Prison changes for illegal roleplayers

Nervous

Jail changes  

270 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Oaks. said:

I fail to see why only illegal factions would fall under this. If you're a "legal" roleplayer who gets arrested, you're allowed to avoid just because you don't dabble in the criminal side often enough? Seems a bit one-sided to me.

+1 If this is gonna be a thing, make it serverwide. 

If people have a problem with IC consequences for IC actions, why are they even playing on a heavy RP server?

2 hours ago, .George said:

It would only really punish wrong people.
People who are in danger of getting CKed can always log in during odd times when prison is more or less empty and have no dangers present.

So this measure will be increasing activity even during odd times? Nice! This'll definitely address a lot of the concerns regarding activity.

2 hours ago, Oaks. said:

I fail to see why only illegal factions would fall under this. If you're a "legal" roleplayer who gets arrested, you're allowed to avoid just because you don't dabble in the criminal side often enough? Seems a bit one-sided to me.

I agree with this completely. This should apply even to the random average Joe going in for felony trespassing or whatever crime got them locked up in the slammer.

4 hours ago, Kipps said:

Also, saying you want to roleplay a criminal without jail is like saying you want to roleplay a criminal without violence. Both are core parts of the scene.

This was actually the biggest justification for starting up my current car theft ring, to promote nonviolent crime. So far it's been pretty solid.

Still, your actual point is sound.

1 hour ago, Gallagher said:

one potential problem that could arise is... if there are so many new players with no idea what to do who maybe do not want to rp there and will fuck around, the prison car faction members will be forced (IC) to remove them. this could be a 2 on 1 beating, a stabbing or a murder. this means that so many of our prison roleplayers will be getting pushed into regular solitary confinement and adding further charges to their sentences, just for what is essentially a troll who does not want to rp there.

This might not actually be a bad thing. These trolls don't just start existing the moment this new rule is out into effect, they have always existed. Getting them exposed to more of the community means they'll be easier for community staff to identify and remove. 

I do jail rp a lot. I have rped in most cars with lifers just to get the full scope of jail rp because it's an interesting topic for me. It's an admittedly unique and complicated thing to be interested in and enjoy that requires some research to be able to roleplay well, so I understand if another player who doesn't hold the same interests as I do would rather AFK their sentence or PC up than get involved in the complicated IC politics of county jail. I don't think that a player should be forced to rp something that they don't enjoy, because it sucks for them and the people around them. I also understand the other view point of wishing there were 40-50 people active in TTCF everyday to add immersion and realism to the scene, but it's not a good idea to force anyone to do anything, especially when it comes to an rp server. We're all here to have fun in our own different ways.

1 minute ago, Yoshijira said:

Conceptually it sounds cool and all, but it's probably just going to lead to a massive decrease of quality in prison RP and make prison seen as more of an OOC consequence than it is an IC one.

How?

11 minutes ago, Nosey said:

I also understand the other view point of wishing there were 40-50 people active in TTCF everyday to add immersion and realism to the scene, but it's not a good idea to force anyone to do anything, especially when it comes to an rp server. We're all here to have fun in our own different ways.

You are role-playing a criminal on a heavy role-play server. You get arrested and sentenced to prison. Expecting you to role-play that is very reasonable.

Edited by Florida

I mean, I basically did this when I was in jail anyways, because I wanted out as soon as possible. Not because I enjoyed prison RP. 90% of the time you're just sat around a table with some guys from your ethnic group, doing random emotes to make the time tick by. That, or people are killing each other because somebody sat at the wrong table, or whatever. Admittedly, I don't find prison RP all that engaging - but this rule, I don't think's really going to effect anyone, since - I feel like most people probably login anyways, just to get out faster and to get back to whatever they were doing.

16 minutes ago, Florida said:

How?

Because not everybody that's involved in illegal RP can be really fucked into understanding the general nuances present within a county jail. Not everybody is going to understand how cars work, or how county, at least GenPop, functions on a day to day basis along with the culture surrounding the environment. I'm not saying I'm an expert on the kind of RP in there by any means, but that's also why I don't have a dedicated lifer character. When an RP group focuses on a sub-group's culture and you then dump people that have never even remotely encountered that culture, the RP is going to deteriorate.

You could say the same thing about most illegal factions, but the primary difference is that within factions there are more people that have knowledge on that culture and are able to help others know more about such, and thus reasonably being able to regulate the quality of RP. That deterioration is within the minority and is slowly transformed into being non-existent. With county jail, the amount of people with the knowledge and time to help people properly RP someone that touched down in county would be heavily out-numbered by those that don't really get how to RP such. You can't reasonably expect people to do the equivalent of herding dozens of cats just so that their experience isn't diminished.

Also, the vast majority of people are not interested in this kind of RP. Yeah it's a part of the experience, but it also just de-tracts from the quality if the person at hand doesn't really care or find the RP within county to be fun.

24 minutes ago, Yoshijira said:

Because not everybody that's involved in illegal RP can be really fucked into understanding the general nuances present within a county jail. Not everybody is going to understand how cars work, or how county, at least GenPop, functions on a day to day basis along with the culture surrounding the environment.

So learn about it IC and actually RP the fact that you are new to it

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Nosey said:

I don't think that a player should be forced to rp something that they don't enjoy

So you feel victims should be free to walk away from muggings or crimes in general because it's not fun for the victim? My crusty old car thief can't just block wipe a whole gang because it isn't fun to have someone walk off without paying for the car they were provided. There are points where experiences will not be fun, but we are still expected to roleplay them, prison sentences included.

Another aspect of this that people tend to overlook in order to argue against this new measure, is that nobody is forcing anyone to commit the crimes that lead up to these sentences. If there is some genuine concern that you won't enjoy this new approach to prison time, it's entirely within your ability to adopt new and safer approaches to criminal activity, to better limit the risk of imprisonment.

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic