why do people rp british and would the server be better if we banned it

Gallagher

unfortunately, i am british.

lets put the realism argument to one side for a second. this argument would be that because theres not many british people in Los Angeles, they shouldnt be allowed. its way too difficult to balance demographics in this way although i think maintaining the Los Angeles/SoCal culture is extremely beneficial for the server as they all compliment eachother, especially in the illegal factions. i can write more about this if necessary. 

now, i sit here and i struggle to think WHY anybody would roleplay british over an american. there are no parts of british culture that exist significantly in LA or LS. theres no Little London or chip shops in Rancho that people can roleplay around. instead, you just have a surprisingly large number of british characters bouncing around the clubs massively over-doing the language inflections and dialects to the point that it becomes immersion breaking for me (and probably a lot of other people).

this is how a conversation typically goes with a british character

Hey, man. What's up?

O'right mate how are ye doing lad av just got off work n now I'm here for a few pints with the lads.

What?

O'right mate how are ye doing lad av just got off work n now I'm here for a few pints with the lads.

Where are you from, man?

I'm from Engerland mate.

Oh, OK. Why'd you come to LS?

This is where they put in some shoddy excuse that makes little to no sense and truthfully, they probably don't fuckin care. it feels like most of these british characters are just self-inserts for people who are too lazy to learn something else which is precisiely why theres such a negative stigma surrounding these characters. if i interact with a british character im counting the seconds until it ends so i can go away and talk to somebody who feels like they belong in this Los Angeles microcosm which we are trying to create.

everyone on this server, good or bad, is doing their part in a group effort to create a story in which all of our characters play minor parts. the ecosystem of this server must be carefully nurtured and the administration team has made good decisions in order to preserve the realism of said storyline by doing things such as banning cartels, who were always poorly roleplayed on most roleplay servers. 

british characters are haphazardly dropped into this world, with no thought and no place in our storyline (if we want LS to feel like LA, which i think we do?) and offer no sort of cultural identity that other nationalities might, such as Armenian, Russian, Israeli, Polish, Serbian, Mexican and even Irish (i could go on forever) 

all they offer is mild irritation when youre forced to read their poorly constructed sentences

i am aware that good british characters probably exist, just like aliens probably exist, but when the average is so shit, are they worth it?

please write your thoughts and be friendly 🙂

Edited by Gallagher
  • Upvote 14
  • Applaud 6

I don't see a good way to solve the issue at hand. Banning people RPing anything other than pure American just won't happen and it'd require deletion of 1000's of characters on top of the backlash it would have from huge portions of the community playing these characters who don't want micromanagement. If someone acts dumb, RPQM them.

Edited by Odin