[LSNN] Meeting the face behind DOUX: A brief chat with Los Santos' biggest DJ

5yHwzO3.png

Meeting the face behind DOUX: A brief chat with Los Santos' biggest DJ

9smSvQv.png

Mr LeBeau performing at a function. (Source: Facebrowser)

By ALLISON BERKOWITZ

Los Santos, SA - If Los Santos is known around the world for anything other than it's tendency to produce stars, it's the city's vibrant nightlife and social scene.

At the center of all these occasions, however, there's somebody keeping the rhythm of the night moving for partygoers on weekdays and weekends alike. DJs (shorthand for Disc Jockey) take the stage using equipment by the likes of Pioneer with their CDJ series of mixing boards to seamlessly stream hours of unrelated tracks together in a manner that feels as if they where on the same record to begin with. Matching the beats of songs and creating a smooth transition isn't all it takes to be a standout DJ, and nobody knows that better than Julian LeBeau, who is more commonly known by his stage name of DOUX, stylized as such. LeBeau, 30 hails from France and has taken the city by storm appearing at various events and inner-city clubs and putting on amazing varied shows. Getting to meet him was a rare pleasure as he is as busy as most would imagine.

Entertainment is a lucrative field for many, be it management or performance or something related to both. DOUX cut a stylish and modern figure when he came to greet me with his equally stylish publicist in tow. Professional in his approach, but friendly enough to feel as if we'd bumped into each other at any other function as we greeted one another and got down to brass taxes about what he'd like to talk about. Deciding the locale wasn't relaxed enough and equally full of potential prying ears, we relocated.

Sitting down at the aftermath of a dinner party held at the popular tourist and locally visited resort, Pacific Bluffs. We found ourselves in the cocktail lounge adjacent to the reception, there we got on the record for our readers and his fans alike. After getting a drink over for myself and Mr. LeBeaux and his assistant, we where ready to get startd. For the interview below I'll be referring to myself as AB and Mr. LeBeau as DX respectively. 

-

AB: I'll be honest, I personally don't know a lot about you, and I'm sure some of our readers won't, so at first I was wondering if you could give us a brief overview of how you got into DJing, and any particular moment where you thought 'this is really going somewhere'?

DX: Well, I started producing music at an early age back in France, which naturally led to me DJing as getting DJs to play your songs is hard. Why not just do it yourself? After a while I started getting more and more gigs. Plugging my music as much as I could and sure; the music got some attention, but the DJing and I guess my personality was the thing people where craving. 

AB: That's exactly it. I think personality is a big factor in successfully achieving wide acclaim in public facing fields like this. Was there anything you experienced growing up in France that really made you realize music was the career you was aiming for?

DX: After years of success on the club scene in France, especially the riviera; I felt like I wanted to continue my career. It paid the bills and then some,  so I thought why not stick with it instead of getting a regular job. I guess the lavish lifestyle didn't really hit until I moved here and started performing. 

e

AB: So you've performed at clubs all over the city and I'm sure that as a prominent DJ you have one of the best overviews of 'the scene' right now. Would you say Los Santos' nightlife scene is healthy?

DX: I think so, we got good competition between clubs and it really shows how venues that put thought and time into creating a quality experience will thrive. But alas, I do run my with my associates that focuses on just that. We currently own and operate four clubs in the city.

AB: It makes sense that the management and business side of entertainment is something you'd move onto. Was establishing a business of that caliber a difficult task?

DX: Well, it started with just one club in which a friend, Derya Akdeniz and I where fed up with the uh- how can I put this... "Machinery" which was prominent in the club scene at the time. Very little planning and very little heart. So we started up and opened The Hotline, and have grown since to own and manage three more clubs. Those being The Couer Noir, Dungeon Crawler and Bahama Mamas. The success of these places gave us the funding to hire more security, bartenders, and workers to lighten the workload a little for management.

AB: There are quite a few DJs out there putting work in the city and on the scene in general. Is there a lot of competition between you all?

DX: I think yes, in a way there is. But also there is an uhm, how would you call it? A "family" in a sense of local DJs. We learn from each other and we take care of each other. Of course, there are some outliers, people who want that fifteen minutes of fame and will try to roll over as many DJs as possible to get there.

AB: What advice would you give to performers, musicians and DJs trying to get started?

DX: First of all, get in touch with me. Wave Entertainment will give you gigs at the best clubs in the city and our DJs including myself will teach you everything you need to know when you're starting out. Other than that, be true to yourself and keep that hustle going. Remember that if you built it yourself, they'll come... no matter how long it takes.

AB: Seeing as you're always meeting a lot of people and performing at a wide variety of events and shows. Do you ever switch up the genres you mix to suit the occasion?

DX: Well, I have my own tracks and music that I love mixing because it's what I like. But I always try to keep it varied and interesting. I'll mix it up during an event as well, nothing's better than trying to meet every guest and listeners demands. Though it's impossible to please everyone in under two hours, which most gigs are. 

AB: Okay, one last question before we wrap up. This is a bit of a fun one. I know we'd all say we're the best in our respective fields, but who do you think would be the best DJ out there if you weren't around?

DX: Hah, I can't answer that, I'm afraid. We've all got our strengths and weaknesses, but right now? The people I find hot on the scene are Lil Hata, Carl Kendrick, Mask, Ender and uhm, Ellusion. Which is a fitting name cause he's kinda lowkey these days. Oh, and DJ Oro, hands down, best Latin music DJ there is.

-

Our on-record conversation came to a close, and we exchanged farewells, to which I told Mr. LeBeau I'll surely see him at one of his future shows. It was exciting to meet someone so established in the scene. We're sure fans and curious readers alike will enjoy getting to know more about a well-known name on the nightlife scene. Do you think DOUX will remain at the top for a long time? What are your experiences on the dancefloor with him on the decks? Let us know in the comments below, we'd love to hear from you.

DOUX announces many of his events on his public Facebrowser account. Be sure to check in on it if you're interested in finding out where he'll perform next.

5m83Bhm.png

> Comments are enabled

Username:

Comment:

Edited by GivenchyParis
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1