[LS Tribune] An interview with Senator Edward Ulf: Senate life, abortion rights, drug testing and climate change

books

CUcjRXa.png

LATEST | POLITICS

An interview with Senator Edward Ulf: Senate life, abortion rights, drug testing and climate change

We speak to Democratic Senator Edward Ulf about Senate life and his policy positions

mQTD1XK.png

By PHOEBE HOLTER

As one of the newer faces to the Democratic Senate roster, Swedish-born Democratic Senator Edward Ulf has already made a splash in Senate politics. Now facing the challenge of seeing out his last three bills before the end of the session, Senator Ulf speaks to us from his office in the Senate Capitol building about his personal life, his time in the Senate so far and his policy positions. 

Phoebe Holter: Senator Ulf, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to speak to us. I think it's fair to say you're one of the fresher faces in the Senate. Could you tell us a little about your background and what got you into state politics?

Edward Ulf: No problems and well I emigrated from Sweden to work here and seek out new opportunities and life. I've always been interested in politics both back home and here especially on the federal level.

Edward Ulf: So when I pitched in, helped out with the Democrats and well now I am here. I hope I can earn their trust and the people's trust. I used to work down at the Port as well as other minor jobs here and there to support my living. 

Phoebe Holter: A docks worker? I imagine coming from such a background really gives you a closer connection to your constituents, Senator.

Phoebe Holter:  How have you been fitting into the hectic life as a Senator so far? With the whole impeachment process things got heated for a little bit there between the two parties. Have you been enjoying your time in the Senate and balancing it with your personal life?

Edward Ulf: Yea. The port was wild and fun at the same time. Had fires every other week, terrorists shooting the place up and our workers. Robberies at the local companies, G6 flinging their cars at the piers. Hectic but as you said, getting close to knowing how the people work and live in areas not visited by politicians who spend their time clubbing and having fun in parties. I think I have fitted well into the life as a Senator though I have had some missteps here and there.

Edward Ulf:  Regarding the impeachment, i could not really vote on it so I abstained. I was not here when the motion was filed so I could not vote on it because it would not be right. I believe I have been balancing my life here and my personal life considering I have met a beautiful lady working here and she seems like the one.

Phoebe Holter: Let's talk a little about policy. You've got three bills awaiting committee hearings at the moment. 

Edward Ulf: That is correct, yes.

Phoebe Holter: One that's caught some peoples' eyes has been your Women's Health Act, which seeks to bring about a legal framework to abortion in the state. Could you share with us why you think this bill is important and your thoughts on a woman's right to choose?

Edward Ulf: Of course. While there is federal law with Roe v. Wade and established case laws protecting a woman's right to choose, we still do not have it on the state's books. So any politician can push to make it extremely difficult or painful for a woman to get an abortion. Look at Texas and what they're doing with the abortion laws. We can't and shall not treat our citizens like cattle to be used for pumping out babies.

Edward Ulf: That is why I believe a woman should have the right to choose wether or not to carry something in them they may not want. And why this bill will ensure that they get that and doesn't abuse it to and I quote kill off millions of babies as some media influencers cry about on the air nowadays.

Edward Ulf: Lastly, it is also about freedom if you allow me to be corny. If we claim and boast that this is the United States of America is the most freedom loving country in the world then it boggles my mind if we then do a 180 and say either produce a baby or get put in jail. That is a lot more North Korean.

Phoebe Holter: Republican Senator Jonathan Spencer has in past interviews with LSNN has avoided the question on the matter of abortion, saying he'd make a public position on it known "when the time comes". How do you feel about the bill's chances of passing, with the Senate split the way it is?

Edward Ulf: I do believe it has a chance to pass. It is a solid bill and will ensure our citizens do have access to safe and legal abortion. I know all Democrats support it. I believe some Republicans may as well.

Phoebe Holter: Another one of your bills that's caught some attention is the State Drug Testing for Government Employees Act which outlines a framework for testing performing drug tests on public sector employees. Could you outline for our readers why you think this bill is important?

Edward Ulf: Well. I think it is important for our government and the agencies and departments under it to be transparent and as with the Woman's Health Act, establish a legal framework to protect both the State et cetera and the people working for it. It is both for the government and the employees.

Phoebe Holter: State Democrats have largely been in favor of legalization of marijuana, yet this bill has mention of marijuana testing. What’s your own feelings towards drug decriminalization, especially more broad decriminalization like we’ve seen in Oregon? 

Edward Ulf: I do support decriminalization of marijuana as I believe it was outlawed due to racist concerns back in the day but you may be confusing the Act I proposed and what my party hopes to achieve.  I do not want our brave first responders and our employees to be high on duty or at work. That would be problematic. What they do off duty or off work is none of my concern. As long as they follow the law. 

Edward Ulf:  I do hope my Republican friends work with us to decriminalize weed for private use. It has many benefits as proven by countless studies and is extremely good for patients who need it plus great for anti depressants.

Phoebe Holter: State Republicans have been supportive of such proposals in the past, so I'm sure that will not be an issue. Do you have time for one last question regarding your Climate Change act?

Edward Ulf: Go for it.

Phoebe Holter: It's an issue that's close to the hearts of many of our readers in the state: The Addressing the Climate Issues Act of 2021. By this point, we’d hope most people would understand why you think a bill on this issue is important. But do you think we’re doing enough at the moment to cut our carbon emissions in the state and what are you hoping this bill will achieve?

Edward Ulf: We are absolutely doing nothing to cut our carbon emissions in this state. We are doing nothing to prevent our state from burning to a crisp. I hope with this bill we can take the first step into addressing the multiple issues we have in this state and country and show the world that we as Americans are the number one leader in making the world a better place. It is why I designed the bill to be like that so that it does not regulate businesses or forces them to follow the policies set in the bill. It is however my hope that they try to follow it, try to do better to help address the issues.

Edward Ulf:  We've seen the droughts that has attacked our country, we've seen the amount of floods and natural disasters across the states. Are we even prepared for that? I do not think so.  I know many will say and I quote, oh who cares. It's not affecting me now! Stop being tyrants!  I'd like to ask them how they feel when some years from now and when their children take over and the world is plagued with natural disasters left and right, how do they feel about that then? Because as of right now, the clock is ticking. 

Phoebe Holter: Thank you for your time Senator. One last thing, are you a sports guy? Basketball, football, hockey?

Edward Ulf: I do love me some soccer and F1. Wouldn't call myself a sports guy, just enjoy watching it.

Thank you for supporting The Los Santos Tribune, this is our last publication pending a merger with News X.

aj4U0lb.png

12LHO78.png

(( /banktransfer amount Phoebe Holter LST Donation ))

What are your thoughts on Senator Edward Ulf's positions? Leave them below

Comments are enabled on this article

Username: 

Comment:

Edited by books
  • Upvote 2
  • books changed the title to [LS Tribune] An interview with Senator Edward Ulf: Senate life, abortion rights, drug testing and climate change

Username: 爱猫人
Comment: Quote, "The port was wild and fun at the same time. Had fires every other week, terrorists shooting the place up and our workers. Robberies at the local companies..."
Is this what our senator thinks is wild and fun? Innocent laborers being terrorized at work with no compensation or increase of wages for the hazardous work conditions... Unfair! They're gonna start asking Laborers to bring bullet proof vests to work soon if things keep going as they are.

• Applaud 1
32 minutes ago, slump said:

Username: 爱猫人
Comment: Quote, "The port was wild and fun at the same time. Had fires every other week, terrorists shooting the place up and our workers. Robberies at the local companies..."
Is this what our senator thinks is wild and fun? Innocent laborers being terrorized at work with no compensation or increase of wages for the hazardous work conditions... Unfair! They're gonna start asking Laborers to bring bullet proof vests to work soon if things keep going as they are.

Username: AngryPortWorker

Comment:We get shot up, we have to breathe in toxic fumes and have to make sure Rancho doesn't burn to the ground (which it nearly did!!!!) and this is what the democrats think? That it's funny?! MY HEALTH IS NOT A MATTER OF COMEDY BUT A MATTER OF CONCERN!!!!!!