Enforce a stricter /attributes policy

Short description: Start enforcing a stricter policy on /attributes (/examine)

Detailed description:

Today, I had a long discussion with @Biscuit about an /attribute I saw.

I saw a player (which I won't name for obvious reasons) using ''... has gang tattoos ... '' in his /attributes, but no-where was stated which kind of tattoos it were. This struck me as odd, so I tried telling the player how to make a more immersive and complete looking /examine. The only response I got from the player was ''outta my pms'', but thats an other issue which I wont comment on here.

As it stands with the staff team appearntly, is that thats enough. Its not required nor promoted to actually describe what the tattoos look like, ''because you can ask in /do''. This is however, in my opinion, an outdated solution. We can do /do for anything that defines specific characteristics of our characters. This response I got from the Biscuit, and the second opinion he went to get, sets the precedent on basicly ''why use /attributes anyway, you can just ask in /do what the person looks like'' (NOTE: not the words of Biscuit).

This solution makes /attributes useless. We are forced to use it so we should be forced to use it appropiately, esspecially when it involves something as important as gang affiliations. Thus, I am suggesting to enforce a stricter policy with /attributes.

See the below chatlog as reference together with the two linked topics that relate to this matter.

Maybe @St3fan[NL] can also give his input, as he is the developer of the function.

Commands to add: None

Items to add: None

How would your suggestion improve the server?: More immersion, and the /attributes will be used appropiately and for its intended purpose.

Additional information:

Chatlog with Biscuit

Spoiler

Report: [-name redacted- has in his attributes ''has gang tattoos'', but isn't describing any of them.] was answered by Biscuit.
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: Still need an admin? ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: Tried teaching him but I was met with hostility yesterday. ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: Well if he wont learn from me he gotta learn it from someone 😛 ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: This was yesterday? ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: Yes, and asfar as I saw the /attributes didnt change. There were no admins on back then. ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: I got the hositllity screened ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: I dunno, he's denying your claims. ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: Just check his /examine ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: Let me show you the conversation I had with him yesterday on disc ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: Are you asking him to INCLUDE it in his attributes? ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: Isnt it against the rules to state ''has gang tattoos'' but not describe which gang tattoos? ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: Who told you that? ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: Seems like its a topic of discussion then. Seemed a bit lack-of-effort when you dont include what the tattoos look like. PGish too given people wont be able to react on it as they dont know if he's a rival set or not. ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: You can always just ask via a /do for him to clarify, it's hard for us to enforce something that's not written anywhere. An example being, someone has a "British Accent" ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: thats an actual aduible accent. ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: /attributes is used to describe a physical appearance. ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: But there's multiple types of british accents. ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: what he is doing is literally the same as ''has red hair'' but his character having dark blonde. ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: Does he or does he not have gang tattoos? ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: Right. Seems like I'll be taking this onto a discussion thread then. Have a nice day, and thanks anyway for the response. ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: Furthermore, your /attributes can be used to describe your scent, your voice, anything about your character description. ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: Exactly, /anything/ of your character's description. Don't you think its a pretty big deal to describe what your gang tattoos look like IF you state you have them? ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: For some people it is, for other people it isn't, for some people it's a big deal to describe what type of british accent you have, for some people it isn't. ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: This isnt a matter of opinion. This is an actual thing that greatly impacts how other sets react, its basicly blatant PGing. ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: Did you ask him via a /do to clarify? ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: I didn't, because I shouldn't need to. It was told time and time again by multiple administrators including the developer of the function; it is used to describe things that arent directly visible due to game limitations. ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: Then following the same logic, people are required to describe what type of british accent their character has, they described that their character had gang tattoos, which is true, they do have gang tattoos, but they never described which ones. ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: Let me quote directly what Stefan wrote: ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: Is Stefan an admin? ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: Your character's age will now be required as well as additional information explaining specific characteristics about your character. This way everyone will have their description filled out for when other players interact with your characte ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: A gang tattoo sounds pretty specific as a characteristic to me. This is directly from the feature topic of /attributes. ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: They did say that they had a gang tattoo, which means that the charateristic is fulfilled. ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: Right then. I'll be using this chatlog within the discussion thread. Thanks for the response. ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: Give me a moment, I'll ask for a second admin's opinion. ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: Oh, alrighty. ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: Okay, so I got a second admin's opinion, from the question "is "has a gang tattoo" in /attributes without describing the type of gang tattoo considered powergaming?" I got the answer "ask him to describe it in /do" ))
: (( PM to (311) Biscuit: Yeah Im not settling with that, I'll be taking this to a suggestion topic. Thanks for the response though. ))
(( PM from (311) Biscuit: Take care. ))

• Upvote 3

Yes.

Tired of lazy /attributes. If we really want people to believe this is a heavy roleplay server, we need to enforce specific rules to assist with immersion.

FiveRP, once our competitors, strictly enforced character biographies to the point where it got extremely annoying. I have reported so many people for their subjective /attributes that show nothing but opinions and basic nonsense like "tall, attractive, works out". This rule needs to be enforced so we don't have to keep asking the simple questions over /do every time we roleplay with someone.

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Aquila said:

Yes.

Tired of lazy /attributes. If we really want people to believe this is a heavy roleplay server, we need to enforce specific rules to assist with immersion.

FiveRP, once our competitors, strictly enforced character biographies to the point where it got extremely annoying. I have reported so many people for their subjective /attributes that show nothing but opinions and basic nonsense like "tall, attractive, works out". This rule needs to be enforced so we don't have to keep asking the simple questions over /do every time we roleplay with someone.

Forget lazy, some people obviously have no clue what attributes are for. I've seen people describe their upbringing, what parents are still alive and stuff that has no business being in attributes. You wonder how these people get into the server lol.

• Applaud 1
21 hours ago, 99 said:

Forget lazy, some people obviously have no clue what attributes are for. I've seen people describe their upbringing, what parents are still alive and stuff that has no business being in attributes. You wonder how these people get into the server lol.

You're absolutely right, I've seen some /attributes having a story like "lived in San Andreas all their life and had a lot of hardships" which tells me absolutely nothing at face value.

I know I joked about this before, but we can't rely on /ajails and /bans to define our server as a "heavy text RP server" when there are still people who can't roleplay. I know it may come across as elitist, but I'm not the only one who cant stand these lazy sets of /attributes:

Y8QBwtP.png

MjNM9WD.png

On 8/12/2021 at 4:09 PM, Aquila said:

Yes.

I think quality roleplay gives the impression of a heavy roleplay server.

Enforcing attributes is just silly. Realistically, what does this create? How does this benefit anyone? I feel like this is just nitpicking.

Short and to the point attributes doesn't mean that anyone is a 'shit' roleplayer.

Sure, if you feel as if you want your character to give off a vivid description and maybe even unnecessary things through /attributes. You go ahead and do that, getting on to other people because of it however is silly.

Who's to say your character would even be able to recognise these tattoo's as related to that specific gang? What you are describing is an issue easily solved through /do and a little interaction with said player. 

Just because someones attributes isn't six lines long doesn't mean that it isn't being used properly.

On 8/11/2021 at 4:10 PM, ThatDutchPerson said:

Its not required nor promoted to actually describe what the tattoos look like, ''because you can ask in /do''. This is however, in my opinion, an outdated solution. We can do /do for anything that defines specific characteristics of our characters.

This is how it should be. I don't get why you are advocating for a suggestion that basically skips player interaction. 

Let me also add that the only people that would have IC interest in this person's tattoo's would most likely be 1) Other gangbangers or 2) Law enforcement. Both of which are able to confront said person IC and /do it out.

For those that think this is so important? Can I just ask for some of these 'annoying /do's' that you are doing everyday that you think this suggestion will solve.

Edited by SOMOS COMO SOMOS
  • Upvote 6

Would you like to enforce how many characters people type in /me too while you're at it? If you're curious, ask in /do. He probably did it like that because not everyone recognizes the ink of every single gang in the city and he doesn't want to spoonfeed metagaming material to half the server. If you think your character would know, by all means, go ahead. And only then if he tells you to get out of his /do's, report him. Simple as that.

I honestly don't see what the fuss is all about here.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1