A way to permanently turn off the radio, as to stop leaking your IP everywhere

Kappaurel

3 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I just wonder though does it give them the IP along with the UCP/character name or does it only display IPs? In any case, yes I fully agree with this suggestion (for other reasons tbh, I use Spotify and it's a pain in the ass to fixr everytime I enter a business).

It shows the listener's location but it's several blocks wrong, at least in my case in the middle of a park.

1 minute ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I just wonder though does it give them the IP along with the UCP/character name or does it only display IPs? In any case, yes I fully agree with this suggestion (for other reasons tbh, I use Spotify and it's a pain in the ass to fixr everytime I enter a business).

Only the IP, but well, as someone who owned a radio station you can just guess it, when a new IP pops up at the same time a character walks into your business, you know

But yeah, the command to permanently turn off the connection to stations would be useful for more reasons

36 minutes ago, Mitch said:

As a station owner and host myself, here's my input on this; (I am fine with a command to permantly disable radios for users, fyi) 

This cannot be fixed and it shouldn't, why? Security for ourselves. We need to flag and monitor incoming connections, this is how we provide a service to our users. It's not a shocking revalation, this is how the internet works, you connect to something, you need to send your IP, unless your using a VPN. 

Radio hosts need this to monitor and track user growth and listener analytics. We cannot 'hack' or track you down to your home address, that's insane, this is the information I get when a user connects to my service. We also need IPs to track any malicious behaviour, such as bots, swarms and or DDoS attacks so we can mitigate it properly. 

7265094ab7.png

I am only requesting the command to permanently disable radio connections! I'm aware of the rest!

I'm for this suggestion. Alternatively, they could alter how radio works, so that it runs through the server, and then sends it to the player, but it'd be an extra layer of work for the server to handle, so I don't see this solution working out, as the server would essentially have to stream all content to all players listening to music.

Totally agree on this, however I do like to listen some music which I know are safe to use, in my case Slam FM which is a official dutch radio station.

Why not let the user decide by command when to turn off.

So make a sort off settings dialog where you can choose to disable and enable it. But also give the option to disable streams by other players, and allow streams by yourself.

Just spitting out a idea as a addition to this thread 😉

I have a solution for you. Kinda?

Instead of making a player join the radio as soon as they enter the interior. Make a command /joinradio. Give a pop up message to the player when they enter the interior and if there is music playing.

"Radio is playing in this interior. /joinradio to hear it".

That way, at least, the owner of the station won't know which IP belongs to which character. And that is, from what I understand, what you are trying to avoid.