Actual keys for vehicles

Keefen

Short description:

Make keys (vehicle keys in this matter, other keys can be suggested but that's not what I'm suggesting here) an actual item in your inventory.

Detailed description:

I was thinking something along the lines of making vehicle keys actual items in your inventory that are required to start a vehicle that isn't your's. 

You would have access to the key until you lose it drop it or otherwise get rid of it.

Perhaps the keys could somehow be linked to the vehicle ID

It would be neat to have it work in a way similar to pressing L and your vehicle unlocks, instead in this case it would be:

K to start a vehicle that isn't your's, provided you have the respective key in your inventory.

Commands to add:

Similar to L to lock and unlock however,

K to start/kill the engine with the key item in a vehicle that isn't your's already.

Potentially?:

/givekey [targ] [?amount?] , If this suggestion ends up serving as a replacement for vdup.

Items to add:

Vehicle Key (Vapid Scrap Truck #????)

Or however it would be listed

How would your suggestion improve the server?

I believe it would improve the quality of life as far as loaning vehicles, or giving an employee a key for a company vehicle when you arent scripted etc, for longer than you intend to be in game to assist should anything go wrong and they lose access to the vehicle, with how it currently is.

You can take your key that is naturally stuck to your character to a certain location (s), and have the key duplicated, into an actual item that functions as mentioned above.

This could potentially get rid of /vdup all together as this would serve it's purpose and then some.

Additional information:

I don't know about taking it this far, but some sort of locksmith job could be tied into it, whether it be set up like a 24/7 or actual players that need to be online to duplicate your key.

Also, it would be cool for LEOs to potentially come across those that are in possession of stolen vehicle key(s), leading to further investigation etc

Edited by Keefen

How would your suggestion degrade the server?

Typical "Ayo runs your pockets" using his gun to rob your vehicle and laugh at you for hours while you are unable to recover the vehicle, since the PD can not do anything with the high crime that is currently on the server.

Not supporting, sorry, but it is what it is.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Dakimakura said:

How would your suggestion degrade the server?

Typical "Ayo runs your pockets" using his gun to rob your vehicle and laugh at you for hours while you are unable to recover the vehicle, since the PD can not do anything with the high crime that is currently on the server.

Not supporting, sorry, but it is what it is.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think getting your car stolen is an IC issue.

Plus. If somebody wants to rob you when you are in or next to your car, they will RP taking your keys and you have to oblige and /vdup anyways. So how is this different?

18 minutes ago, Stanty said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I think getting your car stolen is an IC issue.

Plus. If somebody wants to rob you when you are in or next to your car, they will RP taking your keys and you have to oblige and /vdup anyways. So how is this different?

The difference is that using /vdup you can recover your vehicle, giving the keys, not, as it will keep those keys even if the server is restarted, and it will make the robbers' meta be just to rob the keys, in addition, it makes the use of anti-theft totally useless since they could fire up the engine at the moment.

2 hours ago, Dakimakura said:

The difference is that using /vdup you can recover your vehicle, giving the keys, not, as it will keep those keys even if the server is restarted, and it will make the robbers' meta be just to rob the keys, in addition, it makes the use of anti-theft totally useless since they could fire up the engine at the moment.

Vdup doesn't work for very long afaik. I've vduped to a friend and in an hour or so they can't get back in the car.