how and why are there so many rich people

np

It's increasingly difficult to portray a character as lower income when all the homes that are suitable for a low income character, are bought up down to the last unit for use exclusively by various organizations.

"We bought up all the low income housing and refuse to sell or even rent any of it, so WHY are people only buying upper class homes!? It's unrealistic and unfair!"

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, doble_brown said:

200k to start a character is to much.

New people that join the server feel complete with the super car and new house. So they don't go to work or even find ways to RP. 

That's true for some. I can't even begin counting how many people I've seen spend their entire starter $200,000 on a sports car, or a slightly more expensive one after grinding some random job, just so they can drift it around for 3 hours a day.

But on the other hand, it's barely enough (or not enough at all for others). I've recently started a dirt poor illegal character. I've pretty much finished establishing it but so far, I spent around $40,000 on an old, rusty-looking car, $80,000 on an apartment (so much worse if you want a run-down house or a trailer), around $100,000 on furnishing it, around $20,000 on various customization (outfits, tattoos, surgeon, hair etc), and like $30,000 on his main hustle (which is basically RP-only, it doesn't make much money). In total, almost $300,000. And this is not a character that's a regular middle-class person. All in all, it highly depends. $200k is either a lot, just enough or not close to enough.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Mahitto said:

That's true for some. I can't even begin counting how many people I've seen spend their entire starter $200,000 on a sports car, or a slightly more expensive one after grinding some random job, just so they can drift it around for 3 hours a day.

But on the other hand, it's barely enough (or not enough at all for others). I've recently started a dirt poor illegal character. I've pretty much finished establishing it but so far, I spent around $40,000 on an old, rusty-looking car, $80,000 on an apartment (so much worse if you want a run-down house or a trailer), around $100,000 on furnishing it, around $20,000 on various customization (outfits, tattoos, surgeon, hair etc), and like $30,000 on his main hustle (which is basically RP-only, it doesn't make much money). In total, almost $300,000. And this is not a character that's a regular middle-class person. All in all, it highly depends. $200k is either a lot, just enough or not close to enough.

Of course but you seem a player with some knowledge and RP time. Of course you know that you wanted a already established char in LS. Not just some migrant that moved, you are a resident.

But new players don't think that way.. they go with the flow and don't have a base for their character. So they have small points, like have a better life or having a good car and house, get rich.

Giving them 200k can almost grant them 2 metas for his character and they don't know what to do next.

If the 200k would not be given like that, that would force players to work IG and expose them to RP to achieve their metas. And they can learn the basics or RP. Working IG does not require to be grind a job. But for me is preferably to new players grind on trucker and be somewhat useful to economy to be only be at clubs or drifting. They don't even know how to portray a somewhat successful character.

The way the server is set out, it's harder to roleplay a poorer character, trailers costing 700/800k, the vehicles you can make look run down cost a fortune to get then you have to upgrade them to "downgrade them". 

If you're wanting people to roleplay having less money, the focus needs to be on facilitating for those. Add more trailers and make them cheaper, add more rundown projects and make them cheaper than "200k market price". 

The way the economy is set out is the reason why everyone is rp'ing rich, just because it's easier to do. It's cheaper to buy an apartment up in a luxurious location than it is to buy a run down place on the outskirts. 

30 minutes ago, gatsbeh said:

The way the economy is set out is the reason why everyone is rp'ing rich, just because it's easier to do. It's cheaper to buy an apartment up in a luxurious location than it is to buy a run down place on the outskirts. 

That's so, so, so true... Go in-game, you'll see 10 ads with luxury penthouses in Tinsel Towers or at Eclipse for sale for ~150k-200k. If you want a small, one-bedroom run-down shitty apartment in South LS? Or even better, a run-down house or trailer, in the city or otherwise? Expect to spend the next 3 months posting constant ads, spending $50,000 in ads only, so that you can enter a bidding contest as if you're buying the English crown jewels and spend $1,200,000 on the worst you can get. We need more of these and less of the former.

1 minute ago, Mahitto said:

That's so, so, so true... Go in-game, you'll see 10 ads with luxury penthouses in Tinsel Towers or at Eclipse for sale for ~150k-200k. If you want a small, one-bedroom run-down shitty apartment in South LS? Or even better, a run-down house or trailer, in the city or otherwise? Expect to spend the next 3 months posting constant ads, spending $50,000 in ads only, so that you can enter a bidding contest as if you're buying the English crown jewels and spend $1,200,000 on the worst you can get. We need more of these and less of the former.

Couldn't agree more, it's bad... You end up going up against Jeffrey Bezos in a bidding war to try and secure your one bedroom one bathroom house in Davis. If the server could facilitate more for the poor, you'd see a lot more poorer characters.

20 minutes ago, gatsbeh said:

Couldn't agree more, it's bad... You end up going up against Jeffrey Bezos in a bidding war to try and secure your one bedroom one bathroom house in Davis. If the server could facilitate more for the poor, you'd see a lot more poorer characters.

I think it's completely doable, actually, but it would require a lot of work and effort, which likely won't be put into something like this, albeit it being extremely needed. Look what happened to the Davis Mall, turned an area literally no one used into dozens of apartments/properties. We would, however, need so much more of that (and less of the high-end ones) to fix this issues.

We have so much space that's literally just sitting around, both in the city and in the county, and which could be turned into real estate. Check out this topic/comment. It can slowly but surely be done.

42 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

That's because of property flippers that buy out houses in Southside but don't roleplay there at all. Then they wait for a month to flip the property again meanwhile people from the area can't get their hands on any property because 90% of them are owned by some dude that roleplays in Paleto Bay. And if you contact them OOC to buy the property they ask for 3-5 times the price they bought it for. Most of these properties don't even have any interior/furniture because the owner only cares about making the most profit out of it. They even refuse to rent the property out or they will ask for 30-50k per week lol. Imagine paying that in the poorest neighborhood. 

I completely put the blame on Property Management for these low-end houses being sold for so much. They were the ones who decided it was a good idea to unrestrict how much properties could be sold for. What used to be a 100k trailer in Sandy Shores, with a restriction on how much you could sell it for based on furniture and mp price, can now be sold for 2 million+ as long as you've lived in it for 6 months. And since the demand for these low-end properties are so high, people ignore these absurdly high prices and just happily drop millions into a 1 bedroom house in the middle of nowhere. You can sell a 1 bedroom tiny Paleto house right now for 3-4 million and I guarantee that someone will bid buyout on that in 10 minutes. All this does is incentivize people to sell their houses for even higher amounts because the demand is so high.

And PM always says, "This change revived the house market!" But at what cost? Is it really worth houses being sold more often if they're being sold for such ridiculously high prices, to the point where it is impossible for poor characters to afford them?

Put the property sale restrictions back. Force people to sell their 1 bedroom places for realistic prices, and I guarantee more non-wealthy characters will exist. Because right now, RP'ing wealthy is 100% easier than RP'ing poor. Multi-interior apartments still have their property value restrictions in place. Due to this, penthouses and mid-end apartments in Vinewood and Del Perro are much much more affordable than rundown trailers or small houses. Truth is, penthouses are cheaper than trailers on this server. And that's a problem. It is a lot easier to get your hands on a luxury/high end apartment than a cheap low end place. This is likely one of the biggest reasons for the large amount of rich characters.

2 minutes ago, sCrax said:

That's because of property flippers that buy out houses in Southside but don't roleplay there at all. Then they wait for a month to flip the property again meanwhile people from the area can't get their hands on any property because 90% of them are owned by some dude that roleplays in Paleto Bay. And if you contact them OOC to buy the property they ask for 3-5 times the price they bought it for. Most of these properties don't even have any interior/furniture because the owner only cares about making the most profit out of it. They even refuse to rent the property out or they will ask for 30-50k per week lol. Imagine paying that in the poorest neighborhood. 

PM moment

• Wuhtah locked this topic