A way to permanently turn off the radio, as to stop leaking your IP everywhere

Kappaurel

I'll skip the format in this one.

I don't know how many of you are aware, but every time you enter in a place where there is a radio station playing (or go by a boombox, whenever you connect to a radio station really), you are basically displaying your IP to the owner of said XMR Station. This may be a privacy concern for some, justified if you ask me. I don't lose my head over it, but... someone may not like it.

The thing is easy, make a command that in a proper permanent way shuts down your connection to radios (No, /fixr is not good enough, many times you have radio off, you relog, or enter a place and you connect to the station)

That'd be it. Thanks.

Edited by Kappaurel
  • Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, Anders said:

Why though? You connect to the server with your IP, to steam, to rockstar club using your IP. 

Yes, I decide to give my IP to

- Steam, which has 120 million active players

- Rockstar Club, which has over 100 million members

- This server, which has thousands of players, which is under a company I know the name of, led by a person we all know (Nervous), who I can "trust" to handle our data properly to avoid trouble for himself.

And that's my decision, same as I know all admins and support members know my IP when I post in this forum, but once again, they are under the server and the point above applies.

Now, I do not decide to give my IP to the random person who owns XMR Station 247 (random example) which is being played inside... The Red Tiger (random business name). Once again, I personally don't mind it too much, but some people may.

Edited by Kappaurel
1 minute ago, Yoak said:

if this is true then yes, fix this shit

Let's make this clear, there is no fix other than the command which would give you the ability to permanently turn off your radio in game and not listen to any radio station, as long as I know.

When you connect to the radio station, they will see your IP no matter what

As a station owner and host myself, here's my input on this; (I am fine with a command to permantly disable radios for users, fyi) 

This cannot be fixed and it shouldn't, why? Security for ourselves. We need to flag and monitor incoming connections, this is how we provide a service to our users. It's not a shocking revalation, this is how the internet works, you connect to something, you need to send your IP, unless your using a VPN. 

Radio hosts need this to monitor and track user growth and listener analytics. We cannot 'hack' or track you down to your home address, that's insane, this is the information I get when a user connects to my service. We also need IPs to track any malicious behaviour, such as bots, swarms and or DDoS attacks so we can mitigate it properly. 

7265094ab7.png

Edited by Mitch