why do people rp british and would the server be better if we banned it

Gallagher

Just now, Odin said:

I don't see a good way to solve the issue at hand. Banning people RPing anything other than pure American just won't happen and it'd require 1000's of characters to be thrown away on top of the backlash it would have from huge portions of the community playing these characters who don't want micromanagement. If someone acts dumb, RPQM them.

whats dumb? maybe we stop people rping overly british. standing in the middle of los angeles in a Peaky Blinders cap and a trench coat saying "oi blimey" is fuckin dumb, but its a very subjective thing

This is a subject I've touched on on another thread about a standard being kept across-the-board. IFM enforce one standard, FM adhere to a completely different one. On one hand you've got immersion in mind and on the other you've got disregard. It creates this weird parallel of quality and expectation. People are apprehended daily for "poor portrayal" when it comes to actions but unrealistic characterization is completely disregarded. I feel that if characters are to roleplay as migrants then any form of criminality should leave them open to a CK through "deportation." Yesterday alone I seen a British bar, with British bartenders, British patrons and four British members of law enforcement casually roam around it, both inside and out.

As an example, somebody made a claim of the bathroom in the aforementioned bar being "unisex." The bartender shouts across the room "it's not bloody unisex ya, tit, it's the women's loo!" The member of law enforcement follows up by telling him to "let it go mate."

If people are being punished for unrealistic roleplay, they should be reprimanded for unrealistic characterization, too. 

16 minutes ago, Gallagher said:

whats dumb? maybe we stop people rping overly british. standing in the middle of los angeles in a Peaky Blinders cap and a trench coat saying "oi blimey" is fuckin dumb, but its a very subjective thing

What's your reasonable proposal then? I find it unreasonable to tell 1000's of players their character will be deleted whether you/I dislike it or not. It's getting to levels of micromanaging that I'm not really comfortable seeing if we have to tell people they're not allowed to RP realistic characters just because proportions are off (and if they're unrealistic its an easy RPQM report as is.)

I personally dislike the proportion a bit but it doesn't impact my character development because someone RPs having an accent nor should it. I RP a full born American that's a descendant of immigrants like most modern Americans, so its not like I'm even on their side here. The proper thing to do is get a notepad and draft a reasonable set of outlines that address the issue and put it in the suggestions area.

Edited by Odin
3 minutes ago, Odin said:

What's your reasonable proposal then? I find it unreasonable to tell 1000's of players their character will be deleted whether you/I dislike it or not. It's getting to levels of micromanaging that I'm not really comfortable seeing if we have to tell people they're not allowed to RP realistic characters just because proportions are off (and if they're unrealistic its an easy RPQM report as is.)

I personally dislike the proportions and I RP a full born American that's a descendant of immigrants like most modern Americans, so its not like I'm even on their side here. The proper thing to do is get a notepad and draft a reasonable set of outlines that address the issue and put it in the suggestions area.

I rp a mexican character born on american soil in a city where every part of town, aside from Davis, Rancho and Vespucci is dominated by some foreign language speaking individuals. While I personally find it strange, hearing english is least of my concerns.

Edited by Engelbert