Roleplaying Fire Department response times

hamin

I temporarily locked this topic as I was PMed by various individuals about it. I took the time to read through many of the responses. I see a lot of unwarranted flack thrown against the faction this topic directly disputes, which is heavily discouraging. There will be no more faction bashing on this thread. I respect people’s right to academically discuss their thoughts on this forum, so I will be unlocking this thread on that condition. 

My own points are the following;

For anyone complaining that any particular faction member is demotivated or burned out, I would argue that it is due to the fact that so much crime occurs in this server. So many shootings and murders to the point where it can just be back to back to back nights on end. Do you really expect people to enjoy treating GSWs left and right? I sure didn’t when I was in PD. I think that shooting calls probably rank #1 in this server, though I wouldn’t have the statistics to factually back that up. It’s why people don’t want to attend these calls. Many experienced faction roleplayers would rather deal with IC domestic violence, noise violations, general disturbance calls, anything where it is passive roleplay. You might say ‘well this is what you signed up for’ but the truth is, it isn’t. You signed up to be a part of engaging roleplay, not the same repetitive GSW treatment. And yes, I’ll be the one to say that it does fall on the staff team’s shoulders to try and figure out why such repetitiveness exists and try to formulate measures to ensure a serious balance.

With that being said, take it as a conclusion to any previous remarks which deviated from the original concept. Feel free to continue discussing the pros and cons of this topic; do not attack or flame any member or faction of this community. The day will come where you try to put forth your best effort in this community and you’ll end up being ridiculed, and you’ll understand how demotivating it is to be on the receiving end of such.

• Zani unlocked this topic
6 hours ago, Moreno said:

When we respond, I can tell you that, people try to figure out what's going on, I am not an EMT IRL, but what pisses me off, is that even though you write a long /do and /me, what will about to come and people just /do Pulse zero. DEAD. Do you think it is fun to write long /do's and /me's at every single scene, trying to add or take to make it more enjoyable? Because PHMC will ask for deep details, if I cannot provide them it's my fault, if the victim does say something weird, it is also my fault, because that vital cannot fit the narrative.

You can try to just not make extremely long lines instead. They're mostly unnecessary. You can obtain vitals without asking for exact values of every single thing and then expecting a patient to know exactly what you mean. You could always just ask if the values are normal, and if not, then what would be different about them. Should someone ask for an exact number from you for some reason, then you have the knowledge to make one up and that would be completely fine.

Not to mention that most patients might not even need vitals taken: an alert patient who has a single complaint and that is a stabilized gunshot wound, doesn't need to be held on the street for 15 more minutes to collect their oxygen saturation out of all things. If you get pissed medical staff over you preferring to rush someone bleeding into the hospital instead of getting an oximeter on them, take it in-character.

Interacting with the faction loses a lot of appeal when it can appear that it's a show of being left in a cloud of fancy terms and words which they get diminished for not understanding, as unsurprisingly, most people don't care about those things and they usually get their characters involved in medical situations unwillingly. This means that most people don't even really want to have to go through this kind of roleplay, and they would rather get out of it as soon as they can. Whether it's boring for them or they think the level of detail that some medical responders take it to (e.g. chest decompressions in the middle of the road) is gross/disgusting or too much, depends on each person.

I can absolutely understand the negative perspective that people form when someone would go up to them and start talking about a sphygmomanometer and they get asked about their systolic and diastolic values. Then they're queried on their SpO2 values. From an out-of-character perspective, a medical scene isn't supposed to be an ultimate show of who knows more terms than the other person.

It's supposed to be a well-orchestrated interaction between a handler and a patient where they work on establishing what the patient's condition is and how the patient deals with the approach taken by the handler. Convoluted and intricate words and terms do not need to find themselves in the preliminary, menial interactions between a first responder and a victim. That is unless the victim does wish to go into this amount of detail: in that case, they can of course always have at it.

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

It's only going to get worse. As nice as it would be for things to stabilize... it's only going to get worse.

Today, I had a car crash a biker, biker's severely injured, 3~4 calls and about 30 minutes after the person was self-transported by his friends to the hospital a unit with 1 person shows up. So yes, it will be way way way worse with larger player counts at peak. There is just not enough people to man FD, there is way more SD and PD for obvious reasons I won't mention here.

4 hours ago, Zani said:

For anyone complaining that any particular faction member is demotivated or burned out, I would argue that it is due to the fact that so much crime occurs in this server. So many shootings and murders to the point where it can just be back to back to back nights on end. Do you really expect people to enjoy treating GSWs left and right? I sure didn’t when I was in PD. I think that shooting calls probably rank #1 in this server, though I wouldn’t have the statistics to factually back that up. It’s why people don’t want to attend these calls. Many experienced faction roleplayers would rather deal with IC domestic violence, noise violations, general disturbance calls, anything where it is passive roleplay. You might say ‘well this is what you signed up for’ but the truth is, it isn’t. You signed up to be a part of engaging roleplay, not the same repetitive GSW treatment. And yes, I’ll be the one to say that it does fall on the staff team’s shoulders to try and figure out why such repetitiveness exists and try to formulate measures to ensure a serious balance.

With that being said, take it as a conclusion to any previous remarks which deviated from the original concept. Feel free to continue discussing the pros and cons of this topic; do not attack or flame any member or faction of this community. The day will come where you try to put forth your best effort in this community and you’ll end up being ridiculed, and you’ll understand how demotivating it is to be on the receiving end of such.

Say what you will, today, had an MVA outside my business, 3 calls, no one shows up, I even witnessed a cop with no lights or siren on just drive past the scene without stopping. Almost 30 minutes after the guy was moved to the hospital in a civilian vehicle, a unit of EMS showed up. I wont directly bash any specific faction (PD/SD/FD) but from what I heard from other people who were members of Legal Factions, the same thing that happened on other communities I was at takes place here, where people just leave those factions due to behavior of other members. People are denied promotions based on "It won't look good" after they were in the faction for literal IRL months. Of course no one would like to continue being burnt out on a faction for months if not years and not see progress for their character would they?

Regarding the amount of shootings, as you said staff needs to figure out a way to somehow discourage people shooting first then asking questions, that's not how proper escalation works. But the formation of cliques within those factions of people becoming friends and playing favorites is one main reason I never really attempted joining any of those, because you invest time into a character, into it's development within the faction and then be denied progress based on someone playing favorites. With all honesty, this type of attitude should be taken a look at by the staff and treated as well, because such behavior caused a few people I know leave those factions mainly due to burn out along with higher ups playing favorites both issues created a toxic environment and caused them to leave.

So, I'd say, before people blame the shootings, how about checking what happens in your own house (faction) and actually cleaning up the mess there as well.

P.S.

Anything I mentioned, I will not disclose the people who told me these type of things and their cause of leaving. Do not want people harassed over something I quoted them anonymously which is what I prefer to leave it at.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
12 hours ago, Zani said:

there you go.

resolve the overbearing problem of deathmatching and the fact that the norm on the server is to shoot first, and stuff'll come together.

12 hours ago, Vash Baldeus said:

But the formation of cliques within those factions of people becoming friends and playing favorites is one main reason I never really attempted joining any of those, because you invest time into a character, into it's development within the faction and then be denied progress based on someone playing favorites

Slightly off topic but you can definitely progress in factions without being a part of a clique. It might be hard, but it's definitely do-able. I managed to get Lieutenant in PD in the height of its nepotistic(?) leadership, and if I can do it, anyone can.

Edited by Westen
16 hours ago, mana said:

Interacting with the faction loses a lot of appeal when it can appear that it's a show of being left in a cloud of fancy terms and words which they get diminished for not understanding, as unsurprisingly, most people don't care about those things and they usually get their characters involved in medical situations unwillingly. This means that most people don't even really want to have to go through this kind of roleplay, and they would rather get out of it as soon as they can. Whether it's boring for them or they think the level of detail that some medical responders take it to (e.g. chest decompressions in the middle of the road) is gross/disgusting or too much, depends on each person.

I can absolutely understand the negative perspective that people form when someone would go up to them and start talking about a sphygmomanometer and they get asked about their systolic and diastolic values. Then they're queried on their SpO2 values. From an out-of-character perspective, a medical scene isn't supposed to be an ultimate show of who knows more terms than the other person.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you. 

Mainly , I find the first  point disturbing, because I feel like this is saying "I can do whatever I want to do in the name of fun, and if it's boring, who cares". Honestly, if people find shooting each other, literally aiming to kill each other completely fine, but they find chest decompressions disgusting is just hypocracy. Killing another person does not effect you or your character, but seeing that fighting for a life is disgusting? 

Then again, what you brought up as an example is highly overstreched, I can name only one or two EMTs who do that, but not many. Most of us trying to feed the information with basic ideas, players just have to insert what they find correct value. (side note, I think we should call out that a healthy person, won't lose all pulse suddenly from a papercut to the finger). As long as we call this is a heavy RP server and not cops and robbers every situation has an outcome and will have consequences.

Last but not least, we all know that FD is unfortunately a One-Dimensional faction, but I don't think it is a negative perspective that they are trying to create something out of their one dimension.

11 hours ago, AlphaBatal said:

there you go.

resolve the overbearing problem of deathmatching and the fact that the norm on the server is to shoot first, and stuff'll come together.

CKs with partial asset loss for so much death. 

no one will go for it no matter what though. 

2 hours ago, Moreno said:

Then again, what you brought up as an example is highly overstreched, I can name only one or two EMTs who do that, but not many. Most of us trying to feed the information with basic ideas, players just have to insert what they find correct value. (side note, I think we should call out that a healthy person, won't lose all pulse suddenly from a papercut to the finger). As long as we call this is a heavy RP server and not cops and robbers every situation has an outcome and will have consequences.

Your thing; I personally hardly encounter those kind of issues based on the fact that I keep medical roleplay concise and more focused around the interaction with a patient on both an in-character and out-of-character level, while setting a lower focus on solemnly and continuously tracking vitals up to a decimal accuracy, especially when they're not essential to the conclusion of a situation. I probably don't have as many issues based on the fact that I tend to be a fast typer, so the routine of some procedures isn't all too exhausting for me as it may be for others. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic