South LS roleplay 😠

Aquila

1 hour ago, CertifiedKiller said:

I think there's an OOC stigma around south LS where people who aren't criminal role-players say "Oh that place, it's just where you go to get robbed by criminals since only criminals RP there."

think what's happening is a sort of weird filter effect. The people that I sell borrowed cars to have a pretty solid understanding that our business continues only so long as they don't bring heat (like, say, by killing people they're robbing, and keeping robberies/muggings minimized in contrast to other opportunities). There's good roleplayers in South LS, and damn good organized crime. Good enough, in fact, that I'd wager they're filtering out the bad roleplayers from their territory.

So you've got these wannabe gangbangers that can't make it in South LS, acting like they're just expanding their influence instead or just trying to get their ten second cliche thrills somewhere else, in places like Mirror Park, Vinewood, and even Blaine County. Civilian roleplayers get exposed to this, and trusting the word of lamebangers that can only pretend they have some involvement with South LS, civilians begin thinking that this detached tumor of bad roleplay is a legitimate example of what can be found in South LS.

It works the other way too - can't expect South LS gangs and criminals organizations to come out from South LS and represent their quality, because the lamebanger population is constantly bleeding in, trying to get their own turf.

It's like a shitty secret mirror, where both sides think they can see the other side, but instead they're just seeing them and the lamebangers/crimegrinders that can't really set up on either side permanently.

• Upvote 3
12 hours ago, DeadPlaya said:

People portray real life gangs because these gangs have decades long histories of oppression,  civil unrest, unity but also conflict. It's not just "taking the name from Wikipedia". People take the lingo, the history, the style of attire and the mentality then apply it to the server. All this is a starting point. From then on, whatever happens IC dictates how the faction changes.

That said, I do admit that a lot of street gangs are bland, uninteresting and just reskins of prior factions. Sometimes they even reuse the same thread structure and the RP is more or less the same. That I do not understand, but factions like that should not be the standard. 

From my experience, these types of people (who portray real life gangs) are clearly struggling quite a bit. A lot of the members don't really know how to speak the lingo, and they're generally difficult to understand when they're speaking (I'm not talking about slang, I mean they literally struggle to speak English at all. This isn't the case with the majority, but it's just from what I've experienced myself.

I feel it's much easier to simply roleplay living in an apartment block, with other people who you barely know, and you all experience a struggle and unite to form some kind of clique. That is how you create a genuine gang that you're familiar with. If people make their own gang, they don't have to research and then fail to portray a group properly. They can roleplay something they're experiencing there and then, instead of trying to replicate clips from videos, documentaries, and movies. Hopefully that makes sense.

12 hours ago, Vash Baldeus said:

Because majority of my encounters with Players, who are roleplaying a character from South LS, in some manner become hostile after being asked to be patient or not to do something. On my main character I run a car dealership, with specific set of rules established (which are: Do not drive into the lot unless sign says otherwise or you have permission & wait in line patiently). Both rules do not apply to players from South LS, they come in, see no one approach while I am busy with another customer they shout "who run dis' bish" (paraphrasing here), when asked to wait they refuse and become hostile.

"Once incident I recall from dealing with a hood character which was very recent, the guy rides his Sanchez into the lot, all this while I am speaking to another person. I ask him to drive out, the guy moves onto using slurs and refusing to drive out, before driving out he kicks my character while riding out, not to mention kicks one of the cars head lights after which I call 911. By the time cops arrive he left, several minutes pass he comes back, this time at the entrance to the lot proceeds to toss slurs at my character, customers get involved, fist fight, he pulls a knife mid fight, gets shot dead."

"Another incident that took place last week, I am speaking to a customer at the lot while two other females are looking at cars three guys clearly hood characters arrive. I noticed they stuck to those two girls (who were wearing sports bra's as they were on a jog), I approach them after I was done with the customer. They keep trying to get phone number, from the girls behavior I figured as much they are not okay with this. One of the guys wanted to buy a car, he was denied on basis of his friend harassing two other customers."

So after what I written above, majority of my encounters were somehow ending with them causing trouble or refusing to hear the word no. Most of the time, during these encounters they toss the racism card which never works, nothing to do with your skin color friend, it is your attitude that caused this response. Majority of the time they are looking for trouble, even at clubs I notice they start brawls with other factions or guys for petty things.

They want to be taken seriously, try to change the attitude of your characters and escalate when it is actually legitimate, not just fist fight I'll pull a knife.

See, I can believe that because I've seen unnecessarily hostile behaviour at night venues. It's like these people pick the most negative stereotypes of a disenfranchised American group, and enforce them by messing around and trolling. They're looking for an OOC fight instead of developing genuine characters.

I'd like to start a proper South LS group but it seems like way too much effort right now, and additionally I'll have to keep posting forum complaints just to clean up the region. Nobody wants to go through all that effort, I've already had to omit from posting some complaints.

46 minutes ago, Aquila said:

See, I can believe that because I've seen unnecessarily hostile behaviour at night venues. It's like these people pick the most negative stereotypes of a disenfranchised American group, and enforce them by messing around and trolling. They're looking for an OOC fight instead of developing genuine characters.

I'd like to start a proper South LS group but it seems like way too much effort right now, and additionally I'll have to keep posting forum complaints just to clean up the region. Nobody wants to go through all that effort, I've already had to omit from posting some complaints.

Well, mainly that was my main interaction with that type of player, but occasionally I meet the good ones.

33 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

Well, mainly that was my main interaction with that type of player, but occasionally I meet the good ones.

There are undoubtedly some good characters out there for sure. I've been to a street somewhere in Davis and roleplayed with one character about how the neighbourhood's changed over some years. The conversation was laidback.

But that situation may be heavily influenced by my character's gender. Female characters seem to be greeted with far less hostility, while it's the complete opposite for males. Regardless, civilians in the area shouldn't be subjected to random acts of crime against them, especially if they live in the area. The well-portrayed characters are not a majority in South LS, from what I saw.

Just like Iraqwoo Idlewood and Idlewood Pizza Stacks on LS:RP - whilst not as bad - South LS and it's different areas are hot spot and first stop for a mix of new players, semi-serious roleplayers and trolls. People usually do not know or do not want to know any better and fulfill into stereotype characters with their experience through the Grand Theft Auto games and common media (movies, series, music...).

Naturally, this drives most experienced and motivated roleplayers away from those areas and new players do not improve as they face the "bad" environment on a day to day basis making it seemingly okay/acceptable. And I cannot really blame them for it. There is a lot of things on the server and one has to pick and choose their avenues.

The question is what could we make to encourage people "putting up" with the environment and improving the environment as a whole? Surely guidance and presentation of good examples is one big part to educate people surrounding the type of roleplay, character lingo and general roleplay quality. But it will be a lengthy process and most likely needs more than just that.

8 minutes ago, Quackhead said:

I'd like to start off by saying that motorcycle bandits and people who do not understand the culture but are portraying it are indeed a problem and a bad look. However, about that story with the "gang bangers" harassing the girls at the dealership? That's completely IC as well as the fights that one group may have with one another and the knife pull situation. I'm sorry to tell you this, but interactions like that can carry on in real life that way and can be as crazy as you described it. I don't think your gripe is the portrayal of the culture rather than the culture of the ghetto itself. Your perspective on some of these 'situations' is skewed from the perspective of being a regular everyday civilian. I'm going to break the situations down like this:

My issue is that, their behavior resulted in something that took place on the premises. That behavior got them denied of a purchase. Same applies to IRL, any business can deny service to anyone. My issue is the other type, the type that is actively looking for trouble and fights on OOC basis and not for their character development not to mention that I see that type more than anything else.

Edited by Vash Baldeus

I personally find it hard seeing people gunned down on street corners, then I see the same dudes at the same corner a few days later.

All south LS rp seems to be is shoot first post passive aggressive forum report later.

If you forced CKs the area would literally be a ghost town.

Another issue I've found, is that there is a lot of powergaming. People seem to be like, "I'm going to attack this guy" OOCly in their head and then end up just posting random chat messages that make no sense because their no responding to the other players messages, just trying to talk them into a fight?

Simple example:

Guy 1: "Why did you do that"

Guy 2: "I didnt"

Guy 1: "You better tell me why you did that bro"

*Guy 1 attacks guy 2*

I understand there are a lot of language barriers, but it's not an excuse. Half the time I have people do shit like "/me takes off", and because I speak English I stand there thinking that their running away or 'taking off' but no apparently that means they just start attacking you.

Edited by EMC
  • Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

My issue is the other type, the type that is actively looking for trouble and fights on OOC basis and not for their character development not to mention that I see that type more than anything else.

Think the problem with this is ironically the victim(s) of said fights sometimes assume the abuse their characters face IS OOC when it's honestly not but crossing that line themselves turns it OOC.

I think random harassment and attacks as long as they're obviously grounded with an evil IC reason and don't end with characters forced to die should be fine and always kept IC. The knockout game and happy slapping comes to mind in these sort of situations where innocent people are attacked for nothing more than a fad, it's fucked up and unfortunately a thing but we're simulating IRL scumbags here, not everything has to happen for a justified reason. 

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST

I had my blind character on a walk in south and she made her way onto Grove Street, she hadn't been around the area much before, and being blind you can imagine that she has struggles when it comes to recognizing where she is. She was met with nothing but aggression, a guy stating she was a spy, called ugly and to never come back, so well... she didn't.

• Upvote 1