every work rp should be done for fun, or to engage with other players, make commections, not for the money. Expensive vehicles or houses should be only available to characters who own or manage businesses or have an actual justification for such wealth.

 

You already need good justification to nearly own anything in the server, now I need a story as to why i should be allowed to have the money ive earned. What are you smoking.

Link to comment

I think you'll find "rich" in this context is merely middle class across the server. There's very few truly rich people, most of us just hover around 2-3m. But only those who have a job which would justify said money get to really use it. You could be a P1 with 3m in the bank but you wouldn't realistically rp that as what kinda police officer at a rookie level would be a millionaire? if that makes any sense. 

  • Applaud 1
Link to comment

This is an issue of portrayal, not necessarily characters being wealthy in of itself. There's a distinct difference between a properly portrayed rich or wealthy character and one that has just grinded bartending, daily paychecks, and what-not in order to buy 8 nice cars from the dealership. Unfortunately, the poorly portrayed ones are always the loudest- they are the ones you will see doing doughnuts in Cheetahs, acting like children while driving around $550,000 Rolls Royce Cullinan equivalents (Adding the Jubilee to dealerships was a mistake), and living in massive penthouses while being twenty-five years old. RPQM can cull these cases, but a RPQM report can take anywhere from a month to six months and takes a lot of effort from quality management admins in order to monitor trouble characters. Adding taxes, punishing business owners by decreasing their profits, or anything else is more or less punishing the whole of everyone for the sins of the few. It would choke out a lot of people who legitimately do try to play their characters accurately.

For instance: One of my characters has been one of those "wealthy" characters for a while now (Though I really don't like using the term, it's been tainted). She owns a holding company LLC that in turn has shares in multiple businesses and a subsidiary company below it to realistically avoid taxation (even though this is not a thing on World, it is done for portrayal because I'm playing a character who's a piece of shit and does stuff like that), this corporation is the entity that controls both of her businesses on paper, even though she technically controls those venues directly. This is a common method the rich use to avoid taxation through loopholes, and that doesn't even delve into C-Corporations and trust-funds.

The Pariah-driving, green-haired, miniskirt-wearing twenty-somethings people are talking about in here have no idea what the hell any of that is, they just want to drive a cool car and feel cool for driving said cool car without actually putting the work into earning it. Everything needs to be earned through roleplay but the systems in place on the server allow individuals like those to circumvent roleplay and rely on that number in the top-right of their screen to direct their characters.

Unfortunately, developed characters that run businesses also need that number in the top-right, and many of us that actually give a shit will pay our employees a lot and actually do have expenses- Components, mapping, leases, you name it. As of current, my character has $71,000 worth of monthly payments on leases alone for business vehicles and venues, and pays out $160,000 monthly to employees (4 employees @ $10,000/2 hr shift, with the venue opening 4 times a month.) This does not delve into component costs or a personal vehicle that's a special lease request.

Imposing additional fees on everyone will impact those who actually roleplay around business and wealth the most, not those you're upset with.

Edited by ChromaticDeath
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment

Money isn’t valued enough so people can actually buy a house after 20 hours of gameplay and if they know poker or just have nothing to do irl they can grind scripted jobs like the trash job taxi etc, or rp as escorts then change their name

Lack of taxes, items that barely costs a dollar when you get at least $500 every hour etc etc…

Link to comment
52 minutes ago, ChromaticDeath said:

This is an issue of portrayal, not necessarily characters being wealthy in of itself. There's a distinct difference between a properly portrayed rich or wealthy character and one that has just grinded bartending, daily paychecks, and what-not in order to buy 8 nice cars from the dealership. Unfortunately, the poorly portrayed ones are always the loudest- they are the ones you will see doing doughnuts in Cheetahs, acting like children while driving around $550,000 Rolls Royce Cullinan equivalents (Adding the Jubilee to dealerships was a mistake), and living in massive penthouses while being twenty-five years old. RPQM can cull these cases, but a RPQM report can take anywhere from a month to six months and takes a lot of effort from quality management admins in order to monitor trouble characters. Adding taxes, punishing business owners by decreasing their profits, or anything else is more or less punishing the whole of everyone for the sins of the few. It would choke out a lot of people who legitimately do try to play their characters accurately.

For instance: One of my characters has been one of those "wealthy" characters for a while now (Though I really don't like using the term, it's been tainted). She owns a holding company LLC that in turn has shares in multiple businesses and a subsidiary company below it to realistically avoid taxation (even though this is not a thing on World, it is done for portrayal because I'm playing a character who's a piece of shit and does stuff like that), this corporation is the entity that controls both of her businesses on paper, even though she technically controls those venues directly. This is a common method the rich use to avoid taxation through loopholes, and that doesn't even delve into C-Corporations and trust-funds.

The Pariah-driving, green-haired, miniskirt-wearing twenty-somethings people are talking about in here have no idea what the hell any of that is, they just want to drive a cool car and feel cool for driving said cool car without actually putting the work into earning it. Everything needs to be earned through roleplay but the systems in place on the server allow individuals like those to circumvent roleplay and rely on that number in the top-right of their screen to direct their characters.

Unfortunately, developed characters that run businesses also need that number in the top-right, and many of us that actually give a shit will pay our employees a lot and actually do have expenses- Components, mapping, leases, you name it. As of current, my character has $71,000 worth of monthly payments on leases alone for business vehicles and venues, and pays out $160,000 monthly to employees (4 employees @ $10,000/2 hr shift, with the venue opening 4 times a month.) This does not delve into component costs or a personal vehicle that's a special lease request.

Imposing additional fees on everyone will impact those who actually roleplay around business and wealth the most, not those you're upset with.

As much as I agree with you on most of the things, we still need to remember this is a game, not everyone has most of their day free to be in-game to either RP to earn the money or grind for it. Roleplaying is fiction we make to try something in-game. Poor portrayal like the people you have mentioned are a problem and should be handled by the admin team but as someone said RPQM reports in most cases take at minimum a month if not longer to deal with.

 

Enforcing the taxation, heavy at that on everyone will hurt the business owners that really pay their employees a salary beyond the /startshift ($4,000).

Link to comment

A lot of people are fixated on money, obtaining money, and how much money others have obtained, but who does it impress? 

 

Because money is so easy to gained, In my experience your reputation and professional title (such as your job) carry a lot more weight. These are things that are harder and sometimes impossible to buy.

 

So sure, Pariah might impress a person's friends, but a respected/renown person in a cheap car will turn more heads. 

 

My 2 cent.

Edited by Natala
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

As much as I agree with you on most of the things, we still need to remember this is a game, not everyone has most of their day free to be in-game to either RP to earn the money or grind for it. Roleplaying is fiction we make to try something in-game. Poor portrayal like the people you have mentioned are a problem and should be handled by the admin team but as someone said RPQM reports in most cases take at minimum a month if not longer to deal with.

 

Enforcing the taxation, heavy at that on everyone will hurt the business owners that really pay their employees a salary beyond the /startshift ($4,000).


I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or saying I were the one who was saying to tax people and such but I'm agreeing with you because we have the same take. If it's the latter probably re-read my post, not saying for anyone to need to grind anything out, but moreso, that things need to be roleplayed out. It's a hobby, sure, but it's still a roleplay server. We can't have instant gratification everywhere in all walks of it or you get people like those that are being talked about in this thread.

Link to comment
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
  • Create New...