Has Los Santos turned into the city of crime?

Farmer

10 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

No, but expecting not to get robbed while going on a long solo run or lonely walk across the beach

Neither of which I do. Typically the jogging is limited to areas of activity, such as near open shops or announced events, as are the beach visits. It's interesting that you assumed I was alone during these incidents...

10 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Such is life, something things happen. Just because you planned you your entire life doesn’t mean that planning is gonna hold. (Fun for me, but not for thee!)

It's interesting how often this argument comes up. Can't resist crime or have fun because that's unrealistic, but you can't expect crime to be realistic because it's not fun. Can't have fun because that's unrealistic, but you can't expect crime to be realistic....

It's this weird loop that always appears every single time. Realism and/or fun factors in only when it benefits one side. 

Again, crime can be as realistic or fun as the criminals want, all I ask is that it be fun and/or realistic for both sides.

But I'll bet five dollars on an incoming argument that AGAIN struggles to reword and disguise that very same loop of how it should be fun for only one side...

Edited by DasFroggy
1 hour ago, DasFroggy said:

Last time I mentioned poor behavior from a criminal to IFM, the response was a "BOOHOO :'C" picture and instructions to "stop whining". I'll be more willing to trust IFM if they become more strict about punishing anyone that responds in such a manner.

Someone had to say it. Every thread where you can find a reason to cry about your poor character getting robbed, you do it. 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Neither of which I do. Typically the jogging is limited to areas of activity, such as near open shops or announced events, as are the beach visits. It's interesting that you assumed I was alone during these incidents...

It’s literally pandering and borderline metagame. It doesn’t make sense for your character to do X activity when that activity has lead to violence over and over again. Yet because you (the player) want to “create” roleplay or be some sort of event master you victimize yourself (the character) in pursuit of this goal. Just stop doing it. 

13 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

It's interesting how often this argument comes up. Can't resist crime or have fun because that's unrealistic, but you can't expect crime to be realistic because it's not fun. Can't have fun because that's unrealistic, but you can't expect crime to be realistic....

It's this weird loop that always appears every single time. Realism and/or fun factors in only when it benefits one side. 

Again, crime can be as realistic or fun as the criminals want, all I ask is that it be fun and/or realistic for both sides.

But I'll bet five dollars on an incoming argument that AGAIN struggles to reword and disguise that very same loop of how it should be fun for only one side...

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I also don’t care what you consider fun. Fun is subjective, what I find fun isn’t necessarily something you find fun. The collective “fun” we have is the enjoyment we have out of roleplaying, whatever that enjoyment may be. What I did argue is that just because you thought of something and planned something it doesn’t mean anyone has to yield to it. Just because you planned a trip to the beach doesn’t mean no one else has. Just because you wanted to visit Raton Canyon doesn’t mean Darryl won’t crash into your car. Just because you wanted to repeatedly jog past businesses in the hopes someone comes talk to you doesn’t mean Brickshaw won’t smack your head with a hammer to take

your money.  

5 hours ago, Sush said:

Los Santos has a higher death rate per capita than some World War 2 battles so this might actually be the case

EDIT:

I'm bored as hell so here's some math for you:

The total number of murders per month this spring were approximately:

Jan: 1100

Feb: 850

Mar: 1400

Apr: 1250

This is a quarterly average of: 1,150 murders per month this spring

The player count for the same time was: (On average, based on compounded monthly average of 10 minute intervals)

Jan: 326.87

Feb: 315.82

Mar: 364.44

Apr: 449.28

This equates to an overall quarterly average player count of 364.1025

If we account for a 30 day month, we can then conclude that the average number of murders per day (1,150 / 30) comes out to 38.3334 murders per day in a city with an average population of 364. 

This then implies that 10.531% of the entire city is murdered every day. This comes out to a murder rate of 3,843,864.47. For perspective, the highest murder rate in the world currently is El Salvador with a rate of 52.02. Therefore, living in San Andreas results in a 72,892 times higher murder rate than El Salvador. In Los Santos, assuming you play every day, you will be killed by another player on average 38.43 times per year.

Very interesting, now face the wall.

As a former member of law enforcement I can tell you one thing. Everyone can be broken, everyone, even the biggest hardass criminal breaks when they realize, that not only they are never getting out of prison, but the law can turn their family's life into hell. At that point 90% of criminals of any kind break and snitch on their fellas, to score lower sentence. Criminals in the game don't fear anything, cause honestly what could happen? CK? Sure, they will just reroll the character, same gang, same personality different name. That's it. At this point killing a victim for snitching is pointless, cause nothing can happen to them, even if someone describes the robbers.

Edited by Engelbert
2 hours ago, Trupiano said:

I don't think anyone is trying to compare the map to LA to justify chain robberies, but I think people are trying to point out that the reality of LA (Not what's sold by hollywood and tourism campaigns) is its a crime rampant, pretty fucked up place which does have a ton of violent street gangs and criminal organizations. Now is that factor turned up to 11? Yeah. But debating it is kinda pointless because this is a video game. Of course crime is going to be out of control, of course people are going excessively brutal or violent. The GTA franchise is based around outrageous and violent crime in a universe that parodies real life to a ridiculous extent. 

While of course we are all here for serious roleplay, some people particularly on the civilian and LEO side of the server have an unrealistic expectation of how much criminal activity should be allowed, again in a video game based around crime. While I'm a firm believer that criminal acts shouldn't be a daily activity for a character and more time should be focused on personal development, this is an old school mindset. "Roleplay" something that was incredibly niche and taken incredibly serious by its participants in its glory days of the mid 2000's has now become incredibly popular and also much more casual in it's approach due to its popularization by twitch streamers in recent years. 

We can always press players to be more serious and take more time with their RP, but we have to accept that this is the new norm. The majority of players joining RP and the server today want to do crime, the majority of those players were not introduced to RP with the same type of serious mindset that we all were. As long as this server continues to grow and people continue to find roleplay, there will continue to be shitty chain robbing criminals who haven't yet realized there's more fun to be had if you don't treat the server like a cops & robbers simulator. 

I'm not saying we have to just roll over and say serious RP is dead and the server is basically just anarchy now, but I am saying complaining about it and calling for staff to broadly punish illegal RPers isn't going to do anything productive. The way I see it? The majority of Illegal factions on the server are dedicated to doing things the right way. Instead of broadly condemning illegal RPers, put faith into IFM and faction leaders to help make corrections. 

When you have a bad experience, identify who your dealing with and say something. IFM doesn't want shitty factions and faction leaders don't want dumb ass members. I do believe there are some factions who attempt to abuse the server for their own enjoyment but those factions or the players doing so can be weeded out. But acting like the sky is falling and blaming all criminal RPers on the forums isn't doing anyone favors. It just sours everyone's view of the situation. Again, ultimately this is a video game based around crime. To expect crime rates be "realistic" is both a counter productive and unrealistic demand of the servers administration that will never be fulfilled. Corrections can be made to make the situation enjoyable for most people. But again that's only going to happen if feedback and complaints are sent through the right channels, not spammed repeatedly in the same type of general discussions thread that gets posted every month.

When you have a bad experience, identify who your dealing with and say something.

I've submitted enough RPQ reports in my time to know they won't tackle the issue at large.

I don't necessarily mind crime in the city, so long as it's portrayed well enough. The issue is that a lot of the crime that happens in the city is just a huge waste of time — for the most part, people just gather evidence, post a report, have the report conclude, void the situation, and post refund requests. That's so tedious and extremely annoying.

I don't try to avoid crime out of fear of death or anything, I just avoid it purely because I'm sick of having to report people all the time and go through an unnecessary arbitration process with a lot of back-and-forths. If we're going to have crime on the server, it should be done properly, not by young people from Europe portraying Black Americans in an almost offensive and stereotypical manner, with poor English to boot (not taking into account slang).

2 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

Actually, I don't think it's luck. As an administrator, a portion of time you'd normally spend roleplaying is instead spent keeping the server from bursting into flames like a crusty french vanilla seasoned bowl of crab soup filled with angry bees.

Doesn't really apply when out of my 3000 hours, only 300 or so have been while I was an admin.

16 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

It doesn’t make sense for your character to do X activity when that activity has lead to violence over and over again.

...and when I resign myself to nightclubs and restaurants like everyone else that does so to avoid the rampant crime, it'll go right on back to "why are the streets empty?" and being called a mallrat.

16 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

That would explain quite a bit. Your wild assumptions and mostly inaccurate assessments of my in-character activities has gone a long way to reveal that you're insights on the topic are in desperate need of  reevaluating.

10 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

At this point killing a victim for snitching is pointless,

Oh, but they absolutely will go through with killing the victim for snitching anyway. 

1 minute ago, Brian3898 said:

Doesn't really apply when out of my 3000 hours, only 300 or so have been while I was an admin.

If all those three hundred were in one solid block, you'd be right, but they're spaced apart, meaning there's a far greater likeliness you're missing random events like muggings.

It's entirely possible that there have been a few muggers eyeballing you as a target, only for you to green-name up and vanish into thin air to handle something. That paired with status, and folks aren't going to risk messing with you.

6 minutes ago, Brian3898 said:

It just depends man like I rarely die IG either. But we're on the one extreme of the scale and the dudes that die 10 times a day are on the other side of the scale

• Upvote 1