South LS roleplay 😠

Aquila

I run a restaurant within South-Central. So far, there's only been 2-3 extreme cases in the past month. It isn't all that bad, and each and every one of those situations were justified. You'll have the occasional 1-2 BF400 chain-robbers in the region. Other than that? I cannot complain. It's improved since last year.

3 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

Ive actually been trying to move in there to roleplay more, but the place is a black hole when it comes to properties. 

As such, my characters really can't have much of an excuse to be there. If anyone's willing to change that, I'd be willing to center a lot of my roleplay in that area.

Housing is a problem everywhere unfortunately. What bothers me the most is that a lot of neighbourhoods have absolutely no houses available to purchase whatsoever, but these neighbourhoods are barren or simply never occupied by its residents. The only neighbourhood I can see that is active with its residents is Little Seoul. I see no point in people having a house in a neighbourhood if they're never there at all. It's greedy and inconsiderate.

A while ago, you could roleplay living in one of the rooms in the apartment buildings found in Chamberlain Hills, but obviously now you can't because they're all occupied. It's ridiculous that there are so many houses around, but somehow with a peak of ~700 players, all the houses across the map are taken and a lot of the map is relatively dead? It's not right.

3 hours ago, AVAR said:

Well as @DasFroggy said housing there, is a problem. 

Then there is a problem with civilian rp, I mean what can they do? The Civilian rp that exist at the moment are people who are either in a leo faction when onduty or gov or medical.. a few dealership guys and some scripted jobs rpers.. and what they do mostly? Drive around in expensive cars and wait for clubs to open.( Yes Karen before  you feel triggered and gotta Tell me your char is different I talk about the majority of civilian rpers)

so all good or … not but what should civilian rpers do in „the hood“?

there aint alot of good options, rp a homeless dude ( I think its awesome but these chars dont Last long enough, from what i have seen in my 10years of rp) 

Roleplay a old ex gangmember? - seen it and it feels odd cause the Gang he might be from does not exist in the history of the current Gang in that area.

roleplay a civilian that works normally? But where do they work? (Seen a barbershop in little seoul, something like that would be awesome)

i dont know.. People sadly got a play to win mindset nobody wants to get beat up by a gang or getting robbed so what they do rp a civilian somewhere else in the more richer neighbourhoods  

Housing problem could be resolved if people stopped buying houses purely to have as an address for faction applications, or for flipping. As said above, we got too many neighbourhoods that are empty, and all houses are occupied by characters that are rarely ever seen in the area.

Civilian roleplayers, at least when South LS was somewhat active in 2018, usually just hung around as bystanders while conflict would happen. Some people played dice on the street corners or just do the (boring) "slice of life" roleplay that people love so much.

What good is there to being a civilian in Vinewood, Rockford Hills or Vespucci? I've spoken to a few people who are simply bored of the server because unfortunately there isn't much to do unless you're in a faction or a gang, with the former requiring a lot of unnecessary bureaucracy — this is odd, because we live in a time where people are actively filling out real life job applications due to the pandemic.

3 hours ago, Kari said:

Tbh, poor portrayl seems to be the largest issue. Most of the /good/ davis RPers I've met have been super good, but, they're simply outweighed by the undesirable ones. 

I've only met a couple on rare occasions. The rest seem to not know English well enough to portray even a standard American character — this is not a dig at people where English is not their primary language, but if they're struggling to communicate in standard English, then AAVE is going to be quite a challenge for them.

3 hours ago, ZaE said:

give sum ideas....

Well, when GTA:W and FiveRP were competing, there were quite a few gangs on both servers in South LS. They didn't belong to a real life gang, they were usually just neighbourhood or block-based gangs without names.

You need to be creative, and in South LS it really isn't that hard to start a gang without a plan. I don't see what's so interesting about copying something from real life and bringing it into the server; stale and overdone scenarios never end well and people try too hard to replicate something instead of organically creating roleplay, forming relations, and establishing their own groups.

3 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

The idea of having a not-very-good (public defender) lawyer living in south LS sounds like it has a lot of potential, assuming she can actually get a home there. The last attempt ended poorly however when the second landlord in a row demanded "a special favor" to rent there.

As for my other, not entirely legal character? If nobody minds, I'd be down for working the barber shop. Some help may be needed if it requires being recognized as an actual business OOC.

I think @Koko is still trying to get a hold of the barber shop between Chamberlain Hills and Rancho. Barber shop RP is actually a lot more interesting than I though, as I've done it myself one time. I'd argue that it's actually a LOT more beneficial for the server than the mechanic RP people value so much — these scenarios are literally one person roleplaying with an inanimate object that can't reply or do anything, whereas barber shop RP is interactive between at least two people.

2 hours ago, vaininsanity said:

More legal opportunities in South LS, e.g small time businesses ran by minorities, from chicken stops to taco stands, depending on where it is in South LS truly.

We need more of these for sure. Davis/Strawberry Mall seemed to be a failure, but I can't see any reason why other shops can't open. There needs to be more central hubs in the area for roleplay.

I know a barber shop would be a de facto neutral point for gangs.

4 minutes ago, DLimit said:

I run a restaurant within South-Central. So far, there's only been 2-3 extreme cases in the past month. It isn't all that bad, and each and every one of those situations were justified. You'll have the occasional 1-2 BF400 chain-robbers in the region. Other than that? I cannot complain. It's improved since last year.

Thing is, occasional chain robbers is something you'd see in 2017 GTA:W. We're in 2021, and the server hasn't tackled these issues yet.

I want South LS to be more than just a meme with racist undertones, and for it to be an immersive environment for roleplay that isn't solely gang-based. People seem to think that South LS is supposed to be an area for Europeans roleplaying 12 year olds dropping N-bombs twice per sentence, but it's much more than that. Somewhere down the line, the area's quality of roleplay deteriorated, and I've been away for too long to find out when it happened.

Edited by Aquila
  • Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Aquila said:

I want South LS to be more than just a meme with racist undertones, and for it to be an immersive environment for roleplay that isn't solely gang-based. People seem to think that South LS is supposed to be an area for Europeans roleplaying 12 year olds dropping N-bombs twice per sentence, but it's much more than that. Somewhere down the line, the area's quality of roleplay deteriorated, and I've been away for too long to find out when it happened.

👏👏👏 Barber shops, restaurants, there's a couple car washes there. It's not just all gang activity 24 hours a day or at least its not supposed to be. There's a lot that could be done here I feel if a group of people would commit to going in there and melding with the community with local characters who grew up in the area and encourage activity outside of normal gang related interactions.

Edited by 99
1 hour ago, 99 said:

👏👏👏 Barber shops, restaurants, there's a couple car washes there. It's not just all gang activity 24 hours a day or at least its not supposed to be. There's a lot that could be done here I feel if a group of people would commit to going in there and melding with the community with local characters who grew up in the area and encourage activity outside of normal gang related interactions.

It would be great if some of the businesses in the area were hiring, without having to depend on inactive business managers. If the barber shop and 24/7 could let you '/bjoin confirm' (roleplay that you work via an agency) without having to wait days for a manager/supervisor, then at least we can get some roleplay going. The inactive businesses need to be looked at properly.

1 hour ago, Goonbag said:

The biggest issue with the roleplay in South Central is the incompetent leadership of a certain umbrella faction that isn’t La eMe or The White Car. 

If you have issues with the leadership of the black car and the factions affiliated with us, you can contact myself or @MickeyO directly instead of loosely bashing us on the forums. On a side note, I’m happy that we are living rent free in your head. Let’s not derail this topic though.

Edited by TyJ
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Aquila said:

Well, when GTA:W and FiveRP were competing, there were quite a few gangs on both servers in South LS. They didn't belong to a real life gang, they were usually just neighbourhood or block-based gangs without names.

You need to be creative, and in South LS it really isn't that hard to start a gang without a plan. I don't see what's so interesting about copying something from real life and bringing it into the server; stale and overdone scenarios never end well and people try too hard to replicate something instead of organically creating roleplay, forming relations, and establishing their own groups..

People portray real life gangs because these gangs have decades long histories of oppression,  civil unrest, unity but also conflict. It's not just "taking the name from Wikipedia". People take the lingo, the history, the style of attire and the mentality then apply it to the server. All this is a starting point. From then on, whatever happens IC dictates how the faction changes.

That said, I do admit that a lot of street gangs are bland, uninteresting and just reskins of prior factions. Sometimes they even reuse the same thread structure and the RP is more or less the same. That I do not understand, but factions like that should not be the standard. 

• Upvote 1