how and why are there so many rich people

np

11 hours ago, Gecko said:

Regarding portrayal: if your character is a young adult who owns their own one/two bedroom house or condo (no mortgage) and owns their car (no lease) that weren't inherited - you're definitely in the well off category. Especially in a big west coast city. You're not lower class just because you think your character's recently acquired house is "shitty" or "small". The dudes with hella expensive cars aren't the only ones ignoring a real life economy parallel.

This, but on the subject of cars, I just take it IC as people making questionable money decisions. My character is a DJ and out of a lifestyle choice he bought himself a flashy car but lives in a shitty studio apartment looking at his kitchen while he sleeps, because there's people with those messed up priorities IRL, especially in that world.

The problem as well is the concept of money to begin with. Current economy is such that an illegal gun (depending on who you know) is sold at the price of a more than serviceable car that the Average, Middle Class Joe would drive. These prices are argued IC and this money is traded IC. There's a disconnect there with some facts about earned money when you put it in the mouths of characters interacting with one another and arguing these prices. At that point, you're RPing this economy as reality.

What do I do if my bartender character receives a $5.000 tip for an actual RPed service, after a customer RPs giving me said $5.000 in the form of a tip. If at the end of the night I walk out with my salary + $15.000 in tips that people RPed giving me? I can choose to ignore that my character received that money, and I can make every reason for misfortune to happen passively to my character to make him lose it all, but to be honest that also doesn't sit right.

If people in Los Santos are careless about money and consistently RP flaunting it and throwing it at people, then at some point you have to take it IC and assume that that's the world you live in, with rules that are similar to real life, but still with wacky little things that are off, like the fact that a charismatic bartender can rake in thousands in tips in a night. We'll just have to learn to live with the fact that IRL someone in the service industry is either stuck there, or waiting on something better, but that someone dedicated in Los Santos can make a lot of money with it. Just take player population actions and trends as fact insofar as they're consistent.

Changing the color of your license plate is $5,000, "rich" doesn't mean the same thing on GTA:W as it does IRL.

But more importantly, as you may have noticed this thread has brought out a large amount of people who think they get to dictate what other people RP or not.

They RP what they want, because they want to. Get over it.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, EMC said:

Changing the color of your license plate is $5,000, "rich" doesn't mean the same thing on GTA:W as it does IRL.

But more importantly, as you may have noticed this thread has brought out a large amount of people who think they get to dictate what other people RP or not.

They RP what they want, because they want to. Get over it.

To sum up every forum topic in general like this in 8 seconds:

• Upvote 4

Don't make the server harder for new people without OOC friends because some people have been here no-lifeing it for years.

Its an RP server. Some people will portray their characters well, some people poorly. Some people in between.

However making things a grind that ensures any roleplayer with a modicum of real-life responsibilities (school, job, family, normal social life) will be able to do less than someone who is NEET and can spend all day at the computer, which means your server will wind up populated mostly by younger players and people without normal lives. Those people tend to be worse roleplayers with the least amount of RL sensibility and experience to reference. Role-playing should be encouraged over second-lifing.

The abundance of "wealthy" characters who are sub-25 years old, own five Comets or Pariahs or whatever, RP as a bartender/mechanic/whatever, and do nothing but paycheck farm make it extremely difficult for people who put genuine effort into playing a character with development into the corporate sector to obtain their wealth to be taken seriously. The fact of the matter is, there will always be blurred lines in that regard because these people who buy Paragon Rs and work at 24/7s, at bars, or as strippers have next to no upkeep they need to pay unlike business owners who need to pay for component costs and booze, as well as pay their employees. This is why I try to stay self-aware and provide a lot of self-deprecation about my only wealthy character out of six 'being a snooty corporate bitch' in my emotes, so people know it's a trait.

My approach as of late is to completely disregard the existence of some of these characters by writing them off as 'trust funders' IC and just ignoring them.

Everyone here is so eager to press more upkeep on business owners, yet they forget that most of these people are not business owners. They don't want the responsibilities associated with running a business on this server, they just want all the "fame" and glory associated with a character who's built a brand and earned what they own. The easiest way to make these people go away is to not pay attention to them. They just want to be noticed for driving their Pariah they got from flipping houses. Ignore them or file an RPQM report on them. Ignore their burnouts, two-stepping exhausts and attempts to inject themselves into the server 50-100 hours in as 'celeb-status'. It's an OOC flexing thing. By giving them your mind and playing into their urban fantasies, you feed their fame.

• Upvote 1

You can RP freely, but if you want to improve the way of roleplaying a character you could take a 0 from your bank money. For example if you got $100.000, say that you have $10.000, that way you force yourself to not overspend and keep a normal level of roleplaying. If people would start acting like this and RP without putting too much pressure on the money this server could be more than it is now. Don't be an idiot with your money and learn to adapt. Rich lesbians are everywhere, on SA-MP, MTA, GTA V, it's the way that we're punish RPers that just grind paychecks that matters.

Please keep in mind that everyone has a different personality and a different mindset, donut judge a person if you can't judge yourself in the first place. <3 

On 9/26/2021 at 6:15 AM, ChromaticDeath said:

The abundance of "wealthy" characters who are sub-25 years old, own five Comets or Pariahs or whatever, RP as a bartender/mechanic/whatever, and do nothing but paycheck farm make it extremely difficult for people who put genuine effort into playing a character with development into the corporate sector to obtain their wealth to be taken seriously. The fact of the matter is, there will always be blurred lines in that regard because these people who buy Paragon Rs and work at 24/7s, at bars, or as strippers have next to no upkeep they need to pay unlike business owners who need to pay for component costs and booze, as well as pay their employees. This is why I try to stay self-aware and provide a lot of self-deprecation about my only wealthy character out of six 'being a snooty corporate bitch' in my emotes, so people know it's a trait.

My approach as of late is to completely disregard the existence of some of these characters by writing them off as 'trust funders' IC and just ignoring them.

Everyone here is so eager to press more upkeep on business owners, yet they forget that most of these people are not business owners. They don't want the responsibilities associated with running a business on this server, they just want all the "fame" and glory associated with a character who's built a brand and earned what they own. The easiest way to make these people go away is to not pay attention to them. They just want to be noticed for driving their Pariah they got from flipping houses. Ignore them or file an RPQM report on them. Ignore their burnouts, two-stepping exhausts and attempts to inject themselves into the server 50-100 hours in as 'celeb-status'. It's an OOC flexing thing. By giving them your mind and playing into their urban fantasies, you feed their fame.

This guy gets the nail on the head. Very few business owners /really/ want to even run their business. They just want the prestige and the "image" it creates. There are few I see that I truly say "oh that guy being loaded makes sense" many are just LARPing. The RP of everyone having a rolex on their wrist in their character attributes is just silly. It's poor people in real life acting out what they THINK rich people are like. This is an issue entirely with people portraying characters poorly however, then I believe any issue with the script / economy / server. Pushing more upkeep on businesses will just go down to people like me to mostly manage establishment for absentee business owners. The concept that business owners who own low-budget businesses worth sub <100,0000 and nothing else wouldn't even work in the business also doesn't make sense but they think being a business owner is driving a Rolex they got from people running a coffee shop for them. Absurd.

Edited by Tickle
  • Wuhtah locked this topic