Enforce a stricter /attributes policy

57 minutes ago, Bloodseeker said:

Would you like to enforce how many characters people type in /me too while you're at it? If you're curious, ask in /do. He probably did it like that because not everyone recognizes the ink of every single gang in the city and he doesn't want to spoonfeed metagaming material to half the server. If you think your character would know, by all means, go ahead. And only then if he tells you to get out of his /do's, report him. Simple as that.

I honestly don't see what the fuss is all about here.

agreed, seems like an issue solved by a change in attitude and by communication rather than script.

I would much rather someone has an ambiguous description in their /attributes, as Bloodseeker suggests to prevent metagaming, than the more often than not misusage of /attributes where I find out a characters entire backstory.

No change needed to be done to the /attributes system other than clarification for players with less common sense that think they’re supposed to tell us their characters story rather than what we can actually physically see.

I agree some /examines need to be looked at and adjusted. People have clearly misunderstood what the /ex is for, but at the end of the day, nothing stops you from doing a /do and asking for the information on their character that you can't see in it. I think this is only adding another thing admins need to do in their free time instead of just taking it upon yourself to /do ask them.

The current system doesn't make /ex useless because as a deputy, I rely heavily on /ex and find it to be very useful still. Especially when I got a fourteen year old character telling me her name is Serena but in her/examine she has a necklace on saying Jennifer. Without that examine I would of roleplayed believing her. 😛

29 minutes ago, L I C E said:

agreed, seems like an issue solved by a change in attitude and by communication rather than script.

I suggest you read the suggestion instead of thinking Im suggesting an extra script. The script is already in place. Thank you.

Sure, you shouldn’t display “.. has several tattoos affiliated with Set X”. Thats a no go obviously. What we used to do when MS13 of @IrCam was a thing was that we described what the tattoos looked like, instead of blatantly stating “… has MS13 tattoos”

Edited by ThatDutchPerson
7 minutes ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

I suggest you read the suggestion instead of thinking Im suggesting an extra script. The script is already in place. Thank you.

just pm someone and give them advice on how to improve it or pm to ask if in doubt about anything, i fail to see how this is necessary. far bigger fish to fry on this server than a few ambiguous descriptions. if they tell u to get out of their PMs or are rude, well, that's what RPQM/forum reports/IG reports are for. what rule change are u pressing for here? you've written up a mountain of text but none of it describes any kind of solution or actual rule change, just "enforce stricter policy" which means nothing. enforce what? enforce that you must write X or Y there, or can't write Z or A?

• Applaud 1

Personally TDP, I think you're over thinking this to an extent. People's attributes should be able to be whatever it needs to be to fit their character demographic, gang tattoos aren't always black and white these days either. Gangs hide away affiliations more and more each day or they get cryptic with it. Take the 👄 on Surenos, for a while it was just "lips" and threw off potential police attention & another example is my Faction that I'm currently leading, IRL TRG hide affiliations and wear it on rags/clothing instead, not everything is as crystal clear as you might think.

So /attributes can be whatever that player feels the information you need to know is, some can be super descriptive and some can be super discreet, it fits their demographic and their roleplay. Adding a rule to type out more stuff in /attributes is only gonna throw people off, we're a heavy roleplay server but there's limits.

If you see an examine that describes someone as a hot head or whatever, feel free to send me a forum PM with the character name or send me a DM on discord with the character name. I'll look into it and let the person know they need to change it or help them out - I have no issues doing so.

However, I don't think we need to add a stricter rule based on it. People just don't quite understand, and that's okay. We're a teaching community, so let's guide them, yeah?

3 hours ago, Wuhtah said:

If you see an examine that describes someone as a hot head or whatever, feel free to send me a forum PM with the character name or send me a DM on discord with the character name. I'll look into it and let the person know they need to change it or help them out - I have no issues doing so.

However, I don't think we need to add a stricter rule based on it. People just don't quite understand, and that's okay. We're a teaching community, so let's guide them, yeah?

As usual, that's very kind of you, Wuhtah, but I honestly feel that doing this will burn you out. Nobody has to take on the burden when it belongs to the players in question. 

I've seen some absolutely troll-like attributes like "tall enough to fuck you up", so instances like that, while not as common, are obviously intended to be edgy. 

At the very least, there needs to be some kind of prompt in-game encouraging people to use realistic and well-descriptive attributes. If that fails, we need to enforce a stricter policy because sometimes we can't teach everyone. People should be given one or two chances to sort out their attributes, then be given a hard option. 

One thing that might be helpful is to have required fields for height and weight/build at character creation like there is for age.  Mainly because we're all rocking the same size player model and it's something you would notice when looking at someone.  Having it display as a range like age could account for things like slouching or wearing baggy jackets or other things that would make an exact assessment difficult.  That way every player can at least have the basics.

Edited by ashamar