South LS roleplay 😠

Aquila

1 minute ago, Viscaria said:

I had my blind character on a walk in south and she made her way onto Grove Street, she hadn't been around the area much before, and being blind you can imagine that she has struggles when it comes to recognizing where she is. She was met with nothing but aggression, a guy stating she was a spy, called ugly and to never come back, so well... she didn't.

Had a similar experience with my deaf character, they thought I was throwing up gangsigns when I was speaking in sign language. Almost died!

• Applaud 1
2 hours ago, EMC said:

I personally find it hard seeing people gunned down on street corners, then I see the same dudes at the same corner a few days later.

All south LS rp seems to be is shoot first post passive aggressive forum report later.

If you forced CKs the area would literally be a ghost town.

Another issue I've found, is that there is a lot of powergaming. People seem to be like, "I'm going to attack this guy" OOCly in their head and then end up just posting random chat messages that make no sense because their no responding to the other players messages, just trying to talk them into a fight?

Simple example:

Guy 1: "Why did you do that"

Guy 2: "I didnt"

Guy 1: "You better tell me why you did that bro"

*Guy 1 attacks guy 2*

I understand there are a lot of language barriers, but it's not an excuse. Half the time I have people do shit like "/me takes off", and because I speak English I stand there thinking that their running away or 'taking off' but no apparently that means they just start attacking you.

Again, it seems that people just want to fulfil this ridiculous OOC desires instead of actively writing a character biography. These people need to take a long hard look at the purpose of their character's existence.

I haven't played a southside character in over a year but in the two times I gave a it a shot this as been my experience: Start out alright with a few people doing our thing in a block that is entirely abandoned. Few days go by and some randoms show up claiming it's they're turf and proceed to just repeat kill us until we quit. Now some of you might say "Oh well it's obvious it was your mistake setting up on someone else's turf" but that isn't exactly the case. Both times we'd check the block a week in advance, we wouldn't have issues for days. Both times we used areas that were almost entirely abandoned and the locals we did see (Including gangs) we got along with. Regardless eventually a group of 4 or 5 would show up claiming our block and would proceed to gun us down. 

I do not believe my experience is uncommon and combined with a horrible housing market I think it discourages most possible quality factions from springing up there and bringing some stability. Normally I'm not for admins micromanaging but I think IFM needs to do something about the south side. Free up properties and supervise the RP down there until some more people can plant their roots and bring stability. I think if we get a few more quality factions in control down there we'd see a positive difference.

6 hours ago, Quackhead said:

Just because someone cat calls females doesn't mean that the roleplay is bad. 

I understand that people aren't supposed to be erping on teenage characters, and I'm not against that. However, think back to when you were a teenager and think about how you or the other teenagers around you behaved. Teenagers aren't exactly the best behaved people on earth especially in lower to middle class areas. 

I've RPed in Little Seoul for some time now and the immersion is good. South Los Santos isn't supposed to be like Little Seoul, it's two totally different places both culturally and crime rate wise. Life in South Los Santos is meant to be more fast paced and geared toward violence.

I have to strongly disagree because if you actually read what you just wrote. You actually described what people in 'the hood' actually do in real life. So how can you say it is poor portrayal?

I've been roleplaying in South Los Santos for some time now, hell, if you click on my profile and look through my activity you can see majority of my roleplay is based around South Los Santos' gang roleplay.

I understand the opinions that some of you may have about how you feel about South Los roleplay quality. Honestly, I haven't even gone through all of the responses on the thread and I don't intend to, but I couldn't skim through this thread without leaving my input on the subject.

My point of view on South Los Santos is possibly biased maybe because I participate in the activity that goes on there and I can say that the roleplay quality in the district isn't even that bad. Why would I say this? Well, for starters we can't just bash the entire South Los community based on interactions with players who do not attempt to be immersive roleplay wise. Tyrone Daquan the character does not represent South Los Santos roleplay alone (lol example). There will be good & bad player interactions any and everywhere on the map, but it's more common in South Los Santos because of the high volume of new players that come here because they know how populated the area is.

From all of the negative feedback I've seen on threads like this it's always about how violent and disorderly it is in South Los Santos: 

[+] Pros / [-] Cons

Violence

[+] Gang & gun culture in the hood changed drastically over the years, I do not know what ideal you're shooting for when it comes to hood roleplay. In my opinion, the culture in game happens to mirror how it is in real life 78% of the time in my experiences.

[+] I know it may seem excessive, but it's the hood. Think of it like this, if the hood was all peachy and civilian friendly, could it really be considered the hood or a nice suburb? The people you meet in the hood aren't always friendly. 

[-] In my experience of certain factions, there's never a stopping point to roleplay during wars. It's like factions that get into wars lack in-depth gang war roleplay. It's a rinse & repeat cycle that dries out the concept of war. It's almost always attack -> log offline during cooldown -> log back online to attack and then log back off. I rarely ever see any roleplay the toll a war takes on someone as a person rather than as a gang soldier. For example, you attack and then you make it home and your mom wants to go to church on Sunday and you refuse to go out of fear of your life. Something more of that nature rather than the typical 'log on to get into action' RP. This is way too common amongst factions.

[-] Please stop doing hits and robberies on dirt bikes, Los Santos is not Brazil.

Portrayal

[+] Everyone has this ideal vision that a South Los Santos hood is supposed to be filled with activity like people playing football or basketball on the daily. However, they fail to realize that we are in the social media era. It's very rare to see kids playing outside nowadays in the suburbs and even the hood. In today's era, the influence of gun violence and being the hood's next biggest savage is what majority of the kids around it aspire to become. I think this is why majority of the South Los community tends to pick teenager characters to play as because it's where you'll find the most action roleplay in the hood.

[-] However, just because I side with the South Los community does not mean that I fully side with some of the roleplay that takes place there. I'm going to voice my opinion on this as unbiased as I can. I'm not a fan of /maskname dirt bike warriors that go around doing hits and robbing people, it's an immersion breaker that takes the fun out of the realism that our characters are designed to create. 

[-] I am not a fan of using real life gangs for Grand Theft Auto World factions rather than a made up homegrown gang (example: Segundo Village Swan Bloods, Rancho 13, Hillside 13, Main Street Neighborhood Crip etc). I feel as if people make real life LA gangs in LS gangs they try to piggyback off of real life history to give themselves a reason to have beef with another faction out of the gate. And when I say made up gangs, I'm not saying a completely made up gang like Grove Street Families or anything like that, I mean a made up set of a gang. A lot of players get away with this (83 Hoover Criminals, Front Street Watts Crip, 51 Trouble Gangster Crip) when it comes to making groups and it honestly takes away from the originality that South Los lore is supposed to have.

Effort

- I just read what you wrote and I'd have to say I agree with some of the points you made. However, I'd like to think that the reason why there is no one committed to roleplaying a cultured community in South Los Santos is because there's not enough people putting the effort in. Not saying that it will be easy because it's not supposed to be the easiest thing to pull off.

- I believe in order to have a successful civilian presence in South Los Santos (community wise), the player participating in the community roleplay should have the proper drive and motivation to keep it going no matter whatever may happen to their character. It's not supposed to be easy growing up in the hood, you might get robbed, assaulted or killed. It's not supposed to be the nicest place on earth. The mentality that you're supposed to have for your character is that you're growing up in these areas with all of this crime and that it can happen to you at any moment unless you keep yourself occupied with positivity. 

The Civilian RP Critics

I simply wrote all of this down just because I won't be replying to this thread again. Some of the same people trying to critique how the hood is roleplayed have never even lived in the hood let alone went to a hood in LA. And I'm not saying this to criticize anyone because living in the hood and going to the hood is not something to gloat about, so please spare me of any pending "Discord banger" stamps. 

- Some of the same roleplayers that are saying "there's too much robbery, gunplay and violence so it's poor portrayal" aren't really giving a clear insight on how this is bad if the hood is consistently doing 'hood shit'. People in the South Los community that know of me know that I regularly faction hop to gain an experience with each group and in my personal experiences I do not see anything wrong with how some groups roleplay.

Even though I'm likely to never read your responses, please explain to me how South Los Santos should be roleplayed then portrayal wise because I'm only seeing that murder, sex, robberies and drugs is what's driving the quality of South Los downhill. I'm not seeing how or why. Crimes and gangbanging is apparently the bread & butter of illegal hood RP and it's common where the hood is based. I'm not understanding how crime, unruly behavior and being pressed by gang members isn't an accurate portrayal of South Central LA.

@Vash Baldeus

Could you care to explain for the players that want to know what your idea of how South Los roleplay is supposed to be? 

This what I'm taking from your responses.

@Harbinger You've been roleplaying homeless and I've been to the areas you named off. I'm not gonna lie but I agree that the over aggression of gang roleplay tends to stem from those areas in an unrealistic over the top manner. I think this is simply because some of the players in those areas that you mentioned are not fully aware of how a South Los Angeles gang operates in an area. Some of them research American gangs and try to apply it in game, but fail to realize that the regions around the USA are all different in their own right, culturally and structurally.

@sensual You only named off what happens in the hood on the regular. It's South Los Santos based on RL South LA, the crime rate is supposed to be high in this area specifically. I think what you're trying to aim for is how and why the character doing the crime is doing it rather than "oh crime happens and it's poo.." Just because crime happens here doesn't mean it's bad portrayal.

@Vash Baldeus I'd like to start off by saying that motorcycle bandits and people who do not understand the culture but are portraying it are indeed a problem and a bad look. However, about that story with the "gang bangers" harassing the girls at the dealership? That's completely IC as well as the fights that one group may have with one another and the knife pull situation. I'm sorry to tell you this, but interactions like that can carry on in real life that way and can be as crazy as you described it. I don't think your gripe is the portrayal of the culture rather than the culture of the ghetto itself. Your perspective on some of these 'situations' is skewed from the perspective of being a regular everyday civilian. I'm going to break the situations down like this:

In the eyes of an unruly individual from the ghetto:

Reveal hidden contents

Girls At Dealership
- You see some fine girls while having an outing at a dealership, you go over to try and get the number and instead get turned down. As an insecure individual you naturally either get mad or continue to harass the female until she either gives in, call the police or get rowdy. You're either going to slap this lady, disrespect this female even further or just walk away. This deeply insecure behavior is regular in the hood culture that you are saying is portrayed incorrect. I'm not saying that this is what to be expected from every individual, but it is common. In LA culture it's simply called 'bleeding a bitch', you make the girls feel uncomfortable and that makes you feel comfortable. This is regular and most likely why you tend to see females who come from these areas and get harassed like the girls at the dealership take up hostile behavior toward these individuals (AKA match energies) because they know how to handle individuals who act like that.

Racism Card

- You described that some of the characters you've interacted with throw out that you are being racist toward them. This is common and uncommon at the same time in the hood. Certain individuals that say this may be joking while others are dead serious. Growing up in the hood, your natural instinct of what you learned growing up is to love your race and about how your race invented this and founded that. This can naturally cause bigotry and that's not only for hood culture, but for any culture in the world. If you grow up going to a primarily black school with black teachers, then come home to your black family in a neighborhood surrounded by other black people, any and everything outside of the culture you grew up in is foreign to what you know. 

Your character might've said something that triggered the individual because he couldn't understand what you meant ICly.

Looking For Trouble

- Looking for trouble is a common occurrence when having an outing. It's an offense and defense mechanism for gang members and regular hood civilians alike. Some people go out to events with a chip on a shoulder while some go there thinking negative and hoping that nothing happens. Hoods that beef heavy are very likely to fight in public no matter where they are at. The ghetto isn't gangsters with discipline, a set of rules and a code. The code of the streets went out of the window long ago. Nowadays, the gang culture in the United States as a whole is savagery over brawn over brains. Status and reputation (clout) is what some of these individuals aim for while others just want to survive. There's actually a recent example of this with LA gang members fighting at an amusement park. 

On 8/19/2021 at 9:36 AM, Vash Baldeus said:

Because majority of my encounters with Players, who are roleplaying a character from South LS, in some manner become hostile after being asked to be patient or not to do something. On my main character I run a car dealership, with specific set of rules established (which are: Do not drive into the lot unless sign says otherwise or you have permission & wait in line patiently). Both rules do not apply to players from South LS, they come in, see no one approach while I am busy with another customer they shout "who run dis' bish" (paraphrasing here), when asked to wait they refuse and become hostile.

"Once incident I recall from dealing with a hood character which was very recent, the guy rides his Sanchez into the lot, all this while I am speaking to another person. I ask him to drive out, the guy moves onto using slurs and refusing to drive out, before driving out he kicks my character while riding out, not to mention kicks one of the cars head lights after which I call 911. By the time cops arrive he left, several minutes pass he comes back, this time at the entrance to the lot proceeds to toss slurs at my character, customers get involved, fist fight, he pulls a knife mid fight, gets shot dead."

"Another incident that took place last week, I am speaking to a customer at the lot while two other females are looking at cars three guys clearly hood characters arrive. I noticed they stuck to those two girls (who were wearing sports bra's as they were on a jog), I approach them after I was done with the customer. They keep trying to get phone number, from the girls behavior I figured as much they are not okay with this. One of the guys wanted to buy a car, he was denied on basis of his friend harassing two other customers."

So after what I written above, majority of my encounters were somehow ending with them causing trouble or refusing to hear the word no. Most of the time, during these encounters they toss the racism card which never works, nothing to do with your skin color friend, it is your attitude that caused this response. Majority of the time they are looking for trouble, even at clubs I notice they start brawls with other factions or guys for petty things.

They want to be taken seriously, try to change the attitude of your characters and escalate when it is actually legitimate, not just fist fight I'll pull a knife.

I could relate to incidents decribed here, having a shop right next to the lot. I often seen altercations among teens there. People, dealership isn't rp hub, it's a car shop.

This isn't exclusive to car dealerships, but perhaps tattoo parlors as well. A band of teens stormed into mine once asking for EBK tattoo. Mind you there were other people inside, two of them visibly armed. These guys simply insulted everyone yelling EBK. They even stole a gumball machine before they left. JUST BECAUSE SOME BUSINESS IS OPENED DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN GO THERE CAUSING TROUBLES.

• Upvote 1

The issue is that most gang RP, which is the dominant type of RP in South Central, is insular RP.

If somebody RP's a member of the local neighborhood that a gang is set in, you'll be given solid RP as long as your character acts and looks like they're the kind of socio-economic class that would stay there and doesn't act like a 90's stereotype. There's exceptions of course, but none of that really applies to the main demographic of characters that likely come down there.

When you're an impoverished teenager that's either a minority on a macro-scale, usually Hispanic or African-American, or a minority in their given neighborhood, usually Caucasians and Asian-Americans, that's generally vengeful, leans towards borderline sociopathic behavior due to how gangs often raise kids and teens to act in that manner and likely has some kind of childhood trauma due to the very nature of the demographics that gangs prey upon for recruitment, of course the reaction is going to be pretty volatile when a character that they don't know and seems radically different to them and everybody else in his neighborhood, tries engaging an interaction. 

It's hard to portray a paranoid scumbag with various personality defects, without generally being a total shithead IC.