Economy Update: Option to Disable/Toggle Unemployment Checks

Short description: Allow players to disable/toggle unemployment checks on their characters

Detailed description: With the new economy update expected sometime next week, all currency - both cash on hand and cash stored in your bank account - will now be traceable, this means ALL cash in your characters' possession is now IC.

For a majority of players on the server this won't be a problem and I'm expecting to see the "just /charity" argument brought up once again but with ALL currency now being IC, if you're ever investigated regarding your character's income and are caught withdrawing cash and /charity-ing it away, this'll be taken IC as your characters' own actions and in the worst case scenario would be considered powergaming.

To save both low income characters and investigators the headache of having to clarify if money is OOC or not when it's obvious the new system is entirely IC, allow players to toggle the checks they receive for not having a script-job (aka unemployment checks).

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? Eliminates confusion and gives players the option to authentically play a low income/homeless character without clashing with the upcoming economy update. 

Additional information: N/A

21 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I think it's completely on the investigators to establish whether the money is OOC or not. There's no point in disabling paychecks. Most people who roleplay poor, will do it either way while still keeping that 200k in their bank.

The problem with this is It's now IC.

Players with cash they really shouldn't have as the character they play are going to be heavily scrutinized IC if they're caught and/or investigated. Like I briefly mentioned in my initial post, you're technically powergaming if you claim the items you have in your possession aren't actually in your possession - before the economy update this would be fine but all money will now be considered IC and money in your bank tracked, it's no longer OOC.

If you stickup a character who's carrying cash for something you could consider OOC, say mapping or /surgery, the victim would be PG'ing if they refused to play their part and hand over the cash. This isn't much different.

I want to also quickly clarify just in case it was missed; toggling unemployment checks would be an OPTION, this isn't forced on players.

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST

Personally, if I needed to roleplay a poor character and the automatic paycheck system did not allow me to, I'd just ask for an administrator to simply delete the money. I don't think there's a need to add a command and makes things more complicated because people could just keep switching it on and off to nodify their income flow.

10 minutes ago, Nervous said:

You can just /charity the money

Isn't this logged and considered IC once the economy update is in effect? If a homeless man gets caught up in illegal activity involving money laundering and an investigation is conducted, the thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of charity money withdrawn from the bank would be seen by investigators and would obviously be brought up, even if RP'ly the money wouldn't exist. 

Confusing for everybody involved which could easily be avoided if the option to opt out of checks was implemented. 

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST
1 hour ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Isn't this logged and considered IC once the economy update is in effect? If a homeless man gets caught up in illegal activity involving money laundering and an investigation is conducted, the thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of charity money withdrawn from the bank would be seen by investigators and would obviously be brought up, even if RP'ly the money wouldn't exist. 

Confusing for everybody involved which could easily be avoided if the option to opt out of checks was implemented. 

/charity will remain an OOC way to give up money

3 hours ago, Stanty said:

Are players who RP poor but have money left over from previous characters (name changes) will be forced to /charity their money?

You can always make an asset transfer request before you start the poor roleplay character's story.

• Wuhtah locked this topic