2) Powergaming - Amendment/Confirmation Regarding Script Fights.

How Should Script Fights be Initiated?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, LizziePup said:

I'm slightly more on the side of confirmation of a fight starting, since I prefer RPed out fights to script ones, but I'm honestly on the same side that I'd take either as long as there's a definitive answer on which is the 'right' way to go. 

My general thoughts on this to a T.  I prefer roleplayed fights over script fights.  I've done both, but roleplaying requires both parties being able to take an L.  I'm biased, however, because I come from a lot of games that are based on a roll system where if one player rolls higher than the other, they succeed in their attack and vice versa.

This isn't even a question if the server wants to be heavy roleplay.

If you clearly get the drop on someone, that can still easily be roleplayed and the person getting the hit from behind or getting surrounded will just have to roleplay accordingly. It's genuinely sad to see people saying they prefer script. You're on a roleplay server, tough luck.

Basically as LizziePup said, confirmation that a fight is starting is most likely the better idea. A lot of people (not only on this server, and even on other games) base all their strategy around the fact that the other person is typing, and can't easily cancel to then flee or defend themselves. It's a bit cheesy ^^' 

Agreement on how the fight is gonna go down and then either emoting or using the script.

Emote Fight - Although it can be more fun and have unexpected changes if you use things like /flipcoin, 9/10 it lasts a long time which not everybody has time for.

Script Fight - Quick and simple. But people can just button mash thus making it not that enjoyable.

Edited by Jura

It it less of a powergaming issue and more of a common courtesy one.

In most of the fights I've been in, I've emoted swinging first. However, I do not hit them script-wise until they react to my punch with a /me. Once they emote, then it's on like Donkey Kong. Some of the other fights I've been in, there is a strong play to win attitude with my opponent. I'll be half-way through a reactionary emote and they have already punched me near to death. I firmly believe that doing an emote then immediately getting into a script fight without letting the other churn out a single retaliation emote is scummy - quite honestly it's a breach of common courtesy. Unless the emote specifically stated the attack was done out of surprise, then this shouldn't be allowed. I vote mutual consent!!!

• Upvote 1

I do agree that there should be a general guideline as long as people are allowed to use the alternative if both parties agree.

It will never be possible to only role-play brawls and shootouts. That would take the surprise element out of everything, it would be much more dull and also give birth to way too many disagreements. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to bump this again as the vague nature of the PG'ing rule has led to yet another weird situation:

Both reported players didn't receive punishments as the handling admin didn't deem their actions powergaming.

They did indeed give you plenty of time, having seen relatively normal speed out of you from the earlier interaction, and while Esteban's emote was fairly subpar and it would be better for roleplay if all parties at least got one emote out, ultimately there is no actual rule break here. Fights are unfair, especially two on one. No powergame rule is broken here since it's not actually required by the rules to type something out for this situation, and while the roleplay may not have been top tier, it's ultimately an unfair fight that your character picked. That said, @Goonbagit would be nice to see more than '/me rushes'.

While in THIS report's conclusion...

Henrik Aslanyan was punished for emoting and using script-fighting to down his opponent in the same nature as both Ramos and Haddad.

Escalation looks all good to me, the only problem here is how the fight took place. Script-punching someone until they are wounded with no roleplay is powergaming. It doesn't take character attributes (age, weight, muscle, whatever) into account and it's just a race to see who can click LMB the most. 

It's obvious there's no defined rule on how a fight should be started under the powergaming rule and it leads to silly situations like this where two admins are directly contradicting each other on separate reports. If we go with Shagglehod's conclusion, Aslanyan should be in the clear. If we go with delanto's, both Ramos and Haddad would be warned, so which is it? 

Address specifically how a fist-fight should be initiated in the rules.

Come on management, it's been years at this point, let's actually fix this.

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST
  • Upvote 1