Roleplaying Fire Department response times

hamin

1 minute ago, DasFroggy said:

A bit hard when Atmosia's finest (me) is being absorbed into the singularity with half of Atmosia's hard earned territory. Not much that can be rescued from the crushing forces of a bad engineering team.

Atmosia is nothing compared to the QM's balls.

3 minutes ago, Igarro said:

increase lsfd paychecks and you'll start receiving some sort of interest from players, thats how lsrp did it

money will NOT make it better and i say that as a member of both the lssd and lsfd factions. dmec gets paid by the BODY and there are zero shortages of people getting shot and killed on the server. yet there are almost 0 coroners on at 90% of the time the server is up daily? money isn’t everything bc script money doesn’t make u enjoy what ur doing if what ur doing is mundane and as repetitive as running gsw and mva calls all day long without a break

If there’s any devs reading this and want an idea for scripting, look into SS13 baymed.

Adding a long death timer (30 mins+) to encourage trying to stay alive and fostering goodwill towards EMS is something I personally believe is long overdue.

Of course it needs to be well thought out, such as the death timer not being active if there’s under X amount of EMS active, etc.

4 hours ago, Biscuit said:

People just don't want or don't like to roleplay medical RP. 

Some people don't like medical RP, but also for those who do, a lot of the medical RP on GTAW is unnecessarily tedious and selfish towards the player on the floor:

It's often a 40 minute quiz on medical facts over /do, sometimes without even interacting with the human being beyond "/do What's your pulse? 60-100 is normal".

Make it about the person first, the symptoms second, and more people will play ball.

90% of the time, it's people that tab out and watch youtube whilst you have to paste the exact same /do 3 times to ask them for their Blood Pressure

If someone is tabbing out from a scene, that scene is boring and the person is expecting to be able to have minimal input.

Also a lot of people take time to answer medical questions because they don't do medical RP for hours a day and fear saying something silly. Many times they don't know what's expected.

Transport times are also absurdly long a lot of the time. If you have a couple of hours a night to play, and suffer an accident or are victim to an attack and you have to spend an hour of your night having your body puppeteered while you're given the same /do to answer every few minutes, then you can't ask for a lot of investment. Common injuries should be expedited quicker where possible and people put in an ambulance faster.

before you even get to the scene, sadly it does happen with gangs mostly, but gang members will just tend to /acceptdeath if you arrive on scene and just /do No pulse. 

This is mostly a result of our PK system, which really just makes death more appealing because once FD is there they're going to have the illegal items they were hoping to keep anyway.

Anyway, in short, EMS RP faces a lot of problems from the playerbase, but they definitely have room for improvement, especially when it comes to EMT/Patient communication, tunnel-visioning on scene and other issues.

Some attitudes also don't help as it has been even mentioned by members on these forums that they sometimes simply refuse to attend certain calls.

And before people write telling me to try it for myself, I used to be the Director of Training & Recruitment in FD as well as a Nurse in PHMC.

• Upvote 1

As always, the monopoly on EMT roleplay comes into play. While some individuals go on about the playerbase being against first responder roleplay, the reality is that most of the roleplay provided is simply cookie cutter roleplay; what's your pulse? are your pupils dilated? did you fart? Reality is that the way that FD provides that roleplay is outdated, it's not enjoyable and frankly, it just looks like you lot simply hate having to roleplay it. And that's fine.

What is not fine is that since the inception of this server, the FD threw tantrums left and right to maintain their monopoly on medical roleplay. A faction that doesn't want to do medical roleplay refuses to allow the formation of private medical factions such as EMT's because of reasons of self validation. If you don't want to do it, then why won't you allow others to do it? FD has gone on record many times saying they refuse certain calls cause they can't be fucked to. It also takes a while to respond to situations because they don't want to, because they don't enjoy it.

It was a complete and utter clusterfuck to get those private medical clinics rolling because previous FD leadership threw tantrums left and right, cause god forbid another entity would take away some of the power they didn't want. Spare people the bullshit and admit that something is wrong with the way you're doing things. People complain about the lack of opportunities and the dreadful interaction; here's one idea, allow the people that want to roleplay it to actually roleplay it, instead of blocking progress. You don't like the roleplay? Perfectly fine. But don't go on saying people hate medical roleplay because FD is incapable of providing engaging roleplay, all the while categorically refusing third party medical factions. If FD is incapable of sustaining itself without the monopoly on EMT roleplay, then maybe its time for FD to go or find new leadership, because it's clearly not working.

11 minutes ago, the_criserk said:

Snip

Certainly a reality, but private medical factions will not fix the fact that for 90% of the playerbase, having to come up with their own injuries in /me with limited knowledge on what injuries they should have in the first place is, is a massive clusterfuck that simply will not be fixed without a script overhaul.

Plus 90% of the playerbase simply finds doing that type of RP boring.

How would private EMS factions work with LSFD's EMS division? Say for example a call about a GSW comes in. I respond, a private EMS responds. Is it a case of whoever gets there first gets it? If that's the case, it's going to become a race to get to scenes first and an overall nightmare to manage, which will definitely lead to OOC tension and conflict which I don't think LFM will want to manage. It means if I don't get to a scene first, I have no roleplay because my sole purpose in FD is a paramedic. I play in the mornings when there's 1 call every 2 hours if you're lucky, so if I'm unlucky enough to get those snagged up by private EMS companies, it could be days before I actually get a call.

Edited by Westen
  • Applaud 1
10 hours ago, Biscuit said:

Honestly, here's my suggestion;

I'd be so down to see a similar /sendtomorgue request system, where it's just /gotohospital, it sends the request to online firefighters (if any) and once you're sent to the hospital it prints out a /do around you so you don't just... Disappear. The determination if you are getting accepted or not is determined by either admins or on-duty firefighters.

I'd like for this to be up to the choice of the player, for sure. Some people, myself included make pretty dramatic developments when FD have to be called considering it's not a usual thing for us, but I can 100% see someone who needs FD regularly appreciating this. I just think for someone who only keeps limited FD interactions, it'd be offensive to be whisked away from your scene due to time constraints. I'm fairly certain that was what you were going for anyway but it's important clarification.

8 hours ago, TheSenate said:

This logic follows the assumption that everyone who wants to RP in EMS is already a member of LSFD or planning on becoming one. I’ve met numerous people on this server (many of them actual EMTs/Paramedics) who would be willing to roleplay in EMS, but refuse to join FD due to the state of the faction. 

(1) LSFD is (and I say this as a member of it) a faction that isn’t overly interested in the clinical aspect of EMS. Very few members are interested in learning more about EMS or advancing their understanding of it. Most of them follow guides dating back to early LSRP and (2) they often have a unwelcoming attitude towards individuals who come along and try to help them better understand the realities of EMS. This isn’t universally true of -all- LSFD members, but it is unfortunately very prevalent in their ranks.

So it is understandable that there is a community of prospective EMS roleplayers outside of LSFD who choose not to join that faction.

(1) As a faction member, have you really went through the guides and handbooks?  They were mostly renewed completely since the current chief took over with people spending months of their lives to do so.

(2) Something which is completely not true. The LSFD is probably one of the only factions that care about its member's opinions and almost never pushes a change without discussing it with the members first. I don't know what attitude you have been given, but you should have raised it up to the faction leadership or supervisors if you had any issues.

4 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

What if I told you I was in the faction for over two years? And most of my opinions are built on hard experience of the faction. I've tried other factions, none of them were as fun, or as flawed as the LSFD. Because ultimately, the LSFD is LSFD's worse enemy in a lot of cases, and it can't all be attributed to bad roleplay they have to deal with. Part of emergency services is bad roleplay, it's expected, your goal in a OOC sense, is to unfuck the fucked, and find enjoyment in that.    Because portrayal, portrayal of private EMS is gritty, down to earth and rough. Why do you think people play gangbangers, nazi's, bikers, drug dealers, methamphetamine enthusiasts. From an IC basis, FD is a better career, but harder to get into, and you have to do fire

As member of the faction for two years you should know that people dont have to do fire if they dont want to. There is a different career path for EMS only. 

Edited by Sharvit
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • Zani unlocked this topic