how and why are there so many rich people

np

7 hours ago, Tangsta said:

You already need good justification to nearly own anything in the server, now I need a story as to why i should be allowed to have the money ive earned. What are you smoking.

Not everyone seems to be aware of that yeah... 😕

My char opened a business in November. Here's the money he had when the business opened:

image.png.1c86194d8012c2c737679bacd920dd88.png

Here's the money he's got now:

image.png.6945b78d7f5f865bc64e266b55473653.png

I've trucked maybe 10 crates, since? But AT LEAST 90% of that money was obtained through no script means. It's all from the business (which has ZERO gov bonuses: only what players pay), from favors, last-second help, etc

So at some point i bought a fancier car for 160k from an IC friend, who was selling it for cheap as a favor. Annnd... I was told by admins that it was a questionable asset, and that the (lots of) IC money obtained from rich clients like Jenna Gardiner (RIP) was "not IC". Oo

Luckily I don't care too much: I sold the car, that's the end of it. The character I got is pretty air-headed and not that much into flaunting his money. However it's wrong to believe that you can buy whatever you want irrealistically. Even if you get a lot of money, all of it IC, all of it realistically, you'll still be told that nope: it's not IC. In fact to me it seemed like losing a lot of money and big costs should be taken IC: I got around 40k per month of bills for the office, security, internet (dot.it), etc. (because yes unlike many people i rp that you need internet to have internet lol) - however, big tips & good surprises? Those are not be taken IC, only the bad ones.

That idea that you can just buy a ton of sports cars easily is just a perception that doesn't reflect reality. The reality is that even if you get rich IC through work, connections, projects, etc. then you'll still be told you aren't allowed to portray a richer character ^^' I'm lucky it's not an RP avenue I was too interested in. But for those who'd like to RP an "american dream" sort of thing, it will be a road paved with frustration :x 

Edited by Topinambour

I'm not saying that admins should limit what people RP, but the system should be done in a way its not that easy to make money. If you dont want to RP working at all, you should only be able to get a simple car (the ones for lease at the airport) rent a small one room apartment, and afford clubs and pubs fees. Thats more than enough to RP. 

If you want to RP a regular job, you should be able to get a better house and vehicle, but you should have expenses as not to be able to get rich by grinding.

I'd make luxury vehicles and properties even more expensive so that only business owners could afford them.

This is a game, and if getting rich through RP and connections is the "goal". Making it harder to achieve would make the game more fun, since itd be a better challenge.

Edited by Lurleen
1 hour ago, Topinambour said:

snip

I think that's actually a much larger issue than people who role-play their wealth. There's this up-and-coming trend of people who don't play-to-win, but are actually obsessed with losing, and flaunting that as if that's what makes them better. I think that's not only extremely cringe but also very problematic and unneeded. I've seen this happen (from a 3rd party perspective, granted), where someone was being "admonished" by randoms for every single choice which didn't involve their character being the biggest fuck-up, who loses every single situation, is dirt poor and can't get anything right. It's a similar trend to the stupid rich characters, but on the very other extreme.

2 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

I think that's actually a much larger issue than people who role-play their wealth. There's this up-and-coming trend of people who don't play-to-win, but are actually obsessed with losing, and flaunting that as if that's what makes them better. I think that's not only extremely cringe but also very problematic and unneeded. I've seen this happen (from a 3rd party perspective, granted), where someone was being "admonished" by randoms for every single choice which didn't involve their character being the biggest fuck-up, who loses every single situation, is dirt poor and can't get anything right. It's a similar trend to the stupid rich characters, but on the very other extreme.

I should have mentioned, those who told me the asset was questionable weren't players but admins ^^'

But it's true there is also this school of thoughts that if you're not playing a hobo then it's not good heavy RP or whatever other nonsense yeah :x 

I've personally never had more than 300k in money, for most of my characters I generally don't need it and don't feel the need to horde vast amounts of money.

I have to admit it's pretty cringe to see 20 something year old truckers driving around in heavily modded sports cars and other luxury vehicles. Whilst interstate trucking can pay well due to the distances involved local delivery drivers  are maybe going to be earning a little over minimum wage. If I saw this as an admin, I'd sure as hell question it too. Same goes for the majority 20 somethings in any working class job. They're not going to get the higher paying roles without experience and I believe that's why admins end up asking questions about assets most of the time, because it simply doesn't fit with what's being roleplayed. Even real life hookers, barely make ends meet and mostly don't want to do it, yet in gtaw it's the highest paying job.

On the flip side, if someone has earned their riches through roleplay (I'm not talking about grinding jobs here) and has meaningful character development behind it, they've gone from zero to hero type of deal then just leave them to it imo.

Players are going to bitch about other players being rich no matter how those riches are earned, whether through grinding or hundreds of hours of engaging roleplay. It's true on every single server and it's never going to change. If someone's character is genuinely unrealistic, throw up an RPQM. They may take a long time but they really do get looked at.

Personally I have nothing wrong with the amount of people who want to play rich. There's nothing wrong with that, just as there's nothing wrong with the tons of people who play on the illegal side of things. The core of the issue is not what people want to play, it's how they play it. The portrayal is the issue, not the fact that someone wants to RP rich. At the end of the day, we are here to have fun. It's not everyone's idea of fun that in order to be considered acceptable by our society's standards, your wealth shouldn't have come from grinding a job. What if that's what that person considered fun? What if they play during a time zone where only a few people they know are online? Why should they be penalized for having acquired a lot of money? They shouldn't.

What they should be held accountable for is the quality of RP moving forward from that point. Are they an 18 year old trucker that all of a sudden drives an exotic car after two weeks? I'd say that's highly questionable. Are they a 35+ year old trucker that has decided after years of hard work (RP years, not real years), they want to buy themselves something nice? I don't have a problem with that as long as its reasonable. What's the backstory? How do they portray their wealth? That's the issue at hand. Please stop insulting people for wanting to RP rich. Not everyone wants to play a zero-to-hero type character and they shouldn't be held to that standard. If someone can portray something correctly in a way that makes sense for their character, let them do it. Don't be so judgemental just because it isn't your idea of how things should be. If they aren't breaking rules and they present a character that makes sense to be more wealthy at that point in their development, let them. It's part of why we are all here, to be able to experience and enjoy an atmosphere that takes us away from real life for a little while.

Edited by Cypher99
  • Applaud 1

The money is not the problem, the mindset is. If you got more people wanting to roleplay extremely wealthy and the server doesn't limit it (like they do limit some other concepts on the illegal side of the server, to avoid overpopulating a certain branch of roleplay) then there is your issue. 

Edited by Paul Sarino
  • Wuhtah locked this topic