how and why are there so many rich people

np

2 minutes ago, ScarletRose said:

I completely put the blame on Property Management for these low-end houses being sold for so much. They were the ones who decided it was a good idea to unrestrict how much properties could be sold for. What used to be a 100k trailer in Sandy Shores, with a restriction on how much you could sell it for based on furniture and mp price, can now be sold for 2 million+ as long as you've lived in it for 6 months. And since the demand for these low-end properties are so high, people ignore these absurdly high prices and just happily drop millions into a 1 bedroom house in the middle of nowhere. You can sell a 1 bedroom tiny Paleto house right now for 3-4 million and I guarantee that someone will bid buyout on that in 10 minutes. All this does is incentivize people to sell their houses for even higher amounts because the demand is so high.

And PM always says, "This change revived the house market!" But at what cost? Is it really worth houses being sold more often if they're being sold for such ridiculously high prices, to the point where it is impossible for poor characters to afford them?

Put the property sale restrictions back. Force people to sell their 1 bedroom places for realistic prices, and I guarantee more non-wealthy characters will exist. Because right now, RP'ing wealthy is 100% easier than RP'ing poor. Multi-interior apartments still have their property value restrictions in place. Due to this, penthouses and mid-end apartments in Vinewood and Del Perro are much much more affordable than rundown trailers or small houses. Truth is, penthouses are cheaper than trailers on this server. And that's a problem. It is a lot easier to get your hands on a luxury/high end apartment than a cheap low end place. This is likely one of the biggest reasons for the large amount of rich characters.

There needs to be some cap on prices for sure. With no cap you will only see the pricing going up. It's crazy to pay 2+ mil for an unfurnished house in Southside. 

I just wish we could see more low income roleplayers being able to roleplay in a low income environment, even the criminal roleplayers who are roleplaying in david have luxury. There needs to be some limitations put in place and I think quality management need to start looking into it too. Properties need looking at and those roleplaying in them need looking at.

8 minutes ago, sCrax said:

That's because of property flippers that buy out houses in Southside but don't roleplay there at all. Then they wait for a month to flip the property again meanwhile people from the area can't get their hands on any property because 90% of them are owned by some dude that roleplays in Paleto Bay. And if you contact them OOC to buy the property they ask for 3-5 times the price they bought it for. Most of these properties don't even have any interior/furniture because the owner only cares about making the most profit out of it. They even refuse to rent the property out or they will ask for 30-50k per week lol. Imagine paying that in the poorest neighborhood. 

That's actually not as much of a problem as it used to be. I'm sure it still happens, but most places are actually owned by people who role-play there. Sure, you might not come across them as much due all sorts of reasons - some people play more, others less, some don't spend all their time in/around their property, different timezones and RP types etc. But it's not as big of an issue. Definitely not 90%.

7 minutes ago, ScarletRose said:

I completely put the blame on Property Management for these low-end houses being sold for so much. They were the ones who decided it was a good idea to unrestrict how much properties could be sold for. What used to be a 100k trailer in Sandy Shores, with a restriction on how much you could sell it for based on furniture and mp price, can now be sold for 2 million+ as long as you've lived in it for 6 months. And since the demand for these low-end properties are so high, people ignore these absurdly high prices and just happily drop millions into a 1 bedroom house in the middle of nowhere. You can sell a 1 bedroom tiny Paleto house right now for 3-4 million and I guarantee that someone will bid buyout on that in 10 minutes. All this does is incentivize people to sell their houses for even higher amounts because the demand is so high.

And PM always says, "This change revived the house market!" But at what cost? Is it really worth houses being sold more often if they're being sold for such ridiculously high prices, to the point where it is impossible for poor characters to afford them?

Put the property sale restrictions back. Force people to sell their 1 bedroom places for realistic prices, and I guarantee more non-wealthy characters will exist. Because right now, RP'ing wealthy is 100% easier than RP'ing poor. Multi-interior apartments still have their property value restrictions in place. Due to this, penthouses and mid-end apartments in Vinewood and Del Perro are much much more affordable than rundown trailers or small houses. Truth is, penthouses are cheaper than trailers on this server. And that's a problem. It is a lot easier to get your hands on a luxury/high end apartment than a cheap low end place. This is likely one of the biggest reasons for the large amount of rich characters.

3 minutes ago, sCrax said:

There needs to be some cap on prices for sure. With no cap you will only see the pricing going up. It's crazy to pay 2+ mil for an unfurnished house in Southside. 

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that at all. Yes, we have to pay ridiculous and unrealistic amounts for some shitty, run-down properties. But guess what - at least we can buy them. Sure, when the cap was in place, you'd pay $200k for a trailer, not $800k. Except for one, pretty damn huge problem - there were literally 0 such properties for sale, for months on end. Was that better? That instead of 10 unique properties a month that 100 people want and pay a lot for you'd have 1 property every 2nd month that 200 people want? And unless you see, read, think, decide and reply within literal seconds, it's gone and you get to wait more real-life months? Absolutely not. Our market and economy are messed up but at least they're working. The previous system wasn't realistic at all, and was much more problematic for way more people.

Not to say we can't do better, though. The literal only fix to this is to have fewer high-end properties and make them cost a ton (150k for an Eclipse apartment? make the MP 1.5 million) and at the same time, remove some of the huge amount of unused buildings, unused space, construction sites etc and replace them with low-end housing - either houses and/or standalone apartments or apartment complexes.

And do something about house requests. The current process is pretty much horrendhous for both PM and players. People are writing thousands of words for applications that need 8-9 weeks to be processed. By that time, the initial application can be completely obsolete, factions can close, people can quit characters or even the server or gaming in general. Many, many problems, tons of suggested solutions, barely any implemented.

2 hours ago, Mahitto said:

I think it's completely doable, actually, but it would require a lot of work and effort, which likely won't be put into something like this, albeit it being extremely needed. Look what happened to the Davis Mall, turned an area literally no one used into dozens of apartments/properties.

Which have all been bought up. Not one single unit is for sale or rent now, and thus the housing crisis continues...

1 hour ago, Mahitto said:

That's actually not as much of a problem as it used to be. I'm sure it still happens, but most places are actually owned by people who role-play there. Sure, you might not come across them as much due all sorts of reasons - some people play more, others less, some don't spend all their time in/around their property, different timezones and RP types etc. But it's not as big of an issue. Definitely not 90%.

I was actually talking about houses only. Most houses in Southside are owned by people that don't roleplay in that area. You can ask any gang that was trying to get a house in their hood. It's different with apartments, yes. 

Your character should definitely have a reason to own a property in a certain area or at least rent the property out if you don't actively roleplay there. Properties here are scarce and the flipping has to be regulated more. 

Edited by sCrax
16 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Which have all been bought up. Not one single unit is for sale or rent now, and thus the housing crisis continues...

That's not the case. At. All.

Charleston Street Projects has a scheme in which you can apply for these houses. This was announced and made incredibly clear.

We have some available. Follow the instructions here: 

I'll add some more response a bit later but I just want to add to this: 

Property Management are doing everything in their power to keep the property market fair. We do have properties available in the county in which we'd like to offer as part of the Affordable Housing scheme in a similar way to how we're handling Charleston Street-- Rather than seeing Trailers being sold for ludicrous prices. There's more work to do there, of course-- however when House Requests are open we do accept applications for these trailers (and dont expect the world when you apply for them) . These are visible in this thread here: 

We are a very busy team (all subteams are), but we're making massive strides every day in conquering the lists of work we get, we promise.

Edited by Adv
  • Upvote 3

One thing I want to point out that I noticed is no one mentioned the main factor of Government Pay for SD, PD, MD, etc. They don't have to clock 20 hours in while ON DUTY, they just need to be online.

This is the first server I have ever seen this one. Most servers I have been on require you to actually clock in and they have a financial department who at the end of the week sends out checks to people who worked. They get paid an hourly wage and get paid based on that. With the current system, yeah they get 4-5k per hour when it's broken down but the people getting 4k scriptly via doing /me every 5 minutes... they have to be clocked in and restricted to said RP.

2 hours ago, Targuth said:

One thing I want to point out that I noticed is no one mentioned the main factor of Government Pay for SD, PD, MD, etc. They don't have to clock 20 hours in while ON DUTY, they just need to be online.

This is the first server I have ever seen this one. Most servers I have been on require you to actually clock in and they have a financial department who at the end of the week sends out checks to people who worked. They get paid an hourly wage and get paid based on that. With the current system, yeah they get 4-5k per hour when it's broken down but the people getting 4k scriptly via doing /me every 5 minutes... they have to be clocked in and restricted to said RP.

Neither of those two things is a problem.

• 20 hours a week, on average (3 hours per day) is a lot for lots of people. If the salary was given only for on-duty hours, people would have an incentive to not develop their characters out of work (unless they have 5-6 hours to role-play per day, which for most people in most cases is just unrealistic).
  • The $4,000/hour bonus is completely neccessary to incentivize role-play over grinding in most jobs. If your income depends on your sales, you'll look to rush as many as you can to get as much as you can. If it simply depends on role-playing, then you'll do that, even if you get one or twenty sales that hour. It's a way to make sure people can role-play while still getting script money to then use for more role-play. Besides, most businesses couldn't sustain themselves without it.
2 hours ago, Adv said:

That's not the case. At. All.

Charleston Street Projects has a scheme in which you can apply for these houses. This was announced and made incredibly clear.

We have some available. Follow the instructions here: 

I'll add some more response a bit later but I just want to add to this: 

Property Management are doing everything in their power to keep the property market fair. We do have properties available in the county in which we'd like to offer as part of the Affordable Housing scheme in a similar way to how we're handling Charleston Street-- Rather than seeing Trailers being sold for ludicrous prices. There's more work to do there, of course-- however when House Requests are open we do accept applications for these trailers (and dont expect the world when you apply for them) . These are visible in this thread here: 

We are a very busy team (all subteams are), but we're making massive strides every day in conquering the lists of work we get, we promise.

It's not beyond me to admit a misunderstanding and make amends. I apologize for my incorrect assessment.

That said, something that would go a long way to helping prevent any future misunderstandings, would be the changing of how application-acquired homes read when approached. Instead of leaving them unmarked, maybe have a message included when you near the door that states "Apply at (forum/application link here) for this home". As it is, when the door is approached, the message given suggests only that it's owned and cannot be interacted with outside of how you normally would with homes owned by other people. There's literally nothing to imply an application process is involved at all, much less that the property is even available to begin with.

This change would dispell a great deal of pessimism surrounding the housing market, and help many of the roleplayers that don't check the forums regularly enough to get the messages you want conveyed.

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Wuhtah locked this topic