Illegal RP and excessive violence

Copa Cabana

2 hours ago, Vassilios said:

While the system of one life then CK has been heavily criticized here, I believe that it would bring only positive things to roleplay.I bet all the people picking fights with randoms would stop if a CK was on the line, same with people chain-robbing, doing any kind of crime etc.

The issue I see with enforcing CKs after one death is that there will still be a subset of people willing/seeking to escalate a situation to murder. This might encourage people to kill even moreso than now, as their character is now at a risk of being permanently eliminated over any death.

5 minutes ago, FatherHay said:

Honestly, the % of prison sentence to be IC thing, I'm not sure'll do much either. Maybe I'm just tunnel visioned, since this seems to be the case in my faction - but I feel like most people do that anyways, because it makes the timer go down so fast. I was nearly released a day early from like a 6 day sentence, because I RP'd so much in prison. And with shorter sentences, like the <1 day ones, there's basically no point in /not/ signing in. Because you can get out in like a couple of hours. You might not even have to interact with anyone while you're there, depending on the time.

For good roleplayers such as yourself, it won't have any impact. For low-quality trolls and crimegrinders? It will be a massive inconvenience. Their effort to go out and wreak havoc while their other characters are "on cooldown" becomes more of an issue if there is no actual cooldown and they are instead required to roleplay to get those characters back.

The proposal faced a lot of resistance, despite it mostly just requiring roleplay, on a roleplay server...

2 minutes ago, Quaaludes said:

The issue I see with enforcing CKs after one death is that there will still be a subset of people willing/seeking to escalate a situation to murder. This might encourage people to kill even moreso than now, as their character is now at a risk of being permanently eliminated over any death.

This, and generally these people aren't the sorts who give a shit about their own characters dying, at least not to the same extent.

I've CKed two people and I swore to myself OOC I would never pursue another PK or CK. To get away with ONE murder in the twenty first century is unheard of, let alone two. I think it's poor portrayal on people who are excessively violent and brag about having killed people in the two digits like it's no small thing - be they in a gang, mob or none. Realistically, you'd go away for like 40 years for a single murder, if not life - these people who don't care about a murder charge don't care because their 17 year old character will get 9 months and won't even hit 18 by the time they're out. I suppose for people who OOC have never committed a murder (all of us, I would hope) it would be hard to truly understand what it does to someone's psyche.

Edited by LICE
  • Upvote 4

Some people here really hit the nail on its head. What I've encountered through 13 years of roleplay is that it boils down to OOC egos, i.e taking an L = ooc ego bruised. 

Whilst 99% of people will say that this does not apply to them, it mostly does, it's the root cause of play to win attitude and like @mj2002 said, a lot of roleplayers legal and illegal sided tends to only roleplay the good parts of their character, hence why the amount of drug addicts are extremely low, hence why most characters comes across as emotionless, almost robotic.

4 minutes ago, Quaaludes said:

1 minute ago, FatherHay said:

This, and generally these people aren't the sorts who give a shit about their own characters dying, at least not to the same extent.

If anything, it rewards trolls, as they coild then knowingly kill others and God only knows how many months if not years of roleplay, whereas when the troll is killed, they lose at best a character that was never really developed to begin with (and possibly a weapon used in the murders).

It would be pouring gasoline on a fire.

Maybe if we threw in a qualifier of needing to be armed in order to be CKd when killed, it would work well as an opt-in for the risk? Obtain a gun, get the risk that comes with it.

As someone roleplaying on the violent illegal side of the server, I believe there needs to be OOC measures to make sure there are IC consequences to characters who have several murders under their belt. It doesn't make sense that you can get away with 10-20 murders as a reckless gangbanger but I see it all the time both in my own faction and others.

NPCed witnesses? I'm just saying it should be considered when a gangland shooting occurs at a strip mall full of CCTV monitoring. This isn't the 1980s.

Problem is everyone wants to be top dog and be the dominant factor in the illegal section be it from street gangs to OCGs to further illegal organisations and barely anyone is willing to back down and politick it up with the opposition.

I've had some good interactions with politics (s/o @heathen) but no one wants to be the one to back down to another faction for two reasons:

Faction 1 won't cease the beef with Faction 2 in the end out of boredom or resort to "realistic beef" which ends in shooting again.

Or being clowned on an OOC scale, which sounds pathetic itself but everyone wants to be the shining example of Faction development and backing down is seen as "Ahah no shooters waa waa".

Something on FM side should be done, but its ultimately what. End of the day it is a game and falls down to the fun aspect and driving fast cars, shooting and so on fill that void, people say play GTAO for that but GTAO doesnt have the same consequences or vibe that RP servers have so ultimately its pointless to suggest that.

Also legal roleplayers there is a lot of you who do roleplay the fear correctly and ultimately will take a loss but you're a small amount in the huge sea that unfortunately will pull their gun at the first sight of a robbery, fight etc etc. Which also needs tackling on an Administrative side.

Edited by Oaks.
  • Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic