Nerf airport lease vehicles

Short description:

Reduce airport lease vehicle cargo capacity to 1 or 0 KG

Delete airport lease vehicles entirely after 2 or 3 days of ownership, or as suggested in the comments, 40 hours of play time.

Detailed description:

A while back, airport lease vehicles were introduced in order to deal with the rental vehicle problem. 

Rental vehicles were widely used to commit crimes, but were also notoriously unreliable and disappeared after relatively short amounts of time.

Don't get me wrong, airport leases are an improvement over the old rental car system, especially for newer players.

However, they are too effective at the moment. They provide a solid mode of transportation that players use well beyond their intended time frame. This is supposed to be a mode of transportation that gets you going on your first day, perhaps on your second day. Right now, they can be used as a primary vehicle for 'throwaway' characters. They can be used to store weapons in to avoid them being stolen from a property (by making use of the despawn timer and server reset).

Beyond this, they effectively ruined the existing taxi industry, and will keep any sort of public transport roleplay from being viable. 

Now, new characters still need transportation, and taxis aren't always a viable alternative, but something should be done to reduce the effectiveness of airport lease vehicles.

For example;

• Reduce the cargo capacity to 1 or 0 KG

This reduces their effectiveness somewhat, without making them entirely useless. 

• Remove them entirely after 2 or 3 days of ownership, or as suggested in the comments, 40 hours

This is obviously the most effective way to reduce their effectiveness, but has significantly more impact on players.

This is fairly realistic as well, but it requires the change above as well, to avoid players losing items.

To avoid them being removed mid-RP, remove them only during server restarts.

If their records could be kept, then recorded plates can still be kept for MDC (or similar) purposes.

Commands to add:

Items to add:

How would your suggestion improve the server?

Give airport lease vehicles a less prominent, and more realistic presence on the server.

Boost the taxi industry, which encourages interaction with other players.

Additional information:

Edited by mj2002
  • Upvote 4

I agree on the storage capacity, with a few additions:

• Limit use of said vehicle up to 40 hours of first play time of the character, past that, car is unuseable. Of course MDC records of the vehicle remain, vehicle is unusable by owner though past the 40 hours mark.
  • Script wise limit their performance, aka max speed.
  • Limit their storage capacity drastically to prevent this abuse of placing drugs/weapons in to despawn using the 3 hours timer or server restart.
  • Also do not allow to buy those vehicle without a plate period. I have encountered numerous people who drive those with out plates, causing trouble and drive away (those characters also have clothing & hair that screams troll), lets be honest lease vehicle will always have a plate.
  • Disable ability to /sv (/sellvehicle) for obvious reasons, it is a lease vehicle, the driver does not legally own it, he has no right to sell it.
Edited by Vash Baldeus
  • Upvote 3
26 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

• Script wise limit their performance, aka max speed.
  • Limit their storage capacity drastically to prevent this abuse of placing drugs/weapons in to despawn using the 3 hours timer or server restart.

I think these changes are impossible without breaking the non-leased vehicles, they share the same vehicle name/hash and nerfing one of them will nerf both of them, unless they make an addon of the same car and add it as a mod with a different name/hash.

As someone new to the server it has been a big help to have a rental but have quickly in 15 hours of game time managed to get my own car and roleplay into a business. I agree with the comments, they should be for brand new players to get them around in their first steps. My idea would be:

-Remove them as an option after 40 hours of gameplay, or increase their rental price to be more in line with the economy. 

I have done a few hours of taxi work now and while sitting at the airport it's almost impossible to get fairs as rentals are so much cheaper and affordable, a starter vehicle is a nice boost to the player and gives them more freedom and access but I think it should be limited to starting your journey.

2 hours ago, Jennie said:

I think these changes are impossible without breaking the non-leased vehicles, they share the same vehicle name/hash and nerfing one of them will nerf both of them, unless they make an addon of the same car and add it as a mod with a different name/hash.

It's easy to identify if it's leased based on their /vstats price which is $450 while their counterparts are not, so should not be that hard to differentiate them.