how and why are there so many rich people

np

I was invited by someone and he told me I'd get 200k starting paycheck and I was baffled as to how the hell an economy would work with such an instant influx of money and it doesn't, before even getting in the server I had already told him "wow this must cause huge economical issues within the server" which proved to be right.

As for the govt paycheck, if you think about it, if you're a gov worker you should only be doing that and nothing else thus receiving a weekly payday.
When I wasn't a gov worker I could easily make around 70-100k a day, one day I even made 70k in 45 minutes, money is crazy easy to get when you're not a govt employee too, now I get 60k weekly but I clock in every day, nearly all day and I keep getting called on duty and I can't just say "no" as easily because I'm not a replaceable pawn like a bartender.

Edited by Eestino
19 minutes ago, Eestino said:

I was invited by someone and he told me I'd get 200k starting paycheck and I was baffled as to how the hell an economy would work with such an instant influx of money and it doesn't, before even getting in the server I had already told him "wow this must cause huge economical issues within the server" which proved to be right.

As for the govt paycheck, if you think about it, if you're a gov worker you should only be doing that and nothing else thus receiving a weekly payday.
When I wasn't a gov worker I could easily make around 70-100k a day, one day I even made 70k in 45 minutes, money is crazy easy to get when you're not a govt employee too, now I get 60k weekly but I clock in every day, nearly all day and I keep getting called on duty and I can't just say "no" as easily because I'm not a replaceable pawn like a bartender.

Which is fine and all but it still has to make sense with your character. Like my main character has over 6k hours so obviously I have more money than I roleplay having. Just because you CAN go out and buy a dozen Paragons doesn't mean you should. Bank money is essentially OOC in most cases anyway. You couldn't seriously roleplay making 50k per week as a cop. Your salary would be $2,600,000 / year.

12 minutes ago, Sush said:

Which is fine and all but it still has to make sense with your character. Like my main character has over 6k hours so obviously I have more money than I roleplay having. Just because you CAN go out and buy a dozen Paragons doesn't mean you should. Bank money is essentially OOC in most cases anyway. You couldn't seriously roleplay making 50k per week as a cop. Your salary would be $2,600,000 / year.

Yes, one of the first things people told me to do was to use charity or to keep the money until it made sense to have as much as I had, charity would work but honestly after making nearly 70k/day I just preferred to stack the money and only used as much as I had, for the longest time I would use 200,000 as a "0" so anything below 200,000 would send me "in debt"

I agree the server sorely needs expenses.. Making money is so easy that if you complain about not having money you're probably doing something wrong..

55 minutes ago, Allerion said:

Mostly because each player gets 200k from starting paycheck. And it's really easy to make money if you know what you're doing and have some sort of capital (like 200k) to start with.

So if you don't actually play a role but play the server as a game to accrue assets, its too easy.

So lets punish the more genuine roleplayers who use that 200k to buy a car, rent & spend money at businesses?

Backwards thinking. The 200k is fine. The people who aren't here to portray roles (roleplay) but are here to RPG are the issue.

Also, choice of words; know what your doing. So not being a newbie. So lets make it harder for newbies to get started because vets abuse the system?

I object to that line of reasoning as being good for a roleplay server.

39 minutes ago, Eestino said:

How exactly is it the starting 200k that's an issue? People make this assumption but don't really demonstrate it. Can you, point by point, link the causal chain from the 200k to either poor roleplay or property scarcity, or another genuine economic issue?

This isn't an RPG or an MMO. You're not meant to "grind" and "earn" things. You're meant to portray a role. I'd love to hear how making starter players have a hard time getting cars/apartments is going to improve roleplay.

Look; different characters, if roleplayed correctly, will have different money-making opportunities. If you want to portray a ghetto resident that either sells small quantities of drugs or works at a 7/11, your earning capacity is very different than someone roleplaying a stripper, or a cop, or a longshoreman, or a business mogul. The idea that this is some even playing field is an RPG mentality; My ghetto character should not be earning the same as my college educated character if roleplayed correctly. They only can if I ignore my role and just do whatever the script lets me.

The only issue with the 200k is if you take an OOC RPG mentality where on every character you misuse every script job and investment opportunity with minimal roleplay and essentially grind the meta-game of GTA:W. Making players who genuinely want to RP suffer/have a hard time, because other people RPG-Grind, is bad for a roleplay server.

Finally, the unspoken resource is any players ability to commit time to grinding/afking/etc. People with disproportionate free time are always going to come out ahead. Don't punish people with real lives as an attempt to slow down people who can spend 12 hours a day in a game. It won't work.

• Upvote 2
46 minutes ago, Sush said:

If veterans piling up money would stop treating the irl dollar as if it was the gold standard that'd fix half the issue as it would adjust the money's value (by inflation).

People just have no fucking clue of actual economy , pardon my french, and think slapping a "realism" stamp on a totally arbitrary value and backing this claim by some constructed reference and comparing paychecks to irl paychecks but adding zero's as a 3 year old tutorial said that is here that way-

just no.

This mentality causes only more unrealism and bullshit:

1 hour ago, Eestino said:

one day I even made 70k in 45 minutes, money is crazy easy to get when you're not a govt employee too,

The problem is that we have no actual currency ig- see comment above, people treat it as ooc resource to justify it piling up when their character shouldn't pile money- so this phenomenon can be seen all over as people then, lacking the economic incentive to spend money, dish out random tips to whatever they deem worthy to receive support- completely ignoring whether it fits the other party to get paid so much they have to quit their shitty job.

This isn't just limited to this, scripted paychecks (not only factions, but public or privately owned businesses with /startshift) influence this further (as anyone who offers bartenders less than 4k base can experience).

Unironically, these very people then justify this metagamish behaviour claiming they do community service by spread up gobbled money and yes, @mj2002and @Mecovylooking at you two here namely, actually suggest stuff they'll benefit from in their rp mostly when this lobbying should take place ic (I am still royally pissed my lobbying for higher club funds got taken ooc, on that behalf. This was a plot so Carry would make more money, not something that will actually "help the greater good" as I said first ic and then was seriously proclaimed on the suggestion leading to doubled opening support).

My char just wanted more of the cake because people's mentality ensures bartenders end up eventually tipped more than the club manager can net by average even in a booming club.

This was not supposed to be taken ooc.

And most of all it wasn't seriously supposed to actually happen as it's not like filling a club with people regularly wasn't making any money ic.

1 hour ago, Eestino said:

I was invited by someone and he told me I'd get 200k starting paycheck and I was baffled as to how the hell an economy would work with such an instant influx of money and it doesn't,

IF we had 1000 active characters who each had their 200k that'd be a total 200m which is safe to assume was debunked in ds cars and furniture over the past half year alone.

The issue is people repeatedly creating new characters simulating the 200k as money making scheme "for the sake of rp", and some doing so way too frequently (I got no exact numbers but in theory without donating I can this way create 800k in my first month playing and 200k monthly then WITHOUT to ever delve into character developement or coming up with a job, an actual money making scheme or whatever).

Edited by knppel
4 minutes ago, knppel said:

If veterans piling up money would stop treating the irl dollar as if it was the gold standard that'd fix half the issue as it would adjust the money's value (by inflation).

People just have no fucking clue of actual economy , pardon my french, and think slapping a "realism" stamp on a totally arbitrary value and backing this claim by some constructed reference and comparing paychecks to irl paychecks but adding zero's as a 3 year old tutorial said that is here that way-

just no.

This mentality causes only more unrealism and bullshit:

That was my point yeah. The coffee my character got at the beginning of their shift was $75 and coming from FiveRP where money was equally as hard to get as it is IRL (maybe even harder because fun was illegal by the end of that server) I can tell you that all it did was kill people's will to play because they had to actually grind for hours on end just to be able to afford to go to businesses/get gas/etc. The amount of OOC bank money you have on you is irrelevant assuming you're actually roleplaying a character as you won't use more of it than would be realistic anyway

Edited by Sush
  • Upvote 1
Just now, Sush said:

That was my point yeah. The coffee my character got at the beginning of their shift was $75 and coming from FiveRP where money was equally as hard to get as it is IRL (maybe even harder because fun was illegal by the end of that server) I can tell you that all it did was kill people's will to play because they had to actually grind for hours on end just to be able to afford to go to businesses/get gas/etc.

Amen to that, and this is why I am so strongly against cutting starter funds (repeated new characters of established community members that make new chars to get 200k again is a different matter).

I had exactly the same experience- I was able to focus on roleplaying first here, indeed also grabbing the cited first coffee after buying cigarettes, and after this having already enough money for a phone and some other basics I needed for my character.

My elephant brain still remembers that when I started to play on a server the last time- 2014, lsrp- it was totally different as I was right away forced to get a gig that night ic to make some money- only to have people then tell me I'd have to first put it in savings to get rich fast so I then could complain I have too much money and become part of the problem.

Thanks but no thanks

1 hour ago, SunPuddle said:

So if you don't actually play a role but play the server as a game to accrue assets, its too easy.

So lets punish the more genuine roleplayers who use that 200k to buy a car, rent & spend money at businesses?

Backwards thinking. The 200k is fine. The people who aren't here to portray roles (roleplay) but are here to RPG are the issue.

Also, choice of words; know what your doing. So not being a newbie. So lets make it harder for newbies to get started because vets abuse the system?

I object to that line of reasoning as being good for a roleplay server.

How exactly is it the starting 200k that's an issue? People make this assumption but don't really demonstrate it. Can you, point by point, link the causal chain from the 200k to either poor roleplay or property scarcity, or another genuine economic issue?

This isn't an RPG or an MMO. You're not meant to "grind" and "earn" things. You're meant to portray a role. I'd love to hear how making starter players have a hard time getting cars/apartments is going to improve roleplay.

Look; different characters, if roleplayed correctly, will have different money-making opportunities. If you want to portray a ghetto resident that either sells small quantities of drugs or works at a 7/11, your earning capacity is very different than someone roleplaying a stripper, or a cop, or a longshoreman, or a business mogul. The idea that this is some even playing field is an RPG mentality; My ghetto character should not be earning the same as my college educated character if roleplayed correctly. They only can if I ignore my role and just do whatever the script lets me.

The only issue with the 200k is if you take an OOC RPG mentality where on every character you misuse every script job and investment opportunity with minimal roleplay and essentially grind the meta-game of GTA:W. Making players who genuinely want to RP suffer/have a hard time, because other people RPG-Grind, is bad for a roleplay server.

Finally, the unspoken resource is any players ability to commit time to grinding/afking/etc. People with disproportionate free time are always going to come out ahead. Don't punish people with real lives as an attempt to slow down people who can spend 12 hours a day in a game. It won't work.

Bro you can get 42k for 3 hours of work a week, is that ooc grind? lmao
LEOs have to work 20hrs a week to get full paycheck is that a grind? No because you're paid based on activity, you're not either paid or not, you're paid on the amount of effort you put in.
I'm just tired of all these 21yo characters that have mommy and daddy's money, sure I can understand why people don't want to do job rp but it's just so common that it's kind of annoying and they can get away with it because there are no expenses at all.

If money doesn't matter then let's just give everyone 1bln and have them roleplay their character the way they want, they can /charity or they can just use it all on 4 cars and 2 houses while being unemployed or just use it as their character should.

Personally I like job rp so maybe I'm biased? I don't know, either way if you think your char should be a milionaire (but scriptly isn't) you can either A) pretend B) actually ask LFM for money, afaik LFM helps with business start-ups (as well as the state government ICly)

-edit: I'm not against having a start-up money, just not 200k which I think is pretty high, you need to have some sort of money to get your first car and apartment, I'm just baffled by the general lack of people rping their finances as they should (namely the mallrats) and the fact that the economy fluctuates a lot because there's no real "standardized price"

Edited by Eestino
  • Wuhtah locked this topic