/attributes pls

Aquila

3 minutes ago, Shaderz said:

I'd argue that specific height and weight shouldn't be mentioned. I'm not sure about you guys, but unless I know the person, I find it extremely difficult to get either their height or weight correct in person. If they are, let's say, 180cm (5'9"), I can probably guess they're somewhere between 177-183cm (5'8"-6'0"), but that's it. The latter is ideally what should be on a character's /attributes, similar to the age system. The same applies to weight. It might not be that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but there may be certain circumstances where height and weight can make a difference (i.e. a victim describing a suspect to the police).

"Ma'am, can you describe the suspect who stole your handbag?"

"Yes sir, he was 180cm tall - or five foot nine, and he weighed fourteen stone. He was exactly thirty nine years of age."

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Shaderz said:

I'd argue that specific height and weight shouldn't be mentioned. I'm not sure about you guys, but unless I know the person, I find it extremely difficult to get either their height or weight correct in person. If they are, let's say, 180cm (5'9"), I can probably guess they're somewhere between 177-183cm (5'8"-6'0"), but that's it. The latter is ideally what should be on a character's /attributes, similar to the age system. The same applies to weight. It might not be that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but there may be certain circumstances where height and weight can make a difference (i.e. a victim describing a suspect to the police).

I'm going to be that pedantic person and say 180CM is really more 5'11, 5'9 is about 175CM. There's a joke somewhere about two inches making a difference.

Anyway I completely agree with you, it should be more of an estimate, I think of attributes as a glance thing, the average person looking at another person is not going to get it accurate all the time and for that reason players should be encouraged to make it more vague.

1 hour ago, Shaderz said:

I agree, I can't tell when someone's 5ft10 or 6ft0 a lot of the time. I've even been part of conversations when Person A can easily tell that Person B is quite tall, but then asks for their height and gets surprised when Person B gives them figures.

Height shouldn't be measured in centimetres because that's way too accurate, and as we all know, height is never the exact same every day. The European measurement system shouldn't really apply in /attributes. With weight, I can never personally tell how much someone weighs, and I find it fascinating that Americans can give rough estimates in pounds of how much someone weighs. I know someone who can guess almost accurately how much someone weighs in stone, pounds, and kilograms, but I feel that's a rare party trick that not everyone is capable of doing.

I've stopped giving height and weight measurements completely in my /attributes (on most of my characters) and instead mentioned their build and whether they're above or below average height. I'm aware that this is semi-contradictory to my original post. Would be interesting if height and weight were separate in /attributes (like age), and had a range system to it too.

The only thing that I'd like to see when it comes to attributes is that people at least roleplay according to what they say they look like, if that's done and adhered to? Fuck it, people can be Cardi B or Dwayne Johnson as far as I'm concerned.

I.E: If a dude has "John Doe is a 5"9 tall male with bulking muscles and a well taken care face with a very strong German accent", he should also be actually roleplaying working out and roleplay taking care of himself, not just get on and try to get as much ERP as he can without ever actually doing actions that would make sense for his look, like going for a run or actually signing up and roleplaying at a certain gym, there's nothing that pisses me off more than seeing a guy put "he'd be ripped cause he works out four times a week". Sure, this can be NPCed and all, but have at least some of it happen in game so it makes some bit of sense.

Since we're on the topic of attributes, putting in perfume/fragrance names in your attributes is absolutely retarded and contributes nothing. I don't know what the fuck Dior Sauvage or Chanel No. 5 smells like. I don't have a fucking global cologne collection next to my desk that I can use as reference for what your character smells like.

Edited by TinPan
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, HaminLord said:

The only thing that I'd like to see when it comes to attributes is that people at least roleplay according to what they say they look like, if that's done and adhered to? Fuck it, people can be Cardi B or Dwayne Johnson as far as I'm concerned.

I.E: If a dude has "John Doe is a 5"9 tall male with bulking muscles and a well taken care face with a very strong German accent", he should also be actually roleplaying working out and roleplay taking care of himself, not just get on and try to get as much ERP as he can without ever actually doing actions that would make sense for his look, like going for a run or actually signing up and roleplaying at a certain gym, there's nothing that pisses me off more than seeing a guy put "he'd be ripped cause he works out four times a week". Sure, this can be NPCed and all, but have at least some of it happen in game so it makes some bit of sense.

This. I mean I can't say much as my character's attributes states she has an obvious B.B.L. I agree that height and weight are really not important and if it happens to be at a significant size then I would just describe it rather than write a missing person's description.  It should be as universally close to what others would see rather than what the reader forces us to know I.E perfume brands, backgrounds, and how sassy or mean this character apparently is. 

Edited by Muerta