South LS roleplay 😠

Aquila

As someone roleplaying homeless for a while now, I go into South Los Santos on occasion. It's generally quite deserted when I go around there and Grove Street, Covenant Avenue, and Jamestown Street are a big no-go for me. The roleplay quality is just too poor for me to have any interest in going there. Civilians have no business there either as you'll be met with aggression for no apparent reason, and if you're unlucky you'll get robbed too. These are my experiences however but I do reckon it is a proper representation of these areas. And as the rest of these areas are generally deserted, except for Jamestown, there is no real reason to go there for any civilian. If the roleplay was up to standard, I would go there more often, but I doubt it will be. Roleplayers with the capability to actually roleplay generally avoid poor areas if they can.

• Upvote 2
On 8/4/2021 at 2:58 AM, Aquila said:

So my question to the community is this: why is there such a stigma to South LS roleplay? What's turning people away? Is it the poor portrayal of people living in the hood? Is it random DM? Is it OOC racism (don't lie because I know it's there)? I'd like to get back into the RP scene there on a different character, because the one I had has IC moved on from it. The issue I found is that there are way too many 12-16 year olds there that it seems pretty linear and predictable, but I'm curious about other people's thoughts. All I see are vague posts on the forums about how gang RP is dead or generally crap, but I don't see many reasons as to why people feel this way.

Because majority of my encounters with Players, who are roleplaying a character from South LS, in some manner become hostile after being asked to be patient or not to do something. On my main character I run a car dealership, with specific set of rules established (which are: Do not drive into the lot unless sign says otherwise or you have permission & wait in line patiently). Both rules do not apply to players from South LS, they come in, see no one approach while I am busy with another customer they shout "who run dis' bish" (paraphrasing here), when asked to wait they refuse and become hostile.

"Once incident I recall from dealing with a hood character which was very recent, the guy rides his Sanchez into the lot, all this while I am speaking to another person. I ask him to drive out, the guy moves onto using slurs and refusing to drive out, before driving out he kicks my character while riding out, not to mention kicks one of the cars head lights after which I call 911. By the time cops arrive he left, several minutes pass he comes back, this time at the entrance to the lot proceeds to toss slurs at my character, customers get involved, fist fight, he pulls a knife mid fight, gets shot dead."

"Another incident that took place last week, I am speaking to a customer at the lot while two other females are looking at cars three guys clearly hood characters arrive. I noticed they stuck to those two girls (who were wearing sports bra's as they were on a jog), I approach them after I was done with the customer. They keep trying to get phone number, from the girls behavior I figured as much they are not okay with this. One of the guys wanted to buy a car, he was denied on basis of his friend harassing two other customers."

So after what I written above, majority of my encounters were somehow ending with them causing trouble or refusing to hear the word no. Most of the time, during these encounters they toss the racism card which never works, nothing to do with your skin color friend, it is your attitude that caused this response. Majority of the time they are looking for trouble, even at clubs I notice they start brawls with other factions or guys for petty things.

They want to be taken seriously, try to change the attitude of your characters and escalate when it is actually legitimate, not just fist fight I'll pull a knife.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
5 hours ago, DLimit said:

I run a restaurant within South-Central. So far, there's only been 2-3 extreme cases in the past month. It isn't all that bad, and each and every one of those situations were justified. You'll have the occasional 1-2 BF400 chain-robbers in the region. Other than that? I cannot complain. It's improved since last year.

They actually nerfed the performance of the BF400 after a severe incident that was the cause for the nerf.

5 hours ago, Harbinger said:

As someone roleplaying homeless for a while now, I go into South Los Santos on occasion. It's generally quite deserted when I go around there and Grove Street, Covenant Avenue, and Jamestown Street are a big no-go for me. The roleplay quality is just too poor for me to have any interest in going there. Civilians have no business there either as you'll be met with aggression for no apparent reason, and if you're unlucky you'll get robbed too. These are my experiences however but I do reckon it is a proper representation of these areas. And as the rest of these areas are generally deserted, except for Jamestown, there is no real reason to go there for any civilian. If the roleplay was up to standard, I would go there more often, but I doubt it will be. Roleplayers with the capability to actually roleplay generally avoid poor areas if they can.

Or you get hit on by random 16 y/os if you're RPing a female character.

27 minutes ago, Coburn said:

Or you get hit on by random 16 y/os if you're RPing a female character.

True, or you get attacked by them, and they're usually from London despite being in a Grove Street gang. Problematic, all round. 

Jokes aside, the hostility of those areas make it hard for 'culture' outside of a faction to exist, which vary street to street. If the area is especially hostile, you will struggle to walk down the street without a pack following you, a person asking where you're from, or it being completely deserted. Sometimes, you might even be shot.

It takes willing roleplayers to go to Davis, Rancho, Jamestown and create businesses for these places and to work with factions and faction politics to create a more thriving (in terms of roleplay) community. Unfortunately, for a host of reasons, that hasn't been feasible or sustainable for a long time and frankly, that does breed consequence-free, singular roleplay that veers into poor because once they're out, they're out, continuity isn't taken into consideration whatsoever. And this is even when every faction is bound to have a group that are fantastic storytellers and competent roleplayers. 

It's a shame. I'd like to see that change and for the south to have a community with the long-game and longevity in mind. 

Edited by shrike.
3 minutes ago, shrike. said:

It takes willing roleplayers to go to Davis, Rancho, Jamestown and create businesses for these places work with factions and faction politics to create a more thriving (in terms of roleplay) community.

It's gonna take them to do it all at once to create any effect. If people do it one at the time, they'll be drowned out.

8 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

Even then, it will still get robbed every other day. Or it will turn into shootouts.

It might. But I think dismissing the idea of trying to do more there will only make that more likely and prevalent. Things are the way they are because they have been left to fester and fall below a standard many others would like to see raised. 

15 minutes ago, Coburn said:

It's gonna take them to do it all at once to create any effect. If people do it one at the time, they'll be drowned out.

It will. There was some mild progress a while back with a rec center that fell on its face when the character spearheading it was CKed, which was unfortunate. It'll take more than one person, and probably an enduring kind of people with thick skin, OOC as much as IC. 

Edited by shrike.
  • Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, shrike. said:

It might. But I think dismissing the idea of trying to do more there will only make that more likely and prevalent. Things are the way they are because they have been left to fester and fall below a standard many others would like to see raised. 

There's just some doubt for me that it'll ever reach the same roleplay level as an area like Little Seoul. The area itself just attracts the bad roleplayers.