Roleplaying Fire Department response times

hamin

I dunno if I've replied to this thread already, but i'm doing it again, cause, FD stronk, so here's my experience.

I've read through Keane's response, and a few others, and many of them seem fair, although slightly skewed.
Attempts to involve a patient through IC means, either immediately fall on the ass because: They're unconscious, or otherwise unable to talk, upset OOC, inexperienced with MedRP ooc, or another plethora of issues, such as y'know, not being able to involve a guy you're currently solo treating who has 6 gunshots at various points in his body.

I'm still a bit shocked that we don't have a draft or some form of plan to draft a basic MedRP guide, but I might go ahead and use my tiny bit of experience to write a very simple one for very simple injuries, as well as vitals and other types of trauma, just because I really think that many players are overloaded on 'technical jargon' and don't mean to be malicious.

I do agree that we could do with a bit more community interaction, because, just talking to patients and people on scene is still my favorite part of the job. It's social interaction that I have a reason to be doing, which helps my smooth anxiety-ridden brain, but, that's all being talked about internally, and kinda not the point of the thread, but, it's been a subject in many of the responses, so.

On the topic of response times. From the POV of a civilian calling for us 5 times and getting no response, it fucking sucks. And it sucks on our side too, because it means that you are likely the fifth or sixth pending call in a list of departmentals and 911's. The frustration is understandable, but, MedRP takes time, (and this ties in a bit to "make it understandable"), although it is 90% of rping to yourself, it's a big thing to be pretty good and descriptive in your /me's. It make be easier for the PT to understand "bandages the wound, thus stopping the bleeding.", or, "Puts a needle into the patients chest, fixing their lung.", (and maybe it being that simplified isn't the point), but, it also kinda takes away the one thing that we strive to stand out in. We want to arrive and give a descriptive experience, and it might be nullified by that description, but I still think many would prefer that to "simplified terms". But I've not read too much of this discussion, so maybe It's already been discussed.

I saw a post a few pages back speaking about "asking for normal vitals instead of a bunch of numbers", and it ties back into the same simplification. "Normal" vitals doesn't tell us much. We often give normal ranges in our /me's and /do's, and still only get a "/do 80" back. While we acknowledge that some people may simply not understand that, others have to acknowledge that we're rocking up to people who just got downed in a video game, and they're probably not too happy, but we still have to make the same effort to RP with them as we would anyone else, irregardless of receiving that courtesy back, and once they show that they're not putting effort in, it's a bit too late to start pulling out the one liners. I think this is another issue that a MedRP guidelines or small handbook could solve. And I still standby the fact that I'm amazed one hasn't been implemented in a server with not only high roleplay quality expectations, but normally pretty decently mid to high tier roleplay. But I guess be the change you want to see.

And, finally, we're all human. Sometimes we get tired of calls and wanna talk to our friends in a station after doing anywhere from a couple to a dozen calls in a row, constantly, with the same level of detail and inference throughout, as we don't want to miss someone RPing something, or dismiss it as "okay they're fine because the previous three callers were slightly less experienced in medicalrp and didn't rp any subtle hints to problems." Another issue is definitely staffing, as previously said, at peak we most often run 2-3 RA's, and have some percentage of those RA's pull off if a AOD, USAR, HARRO, Diving, or Engine call comes in. It can result in units being tied up for hours. (An issue that NPC ambulances seem to be fixing, although we're aware that some people do prefer RPing with players.) We can't do too much about it, as, honestly, it's understandable how the novelty wears off. There comes a time where you've done basically everything. Sometimes a nice fella will come along and do RP specifically for us, but, it's very rare in comparison to other factions where they have dynamic situations, danger, and action. So players naturally take breaks sometimes.

Long btw ^

TL;DR, Staffing is an issue, sometimes players simply don't want to RP with us, changes should be felts soon, at least by my shitty firefighter I predictions, and we always encourage people to DM us on scene if they have trouble understanding us, or would like advice as to their injuries, portrayal, or just wanna ask a question. We're not elite RPQM gods, but, most of us can offer some form of a "Hey yeah, you'd probably have (____)."

(Mandatory I use "we" a lot in that text block because I feel many of my opinions are shared, but, that doesn't mean that they are. Don't read into it too deep, people are different.)

On 8/27/2021 at 5:02 AM, Brett Love said:

this has literally nothing to do with the topic at hand.

It actually has more to do with the topic, than you may realize. People ALWAYS FORGET about numbers. LA gets couple of murders every hour maybe yes, but there are millions of people = more staff to cover entire city. You can't have injuries, fires and whatever here every other minute cause we have barely 800+ players, which means least 45% of calls are being dismissed. And this would've gotten better, if people stopped being idiots and started roleplaying properly.

Edited by Engelbert
3 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

Not even a little? What's the average daily number of GSW emergency calls now, compared to before the rule change?

It depends on the day. Some days it's upwards of literally 30 GSW calls, some days it's as tame as 10. I've not realized a noticeable decrease in the calls, but, with NPC ambulances being allowed, I've gone to far less, as units are often tied up on other scenes when they come in.

1 hour ago, Kari said:

It depends on the day. Some days it's upwards of literally 30 GSW calls, some days it's as tame as 10. I've not realized a noticeable decrease in the calls, but, with NPC ambulances being allowed, I've gone to far less, as units are often tied up on other scenes when they come in.

Who should I pester about getting a daily average over a long period of time? It would be interesting to see how the calls trend over time, how many can be answered, and how many are NPCd.

17 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Who should I pester about getting a daily average over a long period of time? It would be interesting to see how the calls trend over time, how many can be answered, and how many are NPCd.

These statistics aren’t recorded. Even the 911 CAD system isn’t accurate because there are departmental requests that add to calls, and those are the ones usually NPC’D.

So there is no way to know statistically. 

20 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

We'd have to manually track it, so, I guess you'd have to ask members if they'd be willing to do that.

A rough average of calls FD receive per day is around 50-60+ including departmental's, these can vary, though that's usually around the amount of calls the department receives on a daily basis. The issue at hand is as pointed out, staffing, we simply rarely have enough personnel on duty to respond to all calls, and thus, we strive for quality over quantity. We don't want to start sending solo ambulances to ten different GSW calls and instead would rather provide a single or a couple of scenes at a time a fun and more realistic FD experience, so if you don't get a response from FD don't feel bad, its not because we don't want to, its because we can't. 

A recent change has come in now that instead of telling LEO's to self-transport due to no units, we roleplay that a unit is on the way and then PM the LEO that they will have to NPC our arrival and such, which is usually done as a fade-to-black scenario. This makes much more sense for LEO roleplayers and is a better way to do this than telling them to self-transport far too often.

• Wuhtah locked this topic