Auto /me when someones phone is ringing

champion7

28 minutes ago, superb_starling said:

I'm pointing out that "it opens up a tiny risk people might break a rule that already exists" isn't a valid counter argument. If you don't care about accessibility, I suppose that's for you to live with. 

Okay, so in your mind every single sound in the game should be translated to text somehow? "/dolong A siren can be heard." spamming throughout an area where a cop or paramedic passes through with lights and sirens? What about blind people? Are we going to make everything visual a sound? I'm sorry, but there's accessibility and there's just plain impossible. A sound can be heard, not seen, an ame or amy can only be seen. The solution here is a sound, not a text that you only see when your camera happens to be turned to the center of the sound. In a group of people that are close together it would be hard to determine who exactly the sound is originating from. I refer you to my previous statement:

36 minutes ago, Triple Seven said:

[...] when a phone isn't on silent or vibrate, it should just actually ring, because that's what it's doing. Just have it make sound around the character whose phone is ringing. On vibrate or silent it would be absolute forced powergaming/metagaming to have it be noticeable to those around, in whatever way, a vibrating phone in my pocket is not heard by others, not even myself. Hopefully CEF can handle audio in that way with fading volume in a distance, the only thing we have so far is XMR that's just on full blast within the range of a boombox.

Edited by Triple Seven
7 minutes ago, Triple Seven said:

Okay, so in your mind every single sound in the game should be translated to text somehow? "/dolong A siren can be heard." spamming throughout an area where a cop or paramedic passes through with lights and sirens? What about blind people? Are we going to make everything visual a sound? I'm sorry, but there's accessibility and there's just plain impossible

I don't see where I've said that, but thank you for mischaracterizing my position with a not-so-subtle combination of the classic strawman and slippery slope fallacies.

Here, we have a suggestion that addresses a number of issues/shortcomings of the current system - namely, the lack of accurate localization of sound especially in the more crowded areas, and would also provide a welcome benefit in the aspect I've mentioned before. It's also been enriched further with related suggested improvements, for instance the ability to set your phone to vibrate/silent with the appropriate consequences. Yet your counter relies on the thin possibility someone might use it to break a rule that already exists - something that could also be done in many other ways, one of which I've mentioned previously.

I was underlining an additional benefit to an otherwise good suggestion. I'm not sure what your point is.

Edited by superb_starling
1 hour ago, superb_starling said:

I don't see where I've said that, but thank you for mischaracterizing my position with a not-so-subtle combination of the classic strawman and slippery slope fallacies.

Here, we have a suggestion that addresses a number of issues/shortcomings of the current system - namely, the lack of accurate localization of sound especially in the more crowded areas, and would also provide a welcome benefit in the aspect I've mentioned before. It's also been enriched further with related suggested improvements, for instance the ability to set your phone to vibrate/silent with the appropriate consequences. Yet your counter relies on the thin possibility someone might use it to break a rule that already exists - something that could also be done in many other ways, one of which I've mentioned previously.

I was underlining an additional benefit to an otherwise good suggestion. I'm not sure what your point is.

Think my point is rather clear. You don't see sound, this suggestion goes into suggesting to display sound as text, while there must be options in 2021 to have it actually make sound.

Yes my previous response was hyperbole, that much is clear I hope. Your point regarding accessibility by saying there's deaf people and people with inability to play with sound otherwise is going to be aimed at a rather small portion of the community, a portion which shouldn't serve as a standard for the entire community in my opinion. Hence, I'm just underlining we should aim for the best option, not just an option when it comes to a phone rework (as the phones now are laughably outdated, they have literally no smartphone functions, or even phone functions for that matter). And when that option is in place and there's clear need for accessibility concerns, it can be looked into, but it should be additional, not at the core of a system.

• Wuhtah locked this topic