Roleplaying Fire Department response times

hamin

Biscuit and co, you are all correct. My post about allowing privatized EMS is a valid suggestion, it just simply is based on the problem presented in OP’s original post.

Whether or not this conflicts with LSFD’s recruitment or not is really not anyone’s problem but the LSFD.

The LSFD does an amazing job, that isn’t even up for debate. I am saying they have limited resources and like many have said before, with the ridiculous violent crime rate, they can’t handle it all.

Allowing privatized EMS is a pretty non-debatable suggestion. It’s the solution used in the U.S. which this server is based on.

I do have one question, how many personnel are required minimum to operate one ambulance?

56 minutes ago, Florida said:

I do have one question, how many personnel are required minimum to operate one ambulance?

1 -- it happens when there's nobody else to partner with you (due to other assignments or such), you are required to partner up if you can, which I'd imagine the same standard would be applied to the EMS, otherwise you'd need an even number to be online for the faction to even function properly.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Biscuit said:

1 -- it happens when there's nobody else to partner with you (due to other assignments or such), you are required to partner up if you can, which I'd imagine the same standard would be applied to the EMS, otherwise you'd need an even number to be online for the faction to even function properly.

Actually it's two people minimum. Operating an ambulance without two EMT/Paramedic certified individuals is against federal, state, and usually, county regulations.

On this server it's usually acceptable to have a single person. But you shouldn't, it hurts you and your roleplay, also the fact you can't lift a patient on your own, so if someone can't walk, you're fucked. You also don't need an even number of faction members, because you can stick three people in one truck.

Edited by KinnyWynny
6 hours ago, Florida said:

Ambulances in the United States must be staffed with a minimum of 2 personnel. The level of crew certification varies depending on the jurisdiction the ambulance is operating in. In most areas, the bare minimum is an EMT to provide patient care and an EMR to assist and drive the unit.

Edited by KinnyWynny
24 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

Actually it's two people minimum. Operating an ambulance without two EMT/Paramedic certified individuals is against federal, state, and usually, county regulations.

On this server it's usually acceptable to have a single person. But you shouldn't, it hurts you and your roleplay, also the fact you can't lift a patient on your own, so if someone can't walk, you're fucked. You also don't need an even number of faction members, because you can stick three people in one truck.

This isn't going to stop someone from suggesting the deployment of ambulances staffed with one person each, and said "solution" of one person per ambulance isn't going to fix the problem anyway. 

10 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

This isn't going to stop someone from suggesting the deployment of ambulances staffed with one person each, and said "solution" of one person per ambulance isn't going to fix the problem anyway. 

It's not a solution it's a problem within itself and probably a good reason why there's a large swath of burnout in the EMS RP community, you just can't work an Ambulance by yourself, beside the fact it's stressful, you arrive on scene by yourself, and that just looks worse on the faction than anything. Plus it means you have to rely on untrained individuals to solve scenes. Cop's aren't meant to be EMS, yet often times they act as partners of EMT/Paramedics on scenes. At that point the LSPD may as well operate it's own ambulance service if they're doing half the job.

As for the "problem". Solo ambulances while being able to respond to more calls, probably spend more time on scenes because they can't treat patients enroute to a facility, which means they have to sit on scene longer, do their work, and then find someone to help lift the patient up, because they can't do it themselves. While burning out the EMT rping it, because they're doing all the work, and they don't have time to talk to people, or do their own roleplay, they have to treat and go, with no one to rely on or assist. It's stressful and unfair, and no one should be operating solo ambulances if they can help it. It doesn't help call volume, it just makes the calls you do take, become far worse.

1 hour ago, KinnyWynny said:

It's not a solution it's a problem within itself and probably a good reason why there's a large swath of burnout in the EMS RP community, you just can't work an Ambulance by yourself, beside the fact it's stressful, you arrive on scene by yourself, and that just looks worse on the faction than anything. Plus it means you have to rely on untrained individuals to solve scenes. Cop's aren't meant to be EMS, yet often times they act as partners of EMT/Paramedics on scenes. At that point the LSPD may as well operate it's own ambulance service if they're doing half the job.

As for the "problem". Solo ambulances while being able to respond to more calls, probably spend more time on scenes because they can't treat patients enroute to a facility, which means they have to sit on scene longer, do their work, and then find someone to help lift the patient up, because they can't do it themselves. While burning out the EMT rping it, because they're doing all the work, and they don't have time to talk to people, or do their own roleplay, they have to treat and go, with no one to rely on or assist. It's stressful and unfair, and no one should be operating solo ambulances if they can help it. It doesn't help call volume, it just makes the calls you do take, become far worse.

I agree completely. The aim was to shoot the idea down before anyone proposed it.

Privatizing EMS creates a profit incentive and allows people to do their own thing. If John and Jim want to create their own BLS level ambulance company, so long as someone's deciding they're appropriately trained to RP it, I literally see no issue with it. A "war" would be an incentive to show up to calls when there's a competition incentive.

If people jump from LSFD where they have faction benefits, guaranteed pay and benefits to private ambulance companies - that's the free market, baby. It incentivizes the LSFD's leadership to be better. I imagine the same would be true in the reverse; people starting at private EMS companies until they can get in the FD.

An argument otherwise would be the same as saying we need a governemnt ran LS Taxi Service because private taxi companies competing with each other would be a "faction war" - who cares?

It's also realistic for the source area (LA County uses privatized BLS/EMT units with the FD providing paramedics in response cars). I also am of the firm belief letting FD respond to more critical calls to back up private EMS services would be a relief to their "burn out" problem, even if some won't want to admit it.

You can train your average snailbrained GTAW player to be a decent GTA EMT; Bandage to bleeding, drive to hospital. Let anyone with appropriate training run various companies for that, and let FD keep a monopoly on Paramedics/Paramedic roleplay. 911 calls/shootings would get two dudes in a private ambulance and the FD on a fire truck/squad car with the paramedic. This seems like a more fun system for everyone and solves much of the FD's staffing issue since I can promise private ambulances would be far more appetizing than FD when me and my bud can decide we're gonna fuck around in a ambulance tonight vs committing to a faction. You basically make EMT's a controlled job like lawyers; the script is a job, but there's a process to get it. Paramedics require significantly more training, so it makes sense that stays with factions FD/SD/etc.

The existence of the lawyer job; a in-game job regulated by a faction, confirms this is doable. Someone (It can even be the FD), would just need to step up and regulate the private ambulance industry, decertifying companies that do dumb stuff etc. This is very doable, and would let a far larger portion of people do EMS roleplay. I can't see why EMT can't be a script job like lawyer that grants access to heal/revive commands, etc; a application process like lawyers would prohibit most abuse.

The FD or gov or whoever would just pay these companies monthly based on calls taken, etc, like any other contract, and it also incentivizes these companies to take calls.

If people find a way to make trucking companies that make money and they seemingly have fun doing it, why not let people privatize EMS? It's clear the current system isn't working, and if the solution is to NPC ambulances over at least trying to privatize the system to give people roleplay because "what if there's faction overlap/conflict" then I think we've crossed the line from a roleplay server to a RPG.

Edited by bartman
  • Thanks 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic