Thoughts on the Senate?

Anders

20 hours ago, averycoolguy said:

If Los Angeles had our homicide rate money wouldn't be an issue.

I think what @friendlyman is trying to say is money isn't an issue. While there's been some Senator RP around law enforcement budgets, it's basically fluff. Things like payroll and overtime is infinite for PD. Something which is a major handicap in IRL departments.

21 hours ago, averycoolguy said:

Server Admins need to stop coddling the Illegal RP community. Thousands of homicides a year is what our LS has. The Senate should crack the fuck down on crime, giving LEOs more leeway to stop, frisk and search cars and houses and making it easier for people to gain legal weapons to defend themselves with. This is what would realistically happen in this deathtrap we call home. If the Senate can't do that, then it's useless.

LEO's did have easier restrictions on the searching of houses and vehicles, they lost it because it was frankly being abused to an unrealistic degree. Regardless there's not a ton they can do without breaking from realism. It's 2021 not 1961, there's no sweeping crime bill that's going to suddenly make it so crimes barrable on the server. This is a video game, violent crime will always be unrealistically high.

Now what they could do is pass legislation which puts serious teeth into our RICO laws and propose heavy penalties for people convicted of arms trafficking. The vast majority of guns enter the server through one of like five gun suppliers, if PD really put the time and effort into doing RICO investigations right, which I'll admit is a TON. They could shut these factions down and seriously disrupt the flow of weapons on to the streets. This is something the senate could pass to actually address gun crimes in San Andreas. Frankly, something that none of your other suggestions really do. Make it easier for people to obtain legal weapons might seem like the right choice, but all it'll really do is turn every robbery into a gunfight. The majority of the people who will be applying won't do it because of any IC reason, they'll do it because they are OOCly tired of taking L's and now they don't have to go down without a fight. 

If we're complaining that the server has devolved into anarchy, how the fuck is that a solution?

The other big issue is, while we might see 50 threads a week regarding this issue on the forums a week. Are people contacting their senators to complain about it? Absolutely not. Let's face the cold hard truth about politicians, they don't do shit unless their voters complain. Because voters complaining threatens re-election. If people really want to see the Senate address IC issues, start throwing a stink about these issues IG instead of on the forums. Organize anti-violence rallies! My city is facing a pretty serious gun violence epidemic right now and practically 35 times a month now there is some kind of community lead protest for peace, calling out both the community and their politicians to do something. Why the hell aren't we seeing this IG? 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Trupiano said:

I think what @friendlyman is trying to say is money isn't an issue. While there's been some Senator RP around law enforcement budgets, it's basically fluff. Things like payroll and overtime is infinite for PD. Something which is a major handicap in IRL departments.

LEO's did have easier restrictions on the searching of houses and vehicles, they lost it because it was frankly being abused to an unrealistic degree. Regardless there's not a ton they can do without breaking from realism. It's 2021 not 1961, there's no sweeping crime bill that's going to suddenly make it so crimes barrable on the server. This is a video game, violent crime will always be unrealistically high.

Now what they could do is pass legislation which puts serious teeth into our RICO laws and propose heavy penalties for people convicted of arms trafficking. The vast majority of guns enter the server through one of like five gun suppliers, if PD really put the time and effort into doing RICO investigations right, which I'll admit is a TON. They could shut these factions down and seriously disrupt the flow of weapons on to the streets. This is something the senate could pass to actually address gun crimes in San Andreas. Frankly, something that none of your other suggestions really do. Make it easier for people to obtain legal weapons might seem like the right choice, but all it'll really do is turn every robbery into a gunfight. The majority of the people who will be applying won't do it because of any IC reason, they'll do it because they are OOCly tired of taking L's and now they don't have to go down without a fight. 

If we're complaining that the server has devolved into anarchy, how the fuck is that a solution?

The other big issue is, while we might see 50 threads a week regarding this issue on the forums a week. Are people contacting their senators to complain about it? Absolutely not. Let's face the cold hard truth about politicians, they don't do shit unless their voters complain. Because voters complaining threatens re-election. If people really want to see the Senate address IC issues, start throwing a stink about these issues IG instead of on the forums. Organize anti-violence rallies! My city is facing a pretty serious gun violence epidemic right now and practically 35 times a month now there is some kind of community lead protest for peace, calling out both the community and their politicians to do something. Why the hell aren't we seeing this IG? 

These are valid ideas. I believe the Senate did do RICO or tried to and got shut down by LFM (i may be wrong). There is a lot we can do to address the gun problem but how can we do that /without/ making it more annoying to the PD and illegal rpers? Paperwork and all that stuff.

How can we propose legislation without worrying about some guy on a bike coming up doing a hit on you PKing you because the bill you make /threatens/ their livelihood? 

You say it is IC and it is but also considering just how much overworked PD/SD/PR are with criminals, it makes it rather.. unenjoyable to propose controversial bills that affects the server on that size and as said before, there is a lot of OOC interference.

The last point is solid. Contact us senators. Our numbers and email and offices are all public. Email us, call us. Voice your concerns. Make your voice heard. Do rallys, do protests. There's a billion things you can do. It's hard to get a feel for something without us having to go to every single person and ask them what they feel about it or what we personally experience.

2 minutes ago, Anders said:

How can we propose legislation without worrying about some guy on a bike coming up doing a hit on you PKing you because the bill you make /threatens/ their livelihood?

While this is a possibility, it's something I doubt would ever be allowed by IFM or LFM. Killing a state senator is about the dumbest thing you can do as a criminal and even if it was a PK, horrible portrayal.

5 minutes ago, Anders said:

You say it is IC and it is but also considering just how much overworked PD/SD/PR are with criminals, it makes it rather.. unenjoyable to propose controversial bills that affects the server on that size and as said before, there is a lot of OOC interference.

This is totally understandable, my faction was the target of a RICO investigation recently and a LOT of the detectives work got voided in the end. There were tactics used I disagreed with, but nothing got voided because DB broke rules. We all felt really bad for the detectives working our case in the end because ultimately for all the work they put in a good chunk got voided and the arrests that did stick, well the people convicted were out by the time the court cases finished. That's why I think the fix is targeting arms trafficking specifically and pumping up the time in jail penalty. it's something that can be accomplished IC, doesn't broadly punish all criminal RPers and will give DB a real incentive to pursue these cases. All while actually effecting the gun trade on the server. 

3 hours ago, Trupiano said:

Been saying this for almost a year. I'd heavily enjoy witnessing civilians protest and strike over these sort of issues.

• Wuhtah locked this topic