[LS Tribune] ULSA launches TogetherULSA initiative to address student concerns regarding on campus hate

books

CUcjRXa.png

LATEST | POLITICS

ULSA launches TogetherULSA initiative to address student concerns regarding on campus hate

Two months on from the college's panel hearings, we speak to ULSA student Claire Skye and Chancellor Nora Patterson about the TogetherULSA initiative and progress the college has made

L0tnyum.png

By PHOEBE HOLTER

LOS SANTOS - “I don't dare linger in ULSA”, student Claire Skye told a panel of students, staff and state government representatives at the second of two student safety panel meetings held at the college in July. “Homophobia and transphobia are both deeply integrated into the student community.”

The two panels were hosted after numerous concerns were raised by students of the Richman situated college that not enough was being done to combat hate on campus. Such criticisms have been in the public eye for some time now, with notable examples including a student calling into a LSNN phone-in with State Senator Valeria Reyes (D).

“At this 'progressive' university, I face discrimination based on my race, on my gender, I face ableism and I hear folks telling me to 'get back to the kitchen'. We have a faculty that often prefers to ignore it and say there's no evidence.” - Student calling into LSNN phone-in

But with Chancellor Nora Patterson and Interim Vice Chancellor of Strategic Communications Meredith Lange spearheading TogetherULSA — an initiative encompassing the “values of community, diversity, inclusion, and kindness” in the words of Chancellor Patterson ⁠— signals are there that students voices are being heard at the highest levels at the college. 

mUi96Fn.png

LGBTQ+ panel held at the ULSA campus

“We figured it'd be nice to expose our student population to more diverse customs, and cultures,” Chancellor Patterson explained while talking about the initiative. “We are still in the midst of planning, we are aiming for mid to late September.”

According to details shared by Chancellor Patterson, the initiative comes as a direct response to the feedback received at the two panels held in July and will include such events as “a world foods day, volunteering and guest lectures”. Some activities have already started, such as a film review series which Chancellor Patterson explained was aimed at getting students to consider the “cultural, religious, and social connotations that films such as [those featured for review] have”. 

“We hope to make every student feel welcome here, and it would do us a disservice if we allowed these issues to continue, or at least not respond to the criticisms we've received.” - Chancellor Nora Patterson

For students like Claire Skye, some concerns are still present. “It's an admirable effort to bring unity to the school, but the reasons of its making seem to have gone forgotten,” they shared, speaking a little about their thoughts on the initiative. “But the reasons of its making seem to have gone forgotten and it's not just LGBTQ+ students, so many different varieties of people risk being ostracized.“ 

9VrnUSx.png

Claire Skye, sourced from Facebrowser

“Dean Meredith Lange, is a genuinely kind person who actually wants to help. Her class may be about performing but her intentions aren't performative. But at the same time, I am skeptical that change can really happen.” - Claire Skye, ULSA student and speaker at a panel hearing

Claire shared that they had noticed staff were more aware of inclusivity issues since the panels had been held, commenting: “I think a good amount has been discovered by unknowing members of the staff since then”. However,  they still felt that “not enough (to my knowledge) is being done to enforce student mental health safety”.

“I'm at the current standpoint of being relatively untargeted by the fraternities, so that's a bit more of personal safety,” Claire went on to share, reflecting on their thoughts on their own feelings of safety on campus. “Sadly the same cannot be said for everyone."

Fraternities at the university have faced controversy in the past on campus. During the second panel hearing, the then leader of the Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity was involved in a brief verbal disagreement with Head of Security, Grayson O’Mara about an allegedly transphobic incident that occurred involving the fraternity.  

jfLlMsZ.png

ULSA inclusivity messaging

They also expressed some skepticism at the effectiveness of the measures being taken, commenting that perhaps when more details about the initiative are shared their opinion may change: “this is just at a surface level of what I've seen thus far which is just school spirit and guest lectures, more could be planned”.

“ I trust Dr. Lange with this project, however. In the end, she's not doing this to settle rebellion, she genuinely wants to trying to help. TogetherULSA is most certainly better than nothing. A few more people knowing our struggles is better than nothing. I may be cynical, but I do want to see the positives here. I wish Dr. Lange and TogetherULSA luck, they will certainly need it. I look forward to seeing if any true change is made.” - Claire Skye, ULSA student and speaker at a panel hearing

Addressing and challenging on campus hate is not a problem unique to Los Santos. Across America, colleges have been scrambling to respond to student movements, especially in the wake of the Black Lives Matter movement. 

The full itinerary of dates and activities has yet to be finalized but as the start of activities nears, many students will look forward to the festivities on offer. For students like Claire though, many will also have their eyes kept firmly on the outcomes of the initiative and future measures taken to alleviate the concerns being raised.

aj4U0lb.png

12LHO78.png

(( /banktransfer amount Phoebe Holter LST Donation ))

What are your thoughts on the town hall at the Blue Lion, comments made against Democratic senators or the sex legalization bill failing to pass? Share them below.

Comments are enabled on this article

Username: 

Comment:

Edited by books
  • Applaud 1
  • books changed the title to [LS Tribune] ULSA launches TogetherULSA initiative to address student concerns regarding on campus hate

Username: Bundlez85

Comment: Banning Freedom of Speech is a double-edge sword! How are these Commies going to claim "equality" and then ban Freedom of Religion and Expression? One-sidedness to the battymon movement while ignoring all of the religions that should be able to preach and express themselves on this campus! Battygyal and battymon lifestyle is is hateful to all of these religions, but we're going to permit it? I want MY children raised in a world where they can learn all sides on a matter then to be forced-fed homosexual shit down their throats! How can you expect youths to grow if they cannot even back up their own claims? A free and open civil society should be able to discuss all ideas, freely, instead of INDOCTRINATING them with bullocks! This is where education's going? Shame on all of you.

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, knppel said:

Username: TheRealCarrySaunders

Comment: We urgently need a gender debate in LS. The english language is no prostitute you can simply murder!

Username: brokenoreo32

Comment: i agree. we can start by teaching you to capitalize the word english.

Edited by honeyburger
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, honeyburger said:

Username: brokenoreo32

Comment: i agree. we can start by teaching you to capitalize the word english.

Username: TheFakeCarrySaunders

Comment: And we can finish by teaching you to capitalize the first letter of every sentence, along with the word 'English'.

Username: NoNameBob

Comment: Maybe if y'all stopped being confused about your gender you would figure out what the fuck you want in life and get some real education and things done, y'all just a soap opera parade, that student is so fake, faker than a Made in China tag, attention seeking whores none cares if you are gay keep it for yourself.