Lose memories - PK or not PK

Sons

1 minute ago, eTaylor said:

I was gonna quote you with a snobby response while pretending to be a know-it-all armchair elitist and condescending terminology connoisseur, but when I went to copy and paste the rules I found that it doesn’t actually define anything. So, touché. 

I respect the attempt, nonetheless. 

• Upvote 1

PKs, to me, sound like they just void the whole situation.

Let's say there's a scenario where Harry and Luke are having an altercation. Harry shoots Luke in the head, Luke dies.

Obviously because it's not a CK, Luke is around the next day. If Harry knew details about Luke like his name, age, where he's from, etc. then it wouldn't make much sense for a PK because they would probably cross paths again. From Luke's perspective, the situation never happened because his character died, but he's still walking. It's only a page in the book of Harry, where he killed someone.

I'm not in support of CKs being mandatory, because otherwise we would have way too many throwaway characters and it'd be a nuisance. I personally try and avoid potentially dangerous situations because a lot of them are pointless or poorly done.

If you invest RP into something for weeks, and it turns south, and it actually makes sense on your demies, CK.
Don't PK, you don't wanna be known for being in ten factions, take the CK. (( IF NO RULES WERE NOT BROKEN AND IT MAKES SENSE )) 

9 minutes ago, Jax said:

If you invest RP into something for weeks, and it turns south, and it actually makes sense on your demies, CK.
Don't PK, you don't wanna be known for being in ten factions, take the CK. (( IF NO RULES WERE NOT BROKEN AND IT MAKES SENSE )) 

The issue is that there are civilians who get robbed frequently, and that shouldn't warrant them to CK. At that point it'd be considered griefing.

I'd understand having a character involved in a faction/gang and then getting CKed when a situation goes sour. That makes sense, and makes for a good story. But for regular occurrences of robberies and beatings that aren't the character's/player's fault? I'd say a CK would be too extreme.

i dont get what this thread is trying to say, but ill give my two cents. 

on gmod we didnt use ck - we had pk and nlr, or new life rule. a pk or permanent kill is the gtaw equivalent of a ck, your character dies and thats it, theyre deleted. an nlr is your character dies but youre allowed to respawn without your items and its just rped as an unrelated npc dying in your stead. 

for example, charlie gets robbed by steven. the robbery goes south and steven kills charlie, but charlie wants to nlr, or pk in gtaw’s case, charlie is allowed to respawn and the situation is treated as steven robbing and killing a random person as opposed to charlie, hence why hes still allowed to take or loot charlie’s items.

Edited by sensual

I was talking to a friend about this last night and it turns out that the "PK wipes the memory of your character's interactions with the killer or the parties they're involved with" version of the rule is from the Faction War Rules. However, over time everyone is just treating that as the basis for every single PK. An example we used was going hiking with friends and falling off a mountain trail. Using the Faction War version of PK up above means that now you don't have those friends anymore and you don't remember ever being friends. This just leads people to void all accidental deaths and continue on as if nothing happened. It was my understanding that a PK would remove an hour or two of memory up to the point of death, so that you don't lose your entire personality for something stupid like that, you just get a bad concussion for a day or so and feel fine later on.

If the Admins, and the server at large, are going to use the Faction War version of PK, then how is it that different than a CK? If you're killed by someone you know and work with, then suddenly you can't continue working there? Even if there's no reason in your personal story not to?

I think I just want a clear answer, in the Server Rules, about the different versions of Player Kills and Character Kills. 

27 minutes ago, ScurviedNinja said:

An example we used was going hiking with friends and falling off a mountain trail. Using the Faction War version of PK up above means that now you don't have those friends anymore and you don't remember ever being friends.

Pretty sure nobody's ever interpreted the rule like that. It's a pretty simple system. I don't see how people don't get it.

On 8/18/2021 at 10:46 PM, Aquila said:

PKs, to me, sound like they just void the whole situation.

Let's say there's a scenario where Harry and Luke are having an altercation. Harry shoots Luke in the head, Luke dies.

Obviously because it's not a CK, Luke is around the next day. If Harry knew details about Luke like his name, age, where he's from, etc. then it wouldn't make much sense for a PK because they would probably cross paths again. From Luke's perspective, the situation never happened because his character died, but he's still walking. It's only a page in the book of Harry, where he killed someone.

I'm not in support of CKs being mandatory, because otherwise we would have way too many throwaway characters and it'd be a nuisance. I personally try and avoid potentially dangerous situations because a lot of them are pointless or poorly done.

This, if you character died in an encounter, that means it did not happen in first place for your character. Because if it's not CK, the killer cannot even name their victim, in case they knew it. To them it's just a nameless corpse. Now for the sake of continuity how are your friends gonna roleplay your death if they were around? They won't, because you did not die.

• Wuhtah locked this topic