2) Powergaming - Amendment/Confirmation Regarding Script Fights.

How Should Script Fights be Initiated?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This has been a topic of argument for literal years and I think it's time for staff/management to make a change to provide confirmation on how script fights should be initiated.

We've all seen players punished for initiating a brawl with a single emote and no consent from either party involved, we've also seen players allowed to follow through and initiate a brawl like the first example without punishment, so what's allowed and what isn't? Some rules I can understand admin discretion but I'm sure we can all agree that fights and how they're supposed to start are extremely muddy and overall confusing when it comes to what is and what isn't allowed. 

personally believe multi-party brawls and premeditated assaults - like shootouts - should only require a single emote before players allow the script to take over and fight with melee. I'll provide a few rough examples of what would be acceptable and why I feel so;

Your character and a few of his friends enter a bar, spot a group of men from the other night who had harassed the partner of one of your clique and decide to confront them. 

You exchange words, the argument gets heated between both parties and it's obvious a fight's about to start.

* John Doe checks over his shoulder, the gesture being used to mask a sucker punch directed towards Mr X.

This would lead to John Doe - you or one of the group in this example - punching the desired player and a brawl commencing. The assaulted party should have expected some form of retaliation from the rising intensity of the argument and the initial situation that started the argument, using esc to close out of the text-box to not get caught off-guard or keeping himself safe and off to the side. De-escalation obviously being an option here but not in this example for obvious reasons.

Your character and his friend are riding together in their car when they notice a rival casually strolling down the street, you both decide you want to teach this guy a lesson and send a message to him and who he associates with. You circle the block, pulling up beside him on the sidewalk. 

* John Doe swings the door of the vehicle open, scrambling from inside. He charges for Mr X, blindly swinging with a barrage of overhand punches.

Like the above example, this would lead to the player punching "Mr X" and initiating a script fight, this would once again be acceptable as not only does it give the poor Mr X the chance to fight back but also the chance to run if he feels this isn't a fight he could win. I'd consider that fair.

TL:DR - Brawls and any other form of melee combat should be conducted in the same way a shootout would, emote to action. If NOT possible or agreed on by stuff/management, I'd want staff to confirm directly in the powergaming section of the rules what is and what isn't allowed and how script brawls/fights SHOULD be initiated in an an environment that isn't "intimate" - AKA, in public against foreign parties, not people within your own faction as an example.

Edit - I'll attach a poll to the topic. This isn't to gauge interest in the topic to use as a "hey the community really wants this change so it must happen" but more to see if people agree or not. I expect people voting to state why they agree and/or disagree so we can have a fair and balanced POV on how people feel about the issue.

Edit 2 - I'll link this suggestion here as it's very much connected to a suggestion of this type;

21/11/2012 - Edit 3: Because some people don't seem to understand which route I'd like melee to take, I'll write it out in bold and we can treat this as a TL:DR.

SCRIPT FIGHTS - IN MY OPINION - SHOULD ONLY REQUIRE A SINGLE FAIRLY DETAILED EMOTE BEFORE THE ATTACKING PARTY IS ALLOWED TO START PUNCHING - THINK HOW SHOOTOUTS CURRENTLY WORK BUT OBVIOUSLY FOR MELEE.

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST
  • Upvote 1

consent on whether to brawl or emote fight. getting tired of the "/me swings at x" bullshit chunking you to half health before you close out of your textbox, even if your character's able or ready to retaliate, or even tackling or trying to put somebody in a hold. vast improvement, this is a heavy roleplay server, shouldn't give the advantage to whoever's planning on roleplaying the least and clicking their mouse the most

8 hours ago, AlphaBatal said:

consent on whether to brawl or emote fight. getting tired of the "/me swings at x" bullshit chunking you to half health before you close out of your textbox, even if your character's able or ready to retaliate, or even tackling or trying to put somebody in a hold. vast improvement, this is a heavy roleplay server, shouldn't give the advantage to whoever's planning on roleplaying the least and clicking their mouse the most

How would you go around playing out my second example?

On 8/7/2021 at 7:00 AM, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Your character and his friend are riding together in their car when they notice a rival casually strolling down the street, you both decide you want to teach this guy a lesson and send a message to him and who he associates with. You circle the block, pulling up beside him on the sidewalk. 

* John Doe swings the door of the vehicle open, scrambling from inside. He charges for Mr X, blindly swinging with a barrage of overhand punches.

10 hours ago, AlphaBatal said:

oh sure because if you get attacked in real life you get askef whether you want to proceed or not. honestly the entire tHiS iS a HeaVy RoLePlAy sErVer card is literally the worst argument you can pull. there's not a single reason for anybody to ask you for consent to fight, period.

• Upvote 1
On 8/7/2021 at 9:00 AM, BINGBONGGHOST said:

this example i can work with, despite hitting me with the big "/me jumps out of his car with his knife and points it at x's neck" vibes. should emotes really describe three separate actions in one neatly pastable emote, or should they be split into digestable chunks like every other non-fight initiating emote is. yes, its better than just doing everything scriptwise, dropping an emote of swinging at somebody and then making what could be a cool squabble and a fun bit of roleplay into nothing more than just a fest of two sweats clicking their mice and throwing the dice on who'd win. and if that's what they want to do, let them, but don't make it the norm. script shouldn't take precedence over roleplay at any point, if it does, you're doing it wrong

4 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

oh sure because if you get attacked in real life you get askef whether you want to proceed or not. honestly the entire tHiS iS a HeaVy RoLePlAy sErVer card is literally the worst argument you can pull. there's not a single reason for anybody to ask you for consent to fight, period.

difference here is, people size you up and not everybody's built the same. i don't get attacked in real life, and every time i have, i havent had an arbitrary ticker over my head telling me how many whiffed 11-damage punches i can take before falling helpless on the floor. and trust me, while wrestling and bringing people down in real life is a terribly valid tactic, with many untrained, aggressive people being unable to recompose themselves after losing their footing, no such thing on here exists. we're forced to deal with a old timey bare-knuckle boxing mechanic being a deciding factor in our roleplay.

trying to say that preferring roleplay on a roleplay server to gta:online tier script fights is the worst argument i can pull is bad optics for you, dude. im here to roleplay, apparently you are too. i get it, you want to just paste an emote and start left-clicking someone to get your character's aggression across but the fact that there's absolutely 0 deviation in character strength, combat ability and who you're picking fights with leaves the advantage with whoever's roleplaying the least.

/b brawl?
/b ye

simple as that. otherwise, keep fights as roleplay. you have no idea how many situations ive seen turn to trash once roleplay's thrown out of the window and people decide to resort to script means to get their point across, running in circles, blatantly disregarding attempts at being tackled/held down and sprinting along like chickens. if three people surround you, being able to initiate a script brawl shouldn't be your carte blanche to do whatever you want. they can grab, wrestle and hold you down, they're three surrounding you, you're one being surrounded and the script shouldn't be your guardian angel

13 minutes ago, AlphaBatal said:

difference here is, people size you up and not everybody's built the same. i don't get attacked in real life, and every time i have, i havent had an arbitrary ticker over my head telling me how many whiffed 11-damage punches i can take before falling helpless on the floor. and trust me, while wrestling and bringing people down in real life is a terribly valid tactic, with many untrained, aggressive people being unable to recompose themselves after losing their footing, no such thing on here exists. we're forced to deal with a old timey bare-knuckle boxing mechanic being a deciding factor in our roleplay.

trying to say that preferring roleplay on a roleplay server to gta:online tier script fights is the worst argument i can pull is bad optics for you, dude. im here to roleplay, apparently you are too. i get it, you want to just paste an emote and start left-clicking someone to get your character's aggression across but the fact that there's absolutely 0 deviation in character strength, combat ability and who you're picking fights with leaves the advantage with whoever's roleplaying the least.

/b brawl?
/b ye

simple as that. otherwise, keep fights as roleplay. you have no idea how many situations ive seen turn to trash once roleplay's thrown out of the window and people decide to resort to script means to get their point across, running in circles, blatantly disregarding attempts at being tackled/held down and sprinting along like chickens. if three people surround you, being able to initiate a script brawl shouldn't be your carte blanche to do whatever you want. they can grab, wrestle and hold you down, they're three surrounding you, you're one being surrounded and the script shouldn't be your guardian angel

I mean I honestly can't agree with you. Sure, all of those things matter but very often you simply lose the fights (irl) due to the fact that somebody catches you off guard and takes the chance. There's nothing wrong with roleplaying it this way here, and that's honestly what matters. Roleplaying fights will never be a feasible replacement, because it usually ends up with some stupid RNG shit and people throwing dices to figure out who won or lost. Just no.

all I want is for the rules to confirm how to do it, really. I get mixed information about this.

some people say you have to wait for the opponent's /me to your /me in melee combat, others say you can just /me attempt to punch, and go at it in script. I still dunno which way is right or wrong because the rules aren't specific about it.

I do prefer to do it through script though, emote combats take forever otherwise. but yea, I can see pros and cons for both. either way, wish the rules were specific about how to handle melee combat RP.

Edited by Tammm
  • 1 month later...
On 8/20/2021 at 3:46 PM, Tammm said:

all I want is for the rules to confirm how to do it, really. I get mixed information about this.

some people say you have to wait for the opponent's /me to your /me in melee combat, others say you can just /me attempt to punch, and go at it in script. I still dunno which way is right or wrong because the rules aren't specific about it.

I do prefer to do it through script though, emote combats take forever otherwise. but yea, I can see pros and cons for both. either way, wish the rules were specific about how to handle melee combat RP.

Exactly. 

Some players are A-jailed for powergaming after emoting and starting a script-fight while staff/support do the same and it's considered fine - I don't want to know what people prefer, I want to know explicitly from staff or management how a spontaneous hand-to-hand/melee fight should be initiated and have that defined clearly in the rules so all players are on the same page.